Thread: Feminism and Hinduism

Hybrid View

Feminism and Hinduism

Do you believe the two are incompatible? I believe Western feminism possibly is (as it is quite an adversarial -ism) but does that mean women cannot fight for their rights, as women, in Hindu organisations and India?

I ask this because something I said in another topic caused a few ripples.

Re: Feminism and Hinduism

Do you see any incompatibilities? Do you see anything that you disagree with in Hinduism in the light of feminism?

And I think feminism became such a broad term that I'd have to ask: What part/fashion of feminism are you referring to?

Namaste DK,

I'm echoing Pietro on this one, is there a particular aspect of feminism you had in mind which led you to feel its ideals would clash with Hindu principles? Would just like to know some more before I go ahead and share my views.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Well, I'm not sure. I have encountered people vehemently against any form of female liberation and people all for it. I am off the opinion that feminism should be based on raisinb women to equality with men. We both have our strengths and weaknesses but I don't support the type of feminism that says women are better then men but neither do I support the idea that men are better than women.

Considering the fact that even Conservative Hinduism treats women's rights better than Christianity or Islam, I'd say yes.

...and then there are Shaktas (like me) who believe in treating every woman with great respect, as you would your mother.

Striyah devah, Striyah pranah: "Women are Devas, women are life itself."

Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    Considering the fact that even Conservative Hinduism treats women's rights better than Christianity or Islam, I'd say yes.

...and then there are Shaktas (like me) who believe in treating every woman with great respect, as you would your mother.

"Feminism" in Shaktism and nonsense such as the aforementioned where women are specifically venerated as being Divine is very peculiar to Bengal region.

Personally I feel quite emasculated having to put women as worthy of worship be it maternal or otherwise. I don't worship my own or human masculinity in general in the form of Lord Vishnu or Shiva.

I don't know what is it with people who think that Goddess worship automatically means Matriarchy and Feminism. Because in Vaishnavism, we are still taught to treat women well. For me the masculine gender of Lord Vishnu is not a matter of something anthropomorphic. It's nothing at all like that where Vishnu is a literal male - "Father". If you look upon Lord Vishnu as you would to your biological father then you will never understand Him. As is the case with Devi.

South Indians, especially their television is notorious for this sort of thing. They say "the womb that bears the burden of pregnancy and gives birth is synonymous to the Deva", "this bride is as beautiful and auspicious as Lakshmi".

No!

This is nothing but heresy.

The same people who try to connect Feminism with Shaktism are the same people who not only denounce caste system (not even from just a practical pov - one could speak about the treatment of all devotees as equal yet believe in a form of a division of society for function of it by allocating occupation based on the inherent nature which qualifies them such as in Shri Vaishnavism where even Shudras are accepted to perform certain rituals) but a total denouncement and chastisement of it. Hence technically it opposes Vedic orthodoxy.

I was never saying anything about the Goddess Herself nor Shaktism. Shaktism is a Vedic religion.

People seem to be mixing my opposition to "Feminism" with Shaktism. What an irony!

Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post

Females(human) are not the Goddess. Just as Jivas are not the Devas.

I follow the scriptures. Whatever they contain are on purpose for reasons.

The Devi Bhagavata Purana is a principle text of Shaktism. So shall we take a look at it?

It is said that upon initially encountering Durga, Mahishasura underestimated her, thinking: "How can a woman kill me, Mahishasur—the one who has defeated the trinity of gods?" However, Durga roared with laughter, which caused an earthequake which made Mahishasur aware of her powers.

And the terrible Mahishasura rampaged against her, changing forms many times. First he was a buffalo demon, and she defeated him with her sword. Then he changed forms and became an elephant that tied up the goddess's lion and began to pull it towards him. The goddess cut off his trunk with her sword. The demon Mahishasur continued his terrorizing, taking the form of a lion, and then the form of a man, but both of them were gracefully slain by Durga.
    We see that Mahishasura (an asura is the most ignorant form of creature) undermines the Goddess and insults Her as a woman.

The Goddess laughs in response. And does something which shows Her powers to him. In other words she passes off what he says in a way that points his stupidity and proceeds to correct him by making him aware of Her true identity(i.e Her Supremacy).

AFAIK there is no such a story in any Vaishnava Purana or Shaiva Purana. Nothing that would suggest that Vishnu or Shiva are considered superior mistakenly based upon them being males for which a correction is made.

The understanding here is that the asura thinks that he having beaten the males Gods could defintely take the female because he relates the situation of creatures to the Gods (where males are physically superior to females). That is where his stupidity lies and is his fatal flaw.

If it is female chauvinism and misandry, then it isn't compatible with hinduism at all.

There is also a belief in hindu culture that a wife should obey the wishes of her husband and that she should be chaste etc, and women are seen as mothers in hindu culture (as opposed to western culture where they are viewed as sexual icons or as the superior gender). Gender roles for women like marriage and motherhood are often frowned on and renounced by feminists. Although women being viewed as sex objects is frowned upon much more in feminism.

Namaste

Attraction and aversion are two sides of the same coin. Neither can bring spiritual elevation. So, first one has to distinguish : is it aversion to men ? Or is it Nivrutti that is making someone stay away from gruhastAshram ? This is one ashram which essentially runs on the wheels of pravrutti that take one towards nivrutti. If it is real nivrutti - possibly rare - then it cannot be classified as extreme chauvinistic feminism or misandry. Coercing someone like that into marriage just because shAstra says so can be detrimental to everyone involved - i would call that going backwards. The fuel of pravrutti so much needed to undertake the responsibility is either long gone or missing.

However, if it is aversion to men and serving men, then that is strong conditioning to be sorted out and overcome. However, just because it is conditioning to be overcome does not necessarily mean it would be wise to get married with that conditioning. Would it not be better instead to take to spirituality and overcome the anarthas ?

------------------

Shrimad BhAgvat Canto 7
    chapter 11
    - VarNAshram duties,
    chapter 12 - spiritual duties of each ashram

SB 7.11.25: To render service to the husband, to be always favorably disposed toward the husband, to be equally well disposed toward the husband's relatives and friends, and to follow the vows of the husband — these are the four principles to be followed by women described as chaste.

SB 7.11.28 says the chaste wife should serve the husband who is not fallen i.e. it says that the rule applies only if the husband is also chaste - or a pure VaishNav.

Of Course, one should not take that literally, but rather , try to help the husband stay away from mAyA. The import here, is that one should choose their spouse wisely in the first place, such that it is conducive to spiritual progress of both. This is what VaishNav acharyas call daivi varNAshram dharma.

So although it appears like Hinduism supports male dominance, true spiritual Hinduism is about striking the balance, offers respectful roles to both - as has been stated in posts above, and certainly discourages and fights against abuse. (I told you Govind the AdiPurush never leaves loopholes ).

Govindam AdiPurusham Tam aham bhajAmi ~
    Last edited by smaranam; 18 May 2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: increased font for SB verse
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information