Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daoism & Dharma

Re: Daoism & Dharma

I don't think we should be dismissive and merely say he is trying to combine asian philosophy. I believe he is showing their similarities in many respects.

Sarabangha mentions Taoism briefly on this post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...1&postcount=81

Namaste all,
    Could someone respond to last part of TheOne's post with a deviation as advice?:
    Now comes the "hard part". What is "better"(subjectively of course) to live in accord with the ultimate reality and be close in relationship or to strive to be united with it? Are they the same? Are they different? Why does it matter?
    Is the question of which is better to be Sugar itself or to taste it? Is this an individual choice or is there something within scripture to say one goal is right and one isn't?
    Thanks very much.
    Peace.
    Rich

I didn't mean what is "better" I meant to show the difference between Dharma and Daoism. While in Dharma the "ultimate goal" is seen to reunify with the Universal Principle Daoism is living in harmony with the Universal Principle.

Ultimately, I see no difference in "living in accord" as opposed to "living in" because they are different ways of looking at the same "problem"

Namaste TheOne,
    You answered your view on your question and as a follower of your thread, I appreciate it. Hope there are more responses to your question. I find it a very interesting question and hope to get some insight from more responses. In the meantime, would you mind expounding on your response?
    Peace,
    Rich

I didn't mean what is "better" I meant to show the difference between Dharma and Daoism. While in Dharma the "ultimate goal" is seen to reunify with the Universal Principle Daoism is living in harmony with the Universal Principle.

Ultimately, I see no difference in "living in accord" as opposed to "living in" because they are different ways of looking at the same "problem"[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post

Ultimately, I see no difference in "living in accord" as opposed to "living in" because they are different ways of looking at the same "problem"
    I think Yajvan ji has answered the best possible answer you are seeking(if)!

Dharma is the nature and science of the universe/nature and its principles behind it"s harmony.
    Daoism is asking to live in accord with harmony of nature.so to live in harmony you have to know how? that principle is laid in dharma(which is seen by seers).

so either way...whether you want to be one with nature or by simply living in accord with it, you are going to same goal...

and the goal is where nature will take into (if you follow its principle).
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend from the West View Post
    Namaste all,
    Could someone respond to last part of TheOne's post with a deviation as advice?:
    Now comes the "hard part". What is "better"(subjectively of course) to live in accord with the ultimate reality and be close in relationship or to strive to be united with it? Are they the same? Are they different? Why does it matter?
    Is the question of which is better to be Sugar itself or to taste it? Is this an individual choice or is there something within scripture to say one goal is right and one isn't?
    Thanks very much.
    Peace.
    Rich
    your question is not relevant to the thread posted by TheOne.because this thread is never questioning about the impersonal aspect of God and our relationship to him/her.

you can ask this and discuss in vaishnav threads.

jayaguru

Your question is regarding ultimate goal of life.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Vannakam all,

Having formerly pursued Taoism I would like to make a point on the concept of Tao.

As is outlined in the Tao te Ching from a philisophical Taoist standpoint the way is the indescribable creation and creator, it is akin to the concept of Atman and Brahman in more ways than one.

It is omnipresent. We all embody it, but it is not able to be truly described as it is beyond the scope of human comprehension, what we are actually talking about is not Tao, Tao is nameless, formless but is at the same time everything in and out of existence.

Having studied the Wen-Tzu and Tao Te Ching of Lao-Tzu as well as the Chuang Tzu and other Taoist literature and scripture I find many similarities between the two religions. Primarily the ultimate goal of both is to return to the Tao or Atman (which in my eyes are a similar concept)

I hope this has been if nothing else a little enlightening on the matter.

Namaste

Thread Information