Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tattoos of god images?

Re: tattoos of god images?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

If a tattoo = a mark on one's self this mark (lakṣaṇa¹) exists on us all already. We have the ~mark~ of ignorance, and the ~mark~ of the Supreme that resides within us all day long. Yet many want it to be percievable, viewable (lakṣya¹).

For me I wish to keep the mark (liṅgam¹) un-percieved as this aligns to how the devatā wish to work. This is confirmed in the aitareya upaniad¹, that the devatā-s are fond of the 'indirect' way.

praām

words
    • lakṣaṇa - a mark , sign , symbol , token , characteristic , attribute , quality
    • lakṣya - observable , perceptible , visible
    • liṅgam - mark, badge , emblem , characteristic i.e. tal-liṅga having anything for a mark or sign ; in logic it is vyāpya , the invariable mark which proves the existence of anything in an object
    • aitareya upaniṣad 3.14
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

If a tattoo = a mark on one's self this mark (lakṣaṇa¹) exists on us all already. We have the ~mark~ of ignorance, and the ~mark~ of the Supreme that resides within us all day long. Yet many want it to be percievable, viewable (lakṣya¹).

For me I wish to keep the mark (liṅgam¹) un-percieved as this aligns to how the devatā wish to work. This is confirmed in the aitareya upaniad¹, that the devatā-s are fond of the 'indirect' way.

praām

words
    • lakṣaṇa - a mark , sign , symbol , token , characteristic , attribute , quality
    • lakṣya - observable , perceptible , visible
    • liṅgam - mark, badge , emblem , characteristic i.e. tal-liṅga having anything for a mark or sign ; in logic it is vyāpya , the invariable mark which proves the existence of anything in an object
    • aitareya upaniṣad 3.14
    How would the supreme 'react' per say to an individual getting a religious tattoo in order to help their spiritual progress even if indirectly is a hindrance in the lords eyes? Is it permissable

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté IcySFX

Quote Originally Posted by IcySFX View Post
    How would the supreme 'react' per say to an individual getting a religious tattoo in order to help their spiritual progress even if indirectly is a hindrance in the lords eyes? Is it permissable
    I would be embarrasing myself if I even hinted that I knew how the Supreme would react.

Yet if someone asked me for my personal opinion on this matter, I would wear the markings of śiva or viṣṇu on my forehead per our tradition if one wished to have a visiable mark. If one would wish to keep their lakṣaṇa private (as I wish to) then I would wear rudrāka. Here we can be confident of the benefits that accompany wearing this rudrāka that are pointed out in the śiva mahāpurāṇa.

praām

yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Would a visible or non-visible Aum tattoo be okay?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté IcySFX

... do as you see fit.

Let me offer my position on this and any other type of tattoo. I came into this world unmarked, I will leave it as such.

The body comes and goes, that is why it is called śarīra¹.
    IMHO to spend time on marking the body with something that will be gone, and the symbol on the skin that will shrivel with age, where one will not even be able to make out what the mark was to begin with seems to me precious time lost. I would much rather spend the effort doing ajapa-gāyatrī which brings the supreme closer to me. I would much rather take the money that would be used for the tattoo and offer it to some one in need.

These are my thoughts , others may differ.

praām

1. śarīra - 'that which is easily destroyed or dissolved'; the body , bodily frame
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Namaste Icy.

I have a devanagari Om on my right delt. Every Hindu I have met who has seen it (in summer I run around in sleeveless t shirts) loves it and is "tickled pink".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

I respect your opinion Yajvan and I will meditate on the matter a little longer before making a decision.

Lovely tattoo Touched - I like the design, looks nice.

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Thanks.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté IcySFX

... do as you see fit.

Let me offer my position on this and any other type of tattoo. I came into this world unmarked, I will leave it as such.

The body comes and goes, that is why it is called śarīra¹.
    IMHO to spend time on marking the body with something that will be gone, and the symbol on the skin that will shrivel with age, where one will not even be able to make out what the mark was to begin with seems to me precious time lost. I would much rather spend the effort doing ajapa-gāyatrī which brings the supreme closer to me. I would much rather take the money that would be used for the tattoo and offer it to some one in need.

These are my thoughts , others may differ.

praām

1. śarīra - 'that which is easily destroyed or dissolved'; the body , bodily frame

Could you explain what wearing rudrākṣa means? I don't quite understand but I am interested because I like privacy and do not like having to explain my actions to people. I agree with what you have to say concerning tattoos.

In my opinion people get tattoos for two reasons. The first is ego. We are able to separate ourselves from others and make ourselves unique by having these marks on our skin.

The second, which is pretty far-fetched, is that our higher-self is trying to tell us to control our senses. Our lower-self interprets this as trying to ignore our sense of feeling and go through the pain of tattoos, which many people become addicted to.

I once considered getting tattoos of deities. My reasoning was I wanted to remember they were there beside me. Upon further investigation into my reasoning it was because I wanted to impress people.

The marks on my skin would not lead me to be more mindful, they would most likely just become a distraction as they would draw attention to my individuality.
    Last edited by arjunah; 14 June 2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: wanted to clarify things
    "The leprosy of unreality disfigured every human creature in attendance."
    - Charles Dickens

"Every blade of grass, every insect, ant, and golden bee, all so marvelously know their path, though they have not intelligence, they bear witness to the mystery of God and continually accomplish it themselves."
    - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

namasté

ॐ रुद्राय नमः
    oṁ rudrāya namaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by arjunah View Post
    Could you explain what wearing rudrākṣa means?
    Please consider this HDF Post:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6228

praṇām
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Thread Information