Thread: When did you get interested in spirituality?

When did you get interested in spirituality?

When and why did you get interested in spirituality (more specifically Hinduism).

I got interested in spirituality (soon Hinduism) when I was young and going through some hard times.

What About you?

Re: When did you get interested in spirituality?

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    I got in touch with Sanatana Dharma through ISKCON back in 2003, it was a great experience, new years eve, a lot of devotees singing bhajan in an yet to be temple site. I saw different clothes, different instruments, different people, with different painting on their faces. My world had just collapsed there, something incredibly different from anything my tiny infant rational mind had ever conceived was presented to me. I couldn't understand the mantras, I couldn't understand anything, but it just hit me inside of what I really was.
    It was the start of my Rahu dasha back in 2003 and I remeber inquiring with a friend of mine some years earlier:

What is God? Can he be of human form? How he came to be? Is coming to be a concept limited by time? What is eternity? Can we conceive eternity? Our conclusion was that our brains weren't enough to comprehend these matters. If I analyze the events carefully, I came to Hinduism by my own will.

My siksha guru uses to say that we don't arrive at Sanatana Dharma through karma, but through our own desire. He uses the analogy of a child playing with its toy oven, he'll mix dirt, plants and pretend he's cooking, but when he's really hungry he'll naturally seek his mother.

Hari Om!

I've been interested in religion for as long as I can remember. At age 8 or so, my parents had to call over the preacher to answer my questions on religion because they couldn't. He didn't seen to be able to either. Simple things at that. That lead me to a quest to find where I belonged because I knew that my Christian roots had been pulled out and nothing remained. I studied all of the western religions but was kept from the Eastern processes mainly due to a lack of understanding at the time. Later in life, I went through a metaphysical phase which finally lead to the study of Eastern religion, a fascination with India, and finally a home in Hinduism. All of my life I knew that I had "the calling" to serve as clergy in whatever form that might take. In Hinduism, I find that I gravitate towards being a monk and have taken my brahmacharya vrata as a result as a start to the process.

I know that this explanation is probably a little more detailed than the question begs, but hopefully others will share deeply as well either here or in other threads because getting to know our fellow forum members would be nice IMHO.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    When and why did you get interested in spirituality (more specifically Hinduism).

I got interested in spirituality (soon Hinduism) when I was young and going through some hard times.

What About you?
    "I" was having no intrests in spirituality.

But but but....

"I" don't know when and why spirituality got intrested in me.

In the sence i want to say: Who am "I" to get intrested in spirituality??? because spirituality is bigger than me, and its spirituality who got intrested in me, "I" not.

And yes! not only hinduism, i don't know how many ISMS or TEACHINGS will spirituality force me to follow.

Truely i want to be flexible.
    Truely i want to be learner.

_/\_ Jasdir.
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

I have a pretty lame answer. I was raised Hindu and started reading texts like the Bhagavad Gita a couple years ago. Partly it was because I knew all the stories of Hindu Scriptures, but had never read the Scriptures. I found it interesting, and I've become progressively more interested in spirituality ever since.

Pranam all

I guess it is very difficult to pin point a particular point in time, we get up we fall and we get up again, we chew the chewed time and again.
    Until we exhaust all our desires and hate this learning process continues.
    Human birth is very rare, our only goal should be Brahm Jigyasa, am i on that path? hard to tell, interest is one thing, walking the talk is like walking on double edge sword.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Vannakkam: I probably (am not sure though) got interested in Hinduism several lifetimes back. Previous lifetime hints come up in the first words of youth. Since my mother told me I used to say that I wanted to go to the high mountains of Tibet to meditate when I was really young, one could logically conclude I was at least Eastern in a previous life.

As for this lifetime, it was pretty clear I was different at a young age. I don't know at one point I recognised this as Hinduism.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information