Thread: Ayyavazhi and its theory of universal evolution

Ayyavazhi and its theory of universal evolution

So today I ran accross this Hindu sect that I wasn't aware of, thanks to Wikipedia, of course.

It's pretty similar to Hinduism on the whole of its teachings and tenets (e.g. Ekam is a concept similar to Brahman), but rejects the Veda saying it was corrupted with the force of Kali Yukam (Yuga).

Ayyavazhi accepts various incarnations in Hinduism, but necessarily rejects the so called ' Hindu ' scriptures. It initially accepts Vedas.[164] Later since Kaliyan had bought the Vedas as boon they too lost their substance by the advent of Kaliyan, and so had gone invalid. It also says that he (Kaliyan) had performed several additions and had hidden some of their content. And hence God incarnated as Vaikundar. So for the present age, Akilam is said to be the only 'Book of Perfection' . By this Ayyavazhi rejects all other scriptures and follows only its own. Akilam highly condemns the creation of religions especially exclusivistic religious and theological ideas. It shows them as the foremost Kali mayai (evil of Kali).[165] The scriptures teach sensibly and symbolically that God and his activities are beyond the reach of religions. It also preaches about universal oneness.[2]
    It's also interesting in their mythology and theology to find bits that would explain this change of focus from Shaivism towards Vaishnavism (if that is accurate).

The Hindu and Ayyavazhi ideologies are closely tied to each other. The place where Ayyavazhi and Hinduism depart from each other is at the advent of Kali Yuga. Akilam says that until Kali Yuga, the Vedas and all other Hindu scriptures remain with divinity. Each of the gods referred to in scriptures (Hindu) also remain with all their powers. But from the beginning of Kali Yuga they and all their virtues collapsed.[187] Kaliyan was a part of the mundane primordial manifestation who spread maya or illusion upon the existing scriptures and Devas.[188] In Kali Yuga, all true scriptures are bound to maya and are unhelpful.

The reason, as stated in Akilam for the disintegration of the entire system is that, towards the end of Dwapara Yuga there in Kailash, Siva believing the words of devas, created Kaliyan without discussing to Vishnu, he who had the responsibility to destroy the Kaliyan as per the previous deeds.[189] So Vishnu refused to take birth in the world to destroy Kaliyan.[190] So Siva and Brahma surrendered all their powers to Vishnu.[191] Until this event, Siva was the supreme power as per Akilam. It is notable that this is a theological idea something similar to Shaivism, where Siva is supreme to all. Now onwards, however, Vishnu is the supreme power.[192] Here the ideology changes similar to that of Vaishnavism. This supremacy of Vishnu remains like this from the beginning of Kali Yuga until the incarnation of Vaikundar, from where it changes further.
    One of the most intriguing elements however is their view on universal evolution. I can't make any sense out of it:

Full resolution: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Evolution.png

So what do you guys tell me of this? Is this more like a local/cultural variance of Sanatana Dharma? How much weight and consideration should one give to the claims of the lost of strength of the Vedas in our present age? I'm just very curious!

Om Tat Sat

Source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayyavazhi
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayyavazhi_theology
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayyavazhi_scriptures
    Last edited by Adhvagat; 15 April 2011 at 05:45 AM.

Re: Ayyavazhi and its theory of universal evolution

Great religion. I would recommend that you convert to it. Theres no idol worship - just the way you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar_Das View Post
    Great religion. I would recommend that you convert to it. Theres no idol worship - just the way you like it.
    The way I like? What would that be? I'm surprised you know such intimacies about my persona.

PS: If someone from India (or knowledgeable about) can contribute to this thread about this cultural and religious manifestation, I'd be deeply thankful.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

Namasté nac,

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    It's pretty similar to Hinduism on the whole of its teachings and tenets (e.g. Ekam is a concept similar to Brahman), but rejects the Veda saying it was corrupted with the force of Kali Yukam (Yuga).
    A question of orthodox and unorthodox - A view of Reality.

• āstika or आस्तिक means there is or exists;
    • nāstika or na+ astika नास्तिकor it is not so and this word nāstika नास्तिक is not believing, or atheistical ( this does not suggest not believing in God, yet it needs to be defined, to set the stage)
    What does this mean? āstika there exists , or a regard that the veda-s as infallible, the final word, without doubt. Hence this is called Orthodox i.e. the Veda-s as the foundation of infallible truth;
    Compare this to nāstika which does not regard the Veda-s as infallible or the final authority; Hence this view is considered Unorthodox.

praṇām

यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information