Thread: Kumkum & Haldi

Kumkum & Haldi

So... I went out to dinner with my neighbours tonight and then we went to an Indian grocery store called India @ Home which has a lot of things (so many, many things!). Now my neighbours know that I ascribe to Hinduism (as do they) and they recommended that I buy some haldi and kumkum.

I'm not sure on what I am meant to do them. Apparently I am meant to apply the kumkum to the deities on my altar? And the haldi is especially important with Devi? And I can apply the kumkum to myself after applying it to the deities?

I'm just a little lost, as you can see.

Re: Kumkum & Haldi

Cute! Let me know when you find out.
    Iksvakave

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    So... I went out to dinner with my neighbours tonight and then we went to an Indian grocery store called India @ Home which has a lot of things (so many, many things!). Now my neighbours know that I ascribe to Hinduism (as do they) and they recommended that I buy some haldi and kumkum.

I'm not sure on what I am meant to do them. Apparently I am meant to apply the kumkum to the deities on my altar? And the haldi is especially important with Devi? And I can apply the kumkum to myself after applying it to the deities?

Re: Kumkum & Haldi

Namaste DK,

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post

Kumkum is offered to Goddess while doing Puja (applied on forhead or feet of the deity). After offering it to Goddess, a part of the remaining kumkum is applied as a bindi (circular dot) on the forehead by the lady worshipper. Though it is again not strict in that sense ... you may find even male devotees applying it on their forehead.

Haldi/turmeric is mark of being auspicious ... so it is used in many ways by the Hindus. It is applied to the deity just like sandal paste (after making a paste by mixing with a little water). It is also used to colour the dhoti/white garment of the devotee ... it is also given to daughters by the mother and other ladies of the house with some rice etc. as a symbol of wishing good and auspicious for her. Haldi is also seen connected with the married life of a girl.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information