Thread: Gita

Gita

Why must I look at a puddle of water when I can drink from the sweet river directly offered by Bhagwan himself?
    satay

Re: Gita

which is the puddle of water? The bible?
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Re: Gita

Here is a good source of reference for Gita, as obtained from the Kanchi Forum:

His Holiness Swami Dayananda Sarasvati Swamigal is one of the foremost thinkers and teachers today. I am using his Srimad Bhagavad Gita Home Study Guide (a 4-volume work of a lifetime) to study the Gita; he has explained the nuances of the Hindu thought so beautifully - I am thoroughly enjoying it.

For getting the books Please check

http://books.arshavidya.org/cgi-bin/...%20%26%20Video

or

Sastraprakasika Trust,
    Chandra Vilas Apartments,
    A-3,No.9, 8th street, Dr. Radhakrishna Salai,
    Mylapore, Chennai 600 004
    Phone: 044 28470311/ 28475009
    Email: info@sastraprakasika.org
    http://www.sastraprakasika.org

Here's some more information >>
    - This is a 4-volume series. Just to give you an idea, Volume 1 comes in hard-bound version, is 8.5 in x 11 in x 1.25", weighs about 4 lbs. It covers Chapters 1, 2, and 3 of the BhagavadGita and is about 500+ pages thick. The other three volumes are equally exhaustive and together cover all the 18 chapters of this great work.
    - Each sloka is printed in Sanskrit text, with the English transliteration, then word-by-word literal meaning, then the meaning of the whole sloka, and then an exhaustive commentary by Swamiji based on Sri Adhi Sankara's Sankarabhasyam.
    - Apart from the slokas themselves, Sri Dayananda Saraswati Swamigal has lucidly explained the Hindu Philosophy, given detailed explanation of commonly misunderstood words like Dharma, Karma, Vasanas and other - to ensure that the reader has the fundamentals in good shape - enough to understand the Gita.
    - References to the Vedas, Ramayana, Mahabaratha (the great epic in which this gem called Bhagavad Gita has been set) abound - to explain the context and the meaning.

While the size and the enormous volume may frighten the casual reader, I can guarantee you that once you start reading it, it flows beautifully - you won't keep it down until you finish!!

Sri Dravidadwija-ji has given all the contact details. Here's some more information about the book and where you get get it >>

Title of the book-series: BhagavadGita Home study Course, Volumes 1 through 4
    Author: Swami Dayananda Saraswati
    Publishers: Sruti Seva Trust, Arsha Vidya Gurukulam, Anaikatti, Coimbatore 641 108
    Printers: Rathna Offset Printers, 40, Peters Road, Royapettah, Chennai 600 014.

Available at >>

USA -
    Arsha Vidya Gurukulam, P.O.Box 1059, Saylorsburg, PA 18353. PHone number 570-992-2339.

India -

Chennai -
    Sastraprakasika Trust, Chandra Vilas Apartments, A-3, No 19, 8th Street, Dr.Radhakrishnan Salai, Mylapore, Chennai 600 004. Phone: 044-2847-5009; 2847-0311; Fax: 2847-8597.

Coimbatore -
    Arsha Vidya Gurukulam, Anaikatti PO, Coimbatore 641 108, Phone: 0422-2657-001; Fax: 2657-002.

Rishikesh -
    Swami Dayananda Ashram, Purnai Jhadi, P.O.Box 30, Rishikesh 249 201; Phone 0135-2430-769.

Ahmedabad -
    Adhyatma Vidya mandir, Thatlej-Shilaj Road, Thatlej, Ahmedabad 380 058; Phone 079-2468-333.

(Contributions from: 'valmikipr', 'Dravidadwija'
    Link ref: http://www.kanchiforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1912)
    I understand that the Indian edition of the book costs Rs.400/- for each volume. Is this Pujya Dhayananda the same as the author of the Veda books you referred to, Varun Arya ji?

Thread Information