Thread: Which version?

Which version?

I have read the Bhagavad Gita once before with commentary and everything. However, I am looking to reread it again because the first time around, I was too caught up in all the commentary and I felt like I really missed the message behind the Gita. I have several different versions, some with commentary, others not.

I am thinking that I should read a translation without the commentary first, such as the free copy I have done by the International Gita Society. I definitely consider myself a Vaisnava so I'm interested in Vaisnava commentary for the future. I have Bhagavad Gita as It Is (that's actually the one I read first) but I'm not sure if I'm too interested in Iskcon. I am thinking I should purchase the Gita with Vaisnava commentary that was done by Śrīla Bhaktivedānta Nārāyaṇa Gosvāmī Mahārāja?

Re: Which version?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Lailaphetes View Post
    I have read the Bhagavad Gita once before with commentary and everything. However, I am looking to reread it again because the first time around, I was too caught up in all the commentary and I felt like I really missed the message behind the Gita. I have several different versions, some with commentary, others not.

I am thinking that I should read a translation without the commentary first, such as the free copy I have done by the International Gita Society. I definitely consider myself a Vaisnava so I'm interested in Vaisnava commentary for the future. I have Bhagavad Gita as It Is (that's actually the one I read first) but I'm not sure if I'm too interested in Iskcon. I am thinking I should purchase the Gita with Vaisnava commentary that was done by Śrīla Bhaktivedānta Nārāyaṇa Gosvāmī Mahārāja?
    I am of the opinion ( and practice) that multiple versions and authors of the bhāgavad gītā are good to read and study.

One then gets multiple views and can compare and contrast ideas. This has been my approach - others may vary.

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Here is a post that will give different authors and recommendations:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...2174#post52174

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Lailaphetes,

When I first read the Gita, it was with commentary by Swami Prabhupada. This was before I really knew much about ISKCON or what they were about. In addition to that, I've also read it without commentary. I would recommend reading it without any commentary first. Yajvanji offers a great suggestion to read multiple commentaries to get different perspectives on the text.

Jai Sri Ram

Thread Information