Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ahimsa - The real definition?

Ahimsa - The real definition?

Namaste all,

This might sound silly I just wanted to know more about the concept of Ahimsa as I'm a bit confused on this regard. Isn't killing a mosquito equally wrong as slaughtering livestock for food? How do you define Ahimsa?

Om.

Re: Ahimsa - The real definition?

What about microcellular life that we kill by just moving or breathing?

Just an exaggerated example to see how we need to set a bar for ahimsa.

Related topics:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=55364
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=416
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6515
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7103
    Last edited by Adhvagat; 18 April 2011 at 07:37 PM.

Namaste Sadhaka,

This is something I used to think about a lot. It is Jainism that takes ahimsa to an "extreme", but Hinduism doesn't go that far. For example, Hindus generally don't go around killing animals, but we also don't go around wearing nets over our mouths or sweeping the streets in front of us as we walk. Although of course there are nothing but good intentions in doing that and it shouldn't be condemned or anything, I believe Hinduism takes a much more reasonable stance on ahimsa. Also of course even in regards to killing other humans, there is the concept of a righteous or dharmic war in Hinduism.

In regards to what Pietro said, I even used to think about ahimsa when eating vegetables, as they were once living plants. I read somewhere that some Jains even avoid eating root vegetables for this reason. But, Sri Krishna does tell us in the Gita that we can offer food like that to Him and He will accept it
    Jai Sri Ram

Hinduism takes a much more practical stand on ahimsa indeed. Taking the example of a mosquito, it is a pest which causes a variety of dangerous diseases to both humans and other animals, which can prove to be crippling or even lethal; it's therefore important to eradicate them for the greater good. On the other hand, slaughtering livestock for meat is not the same thing at all - not only are they harmless creatures which do us great benefit by providing milk and manure, but we can easily live without eating meat (proteins and essential amino acids are available from plant sources as well). Killing them for their flesh only serves the purpose of satisfying the taste buds.

SD advocates great respect for nature in that context. I read that we even had mantras asking for the forgiveness of trees and plants before cutting them, although they aren't recited anymore.
    Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I concentrate my attention on the son of Pavana,
    And humbly ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to relieve me of all painful blemishes.

Namaste,

That was extremely helpful

Om

Vannakkam Sadhaka: Ahimsa also applies to mental stuff, not just physical. We shouldn't even think harmful thoughts, or watch violent movies, or play violent video games. Mystically, the inner currents ida and pingala are spun and disturbed from peaceful slumber from mental stuff, although this is only believed by the more mystical inner branches of SD. For example, I view the writing of horror or violence as adharmic. I personally couldn't do it, but others can, and it is up to each individual.

But as others have said, it does vary from individual to individual how much is applied. It even varies within the same person from day to day. I have slapped mosquitoes on my arm as well as blown them off. So how you apply ahimsa is up to you.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Sadhaka: Ahimsa also applies to mental stuff, not just physical. We shouldn't even think harmful thoughts, or watch violent movies, or play violent video games. Mystically, the inner currents ida and pingala are spun and disturbed from peaceful slumber from mental stuff, although this is only believed by the more mystical inner branches of SD. For example, I view the writing of horror or violence as adharmic. I personally couldn't do it, but others can, and it is up to each individual.

But as others have said, it does vary from individual to individual how much is applied. It even varies within the same person from day to day. I have slapped mosquitoes on my arm as well as blown them off. So how you apply ahimsa is up to you.

Aum Namasivaya
    Vanakkam EM,

I agree it's best to avoid such stuff and distracts one from Sahdana, but why do you think that watching violent movies/playing violent games counts as himsa?

OM

Quote Originally Posted by Sādhaka View Post
    Vanakkam EM,

I agree it's best to avoid such stuff and distracts one from Sahdana, but why do you think that watching violent movies/playing violent games counts as himsa?

OM
    Vannakkam: It counts as himsa because its a himsa thought. Thoughts become actions. We control our actions by our thoughts. The first physical act of violence on the playground is the closing of the fist, preceded by the thought, and ending in the punch.

Also, on the subtle planes, the idea spreads just as on the physical plane. When you think of punching or shooting someone, it subtly affects that same person. This also explains how some days people just 'feel' off. (or uplifted) Its quite probably because others are thinking about you. This is very subtle and probably not even believed by most, but if radio waves have power, then so do though waves. it is most commonly actually felt between two people who are psychically well connected like husband and wife, siblings or very close guru-sishyas. A Guru can uplift his sishya even from afar. So the more tuned in you are to though forms, the more you may feel it. Karma is also accrued this way.

Of course these are just my opinions, and as always, I could be dead wrong.

Aum Namasivaya

The real definition of ahimsa is Mahatma Gandhi.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: It counts as himsa because its a himsa thought. Thoughts become actions. We control our actions by our thoughts. The first physical act of violence on the playground is the closing of the fist, preceded by the thought, and ending in the punch.

Also, on the subtle planes, the idea spreads just as on the physical plane. When you think of punching or shooting someone, it subtly affects that same person. This also explains how some days people just 'feel' off. (or uplifted) Its quite probably because others are thinking about you. This is very subtle and probably not even believed by most, but if radio waves have power, then so do though waves. it is most commonly actually felt between two people who are psychically well connected like husband and wife, siblings or very close guru-sishyas. A Guru can uplift his sishya even from afar. So the more tuned in you are to though forms, the more you may feel it. Karma is also accrued this way.

Of course these are just my opinions, and as always, I could be dead wrong.

Aum Namasivaya
    Vanakkam EM,

Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks a lot for explaining.

OM
    यस्मिन् सर्वाणि भूतान्यात्मैवाभूद्विजानत:।
    तत्र को मोह: क: शोक एकत्वमनुपश्यत:॥ ७॥

Thread Information