Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do we feel so bad when we see when someone cries ??

Thumbs Up Why do we feel so bad when we see when someone cries ??

It often happens to us in our daily life. When we see some one crying even when shown in the news we feel so bad. Me being from the medical profession when i see some one crying in the hospital my heart gets ripped off and i feel so bad that i should have done something to prevent my fellow human in undergoing such a suffering.

Is it the basic nature of humans ?? Or is there any explanation for this in our Vedas or any of our sacred texts ??

I would greatly appreciate if someone quotes or refers me to a script or texture from our sacred texts on reactions of humans to the sufferings of others...

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Why do we feel so bad when we see when someone cries ??

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté doc-kṛṣṇa
    Quote Originally Posted by dockrishna View Post
    It often happens to us in our daily life. When we see some one crying even when shown in the news we feel so bad. Me being from the medical profession when i see some one crying in the hospital my heart gets ripped off and i feel so bad that i should have done something to prevent my fellow human in undergoing such a suffering.

Is it the basic nature of humans ?? Or is there any explanation for this in our Vedas or any of our sacred texts ??

I would greatly appreciate if someone quotes or refers me to a script or texture from our sacred texts on reactions of humans to the sufferings of others...
    It is interesting what you write... the empathy you suggest is core to all humans. Others are no less then the extensions of
    our own Selves. Of this there is no doubt and many a upaniṣad talks of this. This is the natural compassion that is in all of us.

Yet It is the mature heart that has compassion and empathy . This empathy says , I know how you feel... sympathy says, I
    do not know how you feel , but am saddened due to your condition.

In the Tantrāloka the word that is used for this extention of our-Selves is satatoditam - It is that which has no pause, no break.
    This for me really captures the essence of this totality, the fullness.
    Svāmī lakṣman-jū says ' It is breakless and unitary. In samādhi it is there and when samādhi is absent it is there.
    And in sleep it is there; in each and every state of subjective body it is there.

The message here ? There is no break or pause between ourselves and others.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Why do we feel so bad when we see when someone cries ??
    Because the "Mind" inside our body feels scare that someday "I" should not have to face these problems.

Moreover the "Soul" inside our body and the "Soul" inside the person who is crying is one like two drops of same sea.

_/\_ Jasdir.
    "Everything is he, he is for Everyone, So to whom we can say.... is worse, As there is nothing other than Him." -Guru Nanak.

welcome dockrishna,

its nice hearing your experience.which year you are now? with experience you will learn to conduct strongly (as my experience).

Yajvan ji has explained in detail. i will add a bit.

Prana is the bayu inside us that is responsible for such reaction.

when a person is suffering pain/sorrow, his sorrow gets transmitted into surrounding in the form of energy waves ,which will be received by other"s mind via vision/hearing. this receiving threshold varies from person to person and depends upon the purity of heart,relationship with the person,how much he identify himself with the person and his own personal experience on sufferings.

depending upon such level of receiving,it may be empathy,sympathy,ignorance.

so when mind"s frequency of vibration changes with the received thought,its frequency will come closer as that of sufferer.

this thing happens in ANAHAT CHAKRA (heart chakra). depending upon the nature of thought,the PRANA BAYU will start to shrink or expand. its the sorrow that makes it shrink and we feel a kind of squeezing pain.

if its very happy news,bliss, our prana bayu expands in the chest and we feel expansion in our chest....as if our chest is filled.....with bliss.
    same way feelings of Fear,hatred,love,anger spreads from one to another person. so we should always long to be with good company.

one best example of this empathy is like this " one day Ramakrishna Paramhansa was on a boat on Ganga with few disciples when he started screaming with pain and crynig. evn it was noticed his back was with severe beating marks with bleeding. when boat reached opposite bank of river,they came to see one farm owner was beating his servant with a cane for some mistake.and Ramakrishna could see this and with empathy,he started to feel the same pain.

i am sure everybody must have had experienced such things inside. there chest and now can co-relate now.
    Last edited by anirvan; 21 April 2011 at 05:59 AM.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

IMHO, prime nature of our Atman is Ananda
    And crying is the ultimate expression of unhappiness, distress, pain, dukha..., when you make it known to others rather than keeping it to oneself.
    Our true nature does not want to identify with this state and we feel sad
    This is what the sense of altruism is.

pranam
    rk

Many thanks in advance.
    It is natural to most human except extremist. Like a Islamic extremist wouldn't care if a Jewish, Hindu or a Christian boy is crying. It is common in most extremists of Abrahmic religions.

But every non-extremist would feel very bad when he/she see anybody crying.

So I don't think Vedas or any important scripture would make any comment on it as it's universal.
    Last edited by rajputistan; 21 April 2011 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rajputistan View Post
    It is natural to most human except extremist. Like a Islamic extremist wouldn't care if a Jewish, Hindu or a Christian boy is crying. It is common in most extremists of Abrahmic religions.

So I don't think Vedas or any important scripture would make any comment on it as it's universal.
    Dear Rajputistan, you are in such tender age,why looking all things in fundamentalist angle ? i am seriously afraid that you are being fed with such negative thoughts by some kind of propaganda or you are in company of such negative elements. with a topic discussion on the love and mercy aspect of supreme lord,how can such thought arise in your mind ? always practice positive and divine in everything.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

nitinsharma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rajputistan View Post

Dude,I can understand where you come from.....and as much as I hate the above mentioned 'groups'......relax,don't go throwing hate around,trust me it'll only make you madder from the inside.About the extremists,don't worry we'll kill 'em all together.

Many thanks in advance.
    Vannakkam: Not all of us cry. Suffering is part of the path. If we are sufficiently detached from the world of emotion, we may not cry. This is not to be considered as harsh, but rather as a deeper understanding. When we really believe and practice the doctrines of reincarnation and karma, we see crying as a temporal state of mind, and not just temporal in this life, but also over several hundred or so.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté doc-kṛṣṇa

It is interesting what you write... the empathy you suggest is core to all humans. Others are no less then the extensions of
    our own Selves. Of this there is no doubt and many a upaniṣad talks of this. This is the natural compassion that is in all of us.

Yet It is the mature heart that has compassion and empathy . This empathy says , I know how you feel... sympathy says, I
    do not know how you feel , but am saddened due to your condition.

In the Tantrāloka the word that is used for this extention of our-Selves is satatoditam - It is that which has no pause, no break.
    This for me really captures the essence of this totality, the fullness.
    Svāmī lakṣman-jū says ' It is breakless and unitary. In samādhi it is there and when samādhi is absent it is there.
    And in sleep it is there; in each and every state of subjective body it is there.

The message here ? There is no break or pause between ourselves and others.

praṇām

Namashkar....

Thank you for the reply sir. So as per the message what i understood is we suffer when others suffer because there is no break or pause between ourselves and others, implying that we are attached / connected. Correct me if i'm wrong.

But Krishna says in Gita, "O Arjuna, he who engages his organs of action in Karma-Yoga, Without attachment, he excels (3.7) ".
    "Performing the action without attachment, man reaches the Supreme (3.17) '.

Practically speaking when we feel the pain of the patient as of our own, we deliver better service to ameliorate their pain/suffering/disease.

So, if we are connected/ attached , is this attachment/ connection going to be detrimental for me or does it serve in the other way ??? I'm confused..

Thread Information