Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Little question on meat eatting

Little question on meat eatting

I am very aware that in our dharma we do not eat meat because to obtain meat to eat on needs to kill an animal, thus harming it what would probably cause a lot of bad kharma. So what I was wondering was if one can eat a food that has touched meat?

Re: Little question on meat eatting

Quote Originally Posted by cmorel02 View Post
    I am very aware that in our dharma we do not eat meat because to obtain meat to eat on needs to kill an animal, thus harming it what would probably cause a lot of bad kharma. So what I was wondering was if one can eat a food that has touched meat?
    Vannakkam cmorel: Many strict Hindus wouldn't. Nor would they accept food cooked in pots that once cooked meat. But this varies from person to person. A good example of this fine line is gelatin capsules prescribed by a doctor. Some people would just take them, and drop the worry while others would ask the druggist to use a vegetable gelatin, or tablets instead. So it depends on how strict you want to be. Another example might be eggs in a cake at a staff luncheon. Some people would just eat it with no concern. Others might ask. Still others would just avoid the cake with no questions. So there is variance.

Aum Namasivaya

While we're on the subject of variance....

There's a Hindu family that I visit somewhat regularly. They were actually shocked I didn't eat chicken..... I asked if they ate other fowl and they said no.

I can't find other references as to why they would specifically eat chicken but nothing else?

Quote Originally Posted by Water View Post

There's a Hindu family that I visit somewhat regularly. They were actually shocked I didn't eat chicken..... I asked if they ate other fowl and they said no.

I can't find other references as to why they would specifically eat chicken but nothing else?
    Vannakkam Water: If they are from India, its probably because that is the most commonly available fowl. Not once did I see a duck or a turkey in India. Ducks are commonly eaten in China, however.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Water,

Quote Originally Posted by Water View Post

Just from my experience, most Hindus who are semi-practicing and non-vegetarian eat poultry, but they stay away from other animals. A lot of people in my family are not vegetarian, including my mother, but she mainly just eats chicken and occasionally turkey or duck. They don't eat the holy Mother Cow and I guess they just don't eat other animals either.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Yeah... it would be preferable, if one was a strict vegetarian, to cook with one's own utensils that have not been contaminated by meat, fish or eggs... otherwise, there is a certain ickiness factor that one would have to deal with, and the fact that as a Vaishnava, I am only to eat prasadam...

"Only by providence have I been forcibly brought under Your lotus feet and deprived of all my opulence. Because of the illusion created by temporary opulence, people in general, who live under material conditions, facing accidental death at every moment, do not understand that this life is temporary. Only by providence have I been saved from that condition."

-- Bali Maharaja

Re: Little question on meat eating

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna View Post
    Hindus who are semi-practicing and non-vegetarian eat poultry, but they stay away from other animals.
    I see what you say yet it seems a bit convoluted , no ? It's like an alcoholic not drinking gin, but will drink beer. Where has he stopped drinking?

For some reason ~meat~ has come to mean 'cow'. Just yesterday I heard two people talking, one exclaimed they do not eat meat, but eats chicken and fish and considered herself a vegetarian.

IMHO one cannot semi- practice being vegetarian, just as one cannot be half-dead or half pregnant.

That said, I have seen many-a-Hindu eating meat. Yet I have not seem many a yogi or muni or one that wishes spiritual unfoldment (intently) eating the flesh or meat of another.

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

namasté

... thank you yajvan for your post and your opinions. Yet who are you ? Just one more HDF member giving their views on the matter. On what foundation do you stand?

Here is where I base my POV:

In the anusasana parva, section CXV ( or section 115) of the mahābhārata , yudhiṣṭhira asks bhīṣma-ji a few questions.

He says, you ( bhīṣma-ji ) have informed me many times that the abstention from injury is the highest religion. Yet in sraddhas, however, that are performed in honour of the Pitris, persons for their own good should make offerings of diverse kinds of meat.
    • How can meat be procured without slaying a living creature?
    • What are the faults one incurs by eating meat?
    • What are the demerits one incurs who eats meat by killing a living creature? Or of him who eats meat buying it from others?
    Bhīṣma then says, Listen to me O' scion of the Kuru race, what the merit is that attaches to the abstention from meat.
    • Those high souled persons who desire beauty, faultlessness of limbs, long life, understanding, mental and physical strength, and memory should abstain from acts of injury.
    • The merit by a person with steadfastness of vow adores the deities every month in horse sacrifices is equal to him that discards honey and meat.
    • The seven rishis, the Valakhilyasm and the rishis that drink the rays of the sun applaud the abstention from meat.
    • Bhīṣma continues and says, Narada muni has said that the man who wishes to increase his own flesh by eating the flesh of other creatures meets with calamity.
    • The man who has eaten meat then gives it up acquires merit by such an act that is so great that a study of all the vedas or a performance of all the sacrifices cannot bestow its like ( or its equal).
    • The period of life is shortened of persons who slaughter living creatures or cause them to be slaughtered ( i.e. demand for meat).
    • One should never eat meat of animals not dedicated in sacrifices and that are slain for no reason.
    praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 09 May 2011 at 02:52 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

9. Re: Little question on meat eatting

Good, just one thing is missing
    Sacrifice is a loose word made by Meat eaters and Drunkyard anti Hindus to the word Bali (बलि), but originally it do not mean killing anybody, it means Purnahuti.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by cmorel02 View Post
    I am a Hindu. In my community we eat meat, particularly on festivals. My Kshatriya neighbours do so too. We have been Hindus since the religion came into existence.

Why do you say that in Hindu dharma we don't eat meat?

It is only a few sects of Hindus which prohibit meat but unfortunately it is only these sects that you see in the Western countries and not the real Hindus.

Thread Information