Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's YOUR definition of "HARI OM" ?

What's YOUR definition of "HARI OM" ?

Hari Om!

A friend recently asked me for a precise definition of "Hari Om" and I truly could not satisfy her query, so I'm asking forum members for formal as well as personal definitions for such. Many Hindus, myself included, greet each other with this salutation. Although I referred her to Google for a more detailed description, I feel that I am the one who needs to do the brushing up on the lingo. Help!

Om Namah Sivaya!

Re: What's YOUR definition of "HARI OM" ?

Namaskar,

Let me take a shot.

Hari traditionally is a name of Vishnu.

The word Hari comes from the word Hara, which means 'the one who takes away' or 'the one who removes' or the one who makes it disappear as in That force or source that takes away/removes misery.

I suppose then Hari Om means literally that 'OM is the one that takes away'.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

A friend recently asked me for a precise definition of "Hari Om" and I truly could not satisfy her query, so I'm asking forum members for formal as well as personal definitions for such. Many Hindus, myself included, greet each other with this salutation. Although I referred her to Google for a more detailed description, I feel that I am the one who needs to do the brushing up on the lingo. Help!

Om Namah Sivaya!
    satay

I have it's meaning. Vedas says that there is one God who is shapeless, smell less, invisible, etc. But Vedas also says that with the power of OM we can see his various forms. So this is because of OM we are able to see Vishnu, Shiva, Durga, etc. but foolish Muslim are not able to see any thing. I found this in the film of Adi Sankaracharya.

So I think that's why most of our Mantras have OM in them.

Hari means Vishnu. We are putting OM so that we are able to see/visualize/feel the presence of Vishnu. Lord Vishnu is the protector. So we greet them by saying 'Let Lord Vishnu take care of you/protect you from all danger'.

Hope it helps.

Hari Om...

as explained by Swami Chinmayananda in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBIskkMEO4o

It is invoking the Grace of Hari (The Supreme Lord VishNu) to transcend saMsAr - material life - as only He can do it. Hari harate - takes away vAsanA and all elements that bind one to worldliness.

However, Hari not only takes, He gives - what ? Transcendence and bliss, and Himself, as He IS bliss personified - Sat + Chit + Anand vigraha

Hari is Govind (who gives pleasure), and the cause of all causes - sarva kAraNa kAraNam.

Govindam AdiPurusham Tam aham bhajAmi ~
    Last edited by smaranam; 23 April 2011 at 08:54 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

5. Re: What's YOUR definition of "HARI OM" ?

Hari Om is the word that is chanted after Puja.

Even a single word of mantra chanted incorrectly, it makes Mahapatak dosha, and chanting Hari Om matra removes that dhosha
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

hariḥ o
    If we look to the śrīmad bhāgavatṁ, 6th canto , 8th chapter and the 12th śloka ( 1st line):

oṁ harir vidadhyān mama sarvarakṣāṁ
    May Lord hariḥ (as we know Him by oṁ ) protect me on all sides.

This 8th adhyāya (chapter) is considered nārāyaṇa kavacaṁ (armor). This was taught to indra by viśvarūpa.

hariḥ
    • ha ह -the Supreme; destroying , removing ; the sparkling of a gem
    • ra र - acquiring , possessing ;brightness , splendour
    • i इ --to advance , spread , get about ; to succeed; to arrive at , reach , obtain

Hari comes from harati avidyam iti harià - He who (thus) dispels darkness of ignorance. Yet as you would expect there is more to reveal …

As noted above hari is composed of phonemes/sound letters (akṣarāṇām or just akṣara ) ha + ra + i
    • ha-kāra¹ pingala varṇa or - the syllable ha means that there is no sense of the body.
    • Further it is said that sarva varṇa vargottamaṃ¹ meaning -it (ha) is the supreme letter.
    • ra-kāra teja varṇa sat or the syllable ra is the power of God in the body.
    • i -kāra śakti da-yaka or the letter i is the life (energy) of God given in you.

So another view of ha + ra + i is - hari, who is inhaling your breath. According to Lahiri Mahasaya,
    hari means 'one who steals'. When the jiva (individuality) stage is stolen from you, the resulting stillness is hariḥ.

praṇām

words
    • This we call ha-kāra or ha-action as kāra means action, doer
    • vargottama - chief of class; first
    Last edited by yajvan; 12 October 2016 at 12:36 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Dear Friend,

According to Srimad Bhagawata [Canto 8, Chapter 1], in the current "Kalpa", during the fourth "Manvantara", there lived a great King by name Harimedha.
    [Mahabharatha Aastika Parva mentions that Harimedha did one of the greatest Yagnas of all times]

Harimedha was married to Harini.
    Sri Maha Vishnu took one of His Avatars as the son of Harimedha and Harini.
    In that Avatar, He was called as Sri Hari.

It was also doing that Avatar, Sri Hari rescued the elephant "Gajendra" from the clutches of the crocodile.

The Avatar of Hari is very much similar to that of Sri Krishna or Sri Rama. But we do not have the details in depth,
    as the Avatar of Hari was taken by Vishnu, quite a long time back.

Om as everyone knows is the representation of Parabramha.

Hence,by saying Hari Om, we are thinking about that Parabramha swaroopi Sri Vishnu in one of His divine Avatar.

namaste shrI Smith and others.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!
    Om Namah Sivaya!
    Here is one more explanation:

hari AUM is short for hari AUM tat sat.
    AUM tat sat means 'AUM is that Absolute Truth'.
    • So, hari AUM tat sat or hari AUM means 'Hari is that Absolute Truth'.

If sarvam viShNumayam jagat--'This world is all pervaded by ViShNu, then that substratum can only be AUM, the manifest consciousness of Brahman, that pervades the three lokas bhu, bhuva and suvarga--earth, astral and heavenly worlds, and illuminates the buddhi--intellect, of those who look inward. The capacity of looking inward is enhanced by chanting and contemplating a mantra like 'hari AUM' in meditation.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ
    • ha ह -the Supreme; destroying , removing ; the sparkling of a gem
    Svāhā is another name for lalitā-ma or durgā-ma , Mother Divine.
    This svāhā स्वाहा is defined as an offering some say oblation. This is when the offering is given via yajña into the fire,
    and hence to agni , to carry to the devatā-s. She as svāhā is said to preside over burnt offerings, and hence the
    relevance to yajña¹ .

Yet what can this possibly have to to with hariḥ ? When we look at svāhā we can dis-assemble it to svā + hā .
    This 'hā' is a name of viṣṇu which = hariḥ. And of this svā ? Again another name of viṣṇu.

So with the offering into the fire of agni with svā + hā we have combined Mother divine as the praise with the offering of yajña, to not only agni to carry to the devatā, but intrinsic in the offer is viṣṇu which is hariḥ also being there.

praṇām

words
    • One view of svāhā is su and √ ah hail! hail to! may a blessing rest on note too that hā is also a a form of śiva or bhairava
    • yajña - act of worship or devotion , offering , oblation , sacrifice ; fire
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Svāhā is another name for lalitā-ma or durgā-ma , Mother Divine.
    This svāhā स्वाहा is defined as an offering some say oblation. This is when the offering is given via yajña into the fire,
    and hence to agni , to carry to the devatā-s. She as svāhā is said to preside over burnt offerings, and hence the relevance to yajña¹ .
    Now there is a parallel word to svāhā called svadhā and is another name for lalitā-ma ( deveśī, gaurī or umā). This name once again includes viṣṇu as hariḥ.

What first is the definition of svadhā ? It means 'own portion or share' found in the sacrificial offering. It also means one's own state or condition or nature; also it is the formula by which the offering is well placed during the yajña.

So She, lalitā-ma, as svadhā , is that portion or Her own condition, as the formula that is well placed at the yajña.

Yet when we dis-assemble the word we have sva + dhā . Svā is another name of viṣṇu + dhā.
    This dhā has several meanings:

• to take pleasure or delight - hence She that takes delight in viṣṇu
    • holder , supporter - She that supports viṣṇu
    • possess , show , exhibit - She that exhibits the quality of viṣṇu
    • to take or bring or help to - She that supports viṣṇu

Yet if we took apart the word one more time we can view it as sva + a + dhā . Now we can say - one's own (sva) + a (a name of viṣṇu ) + dhā (possess). Hence one's own possession of viṣṇu.
    It is She (svadhā or lalitā-ma) that supports (dhā) one's own possession of viṣṇu or hariḥ within the individual.

praṇām

words
    • yajña - act of worship or devotion , offering , oblation , sacrifice ; fire
    Last edited by yajvan; 09 May 2011 at 07:28 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information