Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's YOUR definition of "HARI OM" ?

Re: What's YOUR definition of "HARI OM" ?

Hari means to which we belong to
    If we think ourself as a body then we belong to the Atma which is Hari(everyone are his)
    And if we know that we are the Atma then we are the Har (adivata)

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    namaste shrI Smith and others.

Here is one more explanation:

hari AUM is short for hari AUM tat sat.
    AUM tat sat means 'AUM is that Absolute Truth'.
    • So, hari AUM tat sat or hari AUM means 'Hari is that Absolute Truth'.

If sarvam viShNumayam jagat--'This world is all pervaded by ViShNu, then that substratum can only be AUM, the manifest consciousness of Brahman, that pervades the three lokas bhu, bhuva and suvarga--earth, astral and heavenly worlds, and illuminates the buddhi--intellect, of those who look inward. The capacity of looking inward is enhanced by chanting and contemplating a mantra like 'hari AUM' in meditation.
    Originally said by Yajvan
    hariḥ
    ha ह -the Supreme; destroying , removing ; the sparkling of a gem
    ra र - acquiring , possessing ;brightness , splendour
    i इ --to advance , spread , get about ; to succeed; to arrive at , reach , obtain
    Sorry for triggering old post, but I found new meaning from Advaita Standpoint, which I would like to share it.

Hari OM is a short form for 'Hari OM tat Sat'

Om is beyond 3 gunas and goes into turiya state. From OM Maya was created. OM is the representation of Nirguna Brahman. It is the only Mantra that can effortlessly (in hindi: sahajta se) establish or merge the seeker in Nirvikalp Samadhi.

Hara means to remove troubles / bondages / Doshas / Granthis. Hari means one who removes troubles and bondages i.e. Remover of bondage.

so hari is Remover of Bondage
    Aum / Om is one which takes one beyond Gunas in to turiya. All 3 Gunas (Satva, Rajas, Tamas) are doshas and OM takes one above these doshas, breaking Hriday Granthi, breaking bondages into the Realm of Atman / Brahman which is Sat-Chit-Ananda. I would collectively call Dosha, bondages, granthis as bondages (Bandhan).

So, Can I translate it as (My salutations (pranams) to) OM, the remover of Bondages, who takes one into the realm of Sat-Chit-Ananda Atman.

P.S. I am not an authority in spirituality, so please correct me I have interpreted it wrongly.

Hari is also connected with Shri Vishnu, who is the remover of bondages, granthis, etc.

Aum
    Indiaspirituality
    Last edited by Amrut; 27 December 2012 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Edited line in Blue
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Svāhā is another name for lalitā-ma or durgā-ma , Mother Divine.
    This svāhā स्वाहा is defined as an offering some say oblation. This is when the offering is given via yajña into the fire,
    and hence to agni , to carry to the devatā-s. She as svāhā is said to preside over burnt offerings, and hence the
    relevance to yajña¹ .

Yet what can this possibly have to to with hariḥ ? When we look at svāhā we can dis-assemble it to svā + hā .
    This 'hā' is a name of viṣṇu which = hariḥ. And of this svā ? Again another name of viṣṇu.

So with the offering into the fire of agni with svā + hā we have combined Mother divine as the praise with the offering of yajña, to not only agni to carry to the devatā, but intrinsic in the offer is viṣṇu which is hariḥ also being there.

praṇām

words
    • One view of svāhā is su and √ ah hail! hail to! may a blessing rest on note too that hā is also a a form of śiva or bhairava
    • yajña - act of worship or devotion , offering , oblation , sacrifice ; fire
    Namaste Yajvan!

I am impressed as usual with your thoughts, particularly on this interesting topic. This provides a basic understanding of how harih and svaha both relate to Vishnu.

I am also interested in what you think about the "Om" part of Harih Om. Do you think that "Om" definitely entails certain theological ideas?

I found that Kyle Tortora on his Lotus Sculpture website opens his discussion on this by citing the Upanishads and then claims:

For the Hindus & Buddhists, Om is the primordial sound, the first breath of creation, the vibration that ensures existence. Om sign signifies God, Creation, & the One-ness of all creation. The Om symbol is a sacred syllable representing Brahman, the impersonal Absolute - omnipotent, omnipresent, and the source of all manifest existence. Brahman, in itself, is incomprehensible; so a symbol becomes mandatory to help us realize the Unknowable. Om, therefore, represents both the unmanifest (nirguna) and manifest (saguna) aspects of God.

A" stands for Creation "U" stands for Preservation
    "M" stands for Destruction or Dissolution
    This is representative of the Trinity of God in Hindu dharma (Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva).
    http://www.lotussculpture.com/my_articles_om.html

What do you think about this claim?

As you know, I am not deeply versed and come to the forum for knowledge. I am not advocating K.Tortora's theory or opposing it. I am not sure why simply making a sound would inherently create a meaning about Ishvara or His existence, but it's a question that is interesting to me.

Mahadeva S Sarma proposes:

ओम् इत्येकाक्षरमं ब्रह्म is a statement from the Bhagavad Gita. That is a declaration by Lord Krishna. This means 'Brahman' (Paramatman) is what is meant by Om. Well one could call/refer to God, by any name one chooses. It is great that Lord Krishna has agreed with the Scriptures(The Vedas, The Smritis, and The Puranas) in choosing the same term. In fact He says, " Use this one syllable and put your mind focussed on me when you exit the body(in Death) you shall reach Me." The use of fist person pronouns further says that Lord Krishna identified Himself as Brahman.

the Mandukya Upanishad deals with what Om-kara is according to Vedanta. Why should Om- be an 'apt' representation of Brahman. This Upanishad ... explains what are the "senses" in which 'Om' is a representation/reference to God. One of the chief reasons is 'Om' pronounced as per standards is mono syllabic. This in itself is sufficient "reason" to represent God. For in Vedanta[Any form of it] God but One and Only One.
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-om-Why...fically-please
    Mahinder Singh claims:

According to Vedas, God is formless it cannot be defined as form on whom one can meditate. Therefore OM was specified in Vedas as symbol or representation of that formless God.

In many places in Upanishads it is said, one should meditate on OM, as it is the symbol of formless God
    In Patanjali Yogastura 1.27 , it is specified
    तस्य वाचकः प्रणवः ॥ OM is a symbol for ishvara. ||

1. When one perform the Sacrifice the OM represent the formless God, whom one refer as main deity.

And Raghu Tippur adds to that:
    First of all understand what is God and then we can relate the sound OM to God . God is that infinite energy with all knowing , conscious , blissful and infinite creative power which exists everywhere . Om is the representation of this universe in sound form consisting of solid , liquid and gasseous forms Om is said to penetrate all these forms of existence .
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-om-Why...fically-please

I hope to hear your own opinions and responses.

Peace.

Thread Information