Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less mentioned, yet interesting ...

Less mentioned, yet interesting ...

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I have found some interesting things in jyotish that are missed or not discussed... just small things that one would pass over perhaps , paying no mind. I thought to mention a few in this and some future posts.

The 11th house - lābha¹

One thing I noticed throughout my life has been friendships of older people. It just seemed more of my associations where with people older then me. This is one feature of saturn ( śani ) in the 11th house. The tendency to get along well with elders.

Friends are seen from the 11th house as the 11th deals with hope, friends, elder co-borns and gains ( gains of income, knowledge, etc). Because we are human we prefer this house called lābha¹, to be favorable and hence gains to be sulabha i.e. easy to be obtained or effected , easily accessible or attainable , feasible , easy , common.

Various graha-s in the 11th indicate the kinds of friends who are amenable to the native - this may be openly or secretly friendly. If we find the sun in the 11th , one's superiors may favor you , or one's father. If saturn is there , then one's subordinates my quietly be a fan of the boss. Now this should not be confused with any enemy indications that comes from the 6th house.

... more to follow.

praṇām

words
    • lābha - is another name for the 11th bhāva ( house). It means obtaining , getting , attaining , acquisition , gain , profit .
    • rāśi राशि- is a heap, a mass, a pile, a group; in joytiṣ it is the name given to sign, as a collection point
    • bhāva भाव from bhū becoming , being , existing , occurring , appearance ; manner of acting or conduct dharma धर्मthat which is established or firm , steadfast decree , statute , ordinance , law ; from dhṛ धृ- that which upholds
    Last edited by yajvan; 03 December 2015 at 05:16 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Less mentioned, yet interesting ...

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    If we find the sun in the 11th , one's superiors may favor the you , or one's father. If saturn is there , then one's subordinates my quietly be a fan of the boss. Now this should not be confused with ant enemy indications as that comes from the 6th house.
    I've heard this often but am not able to interpret it according to modern times. In the ancient texts, they refer to kings, superiors and such. How do we interpret it according to the current world we live in? For instance, parashara might say, "A person with sun in 11th will rule over land, be in a king's court' etc. All this doesn't apply in today's world. So how are we to understand 'king's court' ruling land and all that.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

from the last post:

Because we are human we prefer this house called lābha¹, to be favorable and hence gains to be sulabha i.e. easy to be obtained or effected , easily accessible or attainable , feasible , easy , common

This sulabha is very desirable, no? Yet if saturn is in the 11th ( called lābha¹ as previously mentioned) it has ārgala¹ (intervention) on the 10th house, that of career. What does this suggest? Saturn ( śani¹ ) indicates hard work, discipline, etc. So, one can expect gains, yet they will come from diligent work, over time.

The good news is one's durability and longevity. Since śani in the 11th has ārgala on th 8th house, it encourages longer life.
    It also has ārgala on the lagna (ascendant) making the person very traditional, some use the word orthodox.

Since ārgala also extends it reach to the 7th house , marriage may come later in life and the marriage can be challenging
    at times due to śani's ability to bring misery.

praṇām

words
    • lābha - is another name for the 11th bhāva ( house). It means obtaining , getting , attaining , acquisition , gain , profit .
    • ārgala is defined as a bolt, a lock; in jyotish it infers assured ( ~ locked in~) intervention.
      This occurs from the 2nd, 4th , 11th and 5th houses from a sign.
    • śani -śanaiscara - saturn, the slow moving one
    Last edited by yajvan; 22 April 2011 at 07:38 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

Quote Originally Posted by karna View Post
    I've heard this often but am not able to interpret it according to modern times. In the ancient texts, they refer to kings, superiors and such. How do we interpret it according to the current world we live in? For instance, parashara might say, "A person with sun in 11th will rule over land, be in a king's court' etc. All this doesn't apply in today's world. So how are we to understand 'king's court' ruling land and all that.
    Consider 'kings' to be part of government - local, state or at the national level. Superiors can be one's boss or manager.
    Being in the king's court could suggest working for a governor, a senator, or in a court house, like that.

~King-like~ can also suggest a Śakarācārya, a pope, bishop.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

We often hear the names of signs (rāśi&#185 like Aries called meṣa, or ram ; Leo is siṃha or lion. These are all
    good to know, yet the insight comes when we are aware of the house (bhāva&#185 names, as they help indicate
    the qualities and influences contained therein. Just one word.

Now this one word gives the quality of the house, yet it is not all encompassing - it is like the stitch ( sūtra ),
    just one piece of thread that tells us about the house. Yet more importantly it is a mental reminder for the
    jyotiṣa about the subject matter of that house.

Let me offer some that are called out in standard texts - one of my favorite jyotiśhāstra-s is offered by
    kalyāṇavarma-ji and his work called sārāvalī. It would advance one's understanding to read his offering.

bhāva number and its name
    1. tanu - (masculine gender) means form or manifestation; tanus means 'the body'

2. dhana - any valued object , (especially wealth , riches , (movable)
    property , money , treasure , gift ; dhanaṃ - to win the prize or the
    contest.

3. sahaja - born or produced together or at the same time - hence co-borns ; also younger brothers
    or sisters; older brothers and sisters are viewed from the 11th.

4. bandhu - connection , relation , association ; kinsman especially on the mother's side as 4th is
    of mother, and also motherland ; hence , relatives.

5. putra - children

6. ari - (the number six or arāti) considered not liberal , envious , hostile , an enemy. This comes from
    'is' an interjection of anger or pain or sorrow.

7. yuvati - a girl , young woman , any young female. This infers spouse.

We are helped with this by the 'yu' sound meaning 'to draw towards one's self , take hold or
    gain possession of , hold fast' - hence the spouse.

8. randhra - split , opening , aperture , hole , chasm , fissure , cavity . But from what ? Life.
    This infers death and also mokṣa.

9. dharma - virtue , morality , religion , religious merit , good works . Natural law, good fortune;
    that which uplifts & Supports ( from dhṛ maintain , preserve , keep ).

10. karma - more properly karman - action , office , special duty , occupation , obligation we call career ,
    but as you can see it is more then 'job'.

11. lābha - means obtaining , getting , attaining , acquisition , gain , profit.

12. vyaya - passing away , liable to change or decay ~loss~ ; another mokṣa house.

praṇām

words
    • rāśi राशि - is a heap, a mass, a pile, a group; in joytiṣ it is the name given to sign, as a collection point
    • bhāva भाव from bhū becoming , being , existing , occurring , appearance ; manner of acting
      or conduct
    • dharma धर्म that which is established or firm , steadfast decree , statute , ordinance ,
      law ; from dhṛ धृ- that which upholds
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thank You YajvanJi, this is very good information. Although i never looked into jyotish, did not know what all those numbers in the diamonds (squares) were supposed to be - (bhAv - house - ghar ? in MarAthi i have heard them being called ghar which is house).

As a passing traveller only glancing into the glass window from outside, it seems that the ghar has permanent and transiting graha which determine aspects of a living entity. I know this is only the tip of the iceberg, but interesting anyway.

praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

We know the sun as sūrya. Yet too it is called ravi. This ravi also means '12' and associated with the 12 signs (rāśi) , own by the sun. Yet we do not often hear it called heli ( and moon's rays as helā). This heli creates the root for the Greek word helos for the sun. And then our solar systen is called heliocenric, the sun being the center.
    At times one may hear the name of the sun as bhānu meaning appearance , brightness , light or a ray of light , luster , splendour , hence the sun.

The moon is called candra (chandra) meaning glittering , shining (as gold) , having the brilliancy or hue of light. Yet it is also called śaśī -another way of saying the moon; śaśī is a hare , rabbit , or antelope.
    The markings on the moon are supposed to resemble a hare or rabbit. We find the moon called out by this name in the viṣṇu sahasranāmaṁ invocation ( 1,000 names , sahasranāma , of viṣṇu )¹.

Here is the photo...

more on on the graha names in the next post...

praṇām

references:
    viṣṇu sahasranāmaṁ - the invocation ( āvāhanaṃ) begins as follows:
    śhuklāmbaradharam viṣṇuṁ śaśīvarṇaṁ chaturbujaṁ
    prasanna vadanaṁ dhyāyet sarva vighnopaśāntaye
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Mars is most often known as maṅgal मण्गल् or maṅgala मङ्गल. This word means happiness , felicity , welfare , bliss . Isn't this curiuous as mars is considered a malific graha yet maṅgal is defined as anything auspicious or tending to a lucky issue.

Another name for mars is bhūmisuta - meaning earth son. Yet this is also called kuja - born from the earth. But why the 'earth son' ? According to the śiva mahāpurāṇa (rudra sahitā) , mars was born from the tears of śiva that fell to earth. It was bhūmi (earth) that was asked by śiva to raise him and to be known by her name bhūmisuta. Śiva says your child will be the bestower of lands and shall possess all the good qualities and also make me happy. It is for this reason (I think) mars is known as maṅgala , happiness, making śiva happy.

Sometimes mars is called rakta defined as colored or dyed, reddened, as we know mars as the red or crimsoned planet. Now on occasion mars is valled vakra - meaning twisted , crooked and can suggest a backward motion ( called retrograde in jyotish); yet too śani (saturn) may also be known by this name. Perhaps then the other definition of vakra may apply - of being hostile , cruel , malignant , inauspicious.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

One yoga that I find worth mentioning is śiva yoga. Let me first contrast to another yoga. If we take the mind which is fed by the senses and add in rāhu who represents bhoga mārga we can have the yoga of moon ( mind) + rāhu , one is driven by the desire for material wealth and wordly pleasures when this yoga occurs in trines to the ascendent in the natal chart.

Now contrast this to the union of the sun + ketu = śiva yoga. Sun is the natural ātmakāraka in one's chart , and ketu is mokṣakāraka , the signifcator of liberation. When these are co-joined and in trines to the lagna (ascendent) this śiva yoga occurs and the desire for liberation is part of one's life.

Now there is another way śiva yoga occurs occording to BV Raman-ji. He informs us when the 5th lord is in the 9th, the 9th lord is in the 10th , and the 10th lord is in the 5th then śiva yoga is present.

I have found that this sun + ketu = śiva yoga to be accurate and true of the native that has this condition.

praṇām

words
    • trines - trikoṇa - forming a triange, and infers 120 apart. Hence the 5th and 9th houses are pure trikoṇa, while the 1st house is both trikoṇa and kendra.
    • bhoga mārga - any object of enjoyment + mārga - path,seeking , search , tracing out , hunting. Hence bhoga mārga = the path seeking enjoyment
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Very interesting and auspicious yoga indeed, nice to see the contrasting yoga.

I remember you mentioned several siddhantas and shastras regarding jyotish, which of them focus on yogas?

Related thread:

Shiva Yoga
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3967

Thread Information