Thread: So I'm a Hindu..

So I'm a Hindu..

Now what? I dont know what I sjould do with my time.. I chant but that cant be all I can do..

Re: So I'm a Hindu..

namaskar,

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    Now what? I dont know what I sjould do with my time.. I chant but that cant be all I can do..
    So, just be...
    satay

namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaskar,
    So, just be...
    Now, that's some sane advise. Yes, a Hindu just needs to be: live every present moment, ensuring that he/she in what is done at this moment, does not act not contrary to dharma.

Easier said than done. To do this properly, one must know the dharma, whereby how to avoid karma, and thus one is back in the circle of samsAra--world process.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Namaste,

I recount from Rajagopalacharis's translation of Bhaja Govindam a brief story that was originally given by Sri Ramakrishna Parahamsa:

There was a farmer who, in the dead of night, wakes up with the urge to smoke a Beedi (an Indian cigarette). However, he does not have a matchstick to light his Beedi. He therefore walks to his neighbours shed and wakes him to request a match stick. His neighbour on getting up, however, asks why his friend had made this request when he was carrying a lantern all along.

Just as the farmer forgot that the lantern was always in his hand, we do not realise that God is in our heart. However, to trully understand this requires one to have absolute control of the senses (indriyas).

I suggest that you read Bhaja Govindam (Sri Rajagopoalachari's translation (Bhavan Publications) is excellent. It represents a extraordinarily concise introduction to Vedanta. Personally the Bhajan's emphasis on the conjugation of Bhakti and Jnana for spiritual progress makes it a prerequisite reading for all Hindu's spiritual aspirants.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    Vannakkam Trisilex: Tons of things .... think like a Hindu, walk like a Hindu, talk like a Hindu, act like a Hindu

think like a Hindu ... read philosophy and apply it to daily mind, for example, view yourself as a soul with a body, not a body with a soul, this is living reincarnation.

walk like a Hindu ... stand erect and straight, proceed with confidence, not ego, fully knowing God is within all the time, and nothing can actually go wrong, there are only lessons to be learned from all experiences

talk like a Hindu ... be mellow, polite, tactful, and kind with words, express gentle viewpoints of love, karma, etc

act like a Hindu ... be respectful of nature, practice the yamas and niyamas to the best of your ability, always leave a situation and people you encounter happier than when you (God) arrived.

Aum Namasivaya

Golden words, EM, kudos for putting it so succinctly and practically!
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

This is a good thread. I am trying to devote myself more actively by upholding the five characters (Om Namah Sivaya). I think daily reflection or even visualization of the Deity can be great. Focusing on one's Deity throughout the day makes you feel that presence. I hope I can stay consistent in my practice. And I hope you enjoy your days in devotion.

Thread Information