Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hinduism and NonViolence

Hinduism and NonViolence

Namaste,

I have read many times that India has not invaded any country in last 1000 years. I am not sure if invading other country is good or bad but when it comes to self defense, question comes if India/Hindu people are good at self defense, their country and their religion ! I am not sure if our scriptures gives us the teaching of non-violence. I have read that India was a great country with great Rishis, they were all very mighty. So how does this non-violence word was coined, and who coined this word ? We got Independence with non-violence. Gandhiji was leader in non-violence, but he was shot dead. I am not sure if we misinterpreted word non-violence. Your views and ideas welcomed.

Namaskar.
    AmIHindu ?

Re: Hinduism and NonViolence

There is actually a very sad instance where the "non-violence" was misinterpreted and it brought Gandhi to tears....

In The Gita, Sri Krishna calls Arjuna a coward for not fighting.

So yes, "non-violence" is often mis-interpreted and shockingly realized in many instances to not be as simplistic as "not being violent." It certainly does not mean "do not defend yourself," "allow yourself to be injured," "disregard your duties to your home, family and country," etc.

Namaste AMIHINDU,

• The below link has some quotes from Gandhi on this issue. http://www.mkgandhi.org/nonviolence/phil8.htm
    • The forum does have good material regarding Ahimsa.
    • Pietro provided me useful feedback regarding one's duty and how the Bhagavad Gita discusses the warrior caste, kšatrīya. He also gave other info. that may be useful to you. If he catches this post he can articulate much better.
    Peace,
    Rich

nitinsharma Guest

There is a thing called Dharma,and if upholding/protecting it requires the use of violence,then so be it.

Hinduism supports Dharma. The best definition of Dharma that we all can understand easily is given my Deendayal Upadhyaya: "Any action which results in the good of all or most is Dharma." And opposite of this is Adharma.

So whatever is dharma we have to do, weather it is violence or it is nonviolence.

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    Namaste,

I have read many times that India has not invaded any country in last 1000 years. I am not sure if invading other country is good or bad but when it comes to self defense, question comes if India/Hindu people are good at self defense, their country and their religion ! I am not sure if our scriptures gives us the teaching of non-violence. I have read that India was a great country with great Rishis, they were all very mighty. So how does this non-violence word was coined, and who coined this word ? We got Independence with non-violence. Gandhiji was leader in non-violence, but he was shot dead. I am not sure if we misinterpreted word non-violence. Your views and ideas welcomed.

Namaskar.
    AmIHindu ?
    Vannakkam AmIhindu: This can be a controversial topic with a slippery slope. Who are we to judge when its self-defense, and the absolute last resort? Its not easy, as it wasn't easy for Arjuna in the Gita.

Here are some examples.

Americans and others have invaded other countries in 'self-defense'. By their definition it was. By others it wasn't.

Often we hear the 'God is on my side' argument, ironically from both sides.

A mugger pulls a knife on you on the street. Assuming you know self-defense, do you fight, hand over the wallet, or run? (My daughter has her black belt, and when I asked her this, she said her teacher taught option 3 first.)

My real point is that it is very complicated, and dependent on each individual circumstance. My personal prayer is that violence of all kinds (starting with violence within the homes) is on a gradual downward trend, hopefully about to begin accelerating soon.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 28 April 2011 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Assuming you know self-defense, do you fight, hand over the wallet, or run? (My daughter has her black belt, and when I asked her this, she said her teacher taught option 3 first.)
    There's a 4th option (especially for females): Throw the purse/wallet over their head or far to one side. If they track the item in the air: scream "thief" and run. If they do not, scream "fire" and prepare to fight.

Screaming is pretty beneficial in regulating breath, getting attention and preventing hyperventilation in people that are prone to it during stress.

Yelling "fire" will get you more attention than any other option. Unfortunately, if there's no immediate danger, people will ignore you. The mugger won't care if you're in a situation where they didn't want money.

Yelling "thief" will get little attention, but more importantly it can offset the mental state of the mugger and they may run the opposite way to avoid getting caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    My real point is that it is very complicated, and dependent on each individual circumstance. My personal prayer is that violence of all kinds (starting with violence within the homes) is on a gradual downward trend, hopefully about to begin accelerating soon.

Aum Namasivaya
    Always complicated... I suppose in our mugger example, it's quite possible the mugger is coming to terms with something they themselves must fight for. Are they in danger of survival? Do they have a family? Are they living out their own duty to later transform into a proponent for peace? Will wounding, killing or getting them detained actually help?

I studied Aikido for a few years. Great martial art, very humbling and a great way to avoid violence.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by Water View Post
    In The Gita, Sri Krishna calls Arjuna a coward for not fighting.
    Can you offer the śloka where Kṛṣṇa-ji says these words?

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Hmmm, the "fear" thread all over again? No!

I'm sure Krishna does not say that, but Krishna states clearly that not fighting is not the best solution for that particular circumstance.

Thread Information