Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hinduism and NonViolence

Re: Hinduism and NonViolence

Pranam

I have no need to to debate either i answer your post for reference only.
    assertion was made that Krishna called Arjun a coward, we narrowed it down to sloka 2.2, we have now been presented with different Gita slokas that would infer Arjun as coward, so i had a closer scrutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Water View Post
    As you mentioned in another thread... it is but a Google search away!
    why would i need to Google when i have enough resource at hand.

From commentary from Vaisnava Sampradayas:

http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-02-34.html
    it is interesting to note this is not sloka 2.2, but 2.34, Lord Krishna is not saying anything pertaining to his cowardliness, but as rightly pointed out it is a commentary, an opinion offered, should he leave the battlefield, people would brand him as coward.

Yet another source (it is worth noting that the translation here is "do not act like a coward")

http://www.lord-krishna.com/The-Bhag...habharata.html
    i would not give much attention to this source, he calls Arjun a King.

again the sloka offered is no 3 which so off the mark, besides we are looking at sloka no 2, and in particular the use off the word kasmalam, your providing several resources are anything but for 2.2.

I need not comment on the rest, i have seen enough, i am glad to notice you had already accepted Yajvan ji's reasons, so there is no need to go any further.

If you do have a suggestion for "the best" translation - please let me know!

Thanks!
    This would be difficult for me to suggest without being bias, i am a Gujarati, i read Gita (Sastu Sahitya) as a worship,passed on to me by my father.
    I have several other Gita for references.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

I'm not sure what your intent is, Ganeshprasad.

We were discussing a possible erroneous translation and you specifically said you had never seen the translation present before. Now you say you have "plenty of resources" yet none contained this popular mistranslation? How can this be offered as reference only? That makes little to no sense, my friend.

I offered you source of the translation when you inferred it was not popular.

The sources above contain the translation - regardless of sloka. I provided them only for references to the characteristic given to Arjuna. I am not sure why you felt they needed to be individually analysed specifically for their relation to 2.2. Here is their relation to 2.2: they come before or after 2.2. Prior translated material contributes itself to later translated material and vice versa.

Your contribution to reference was that you have plenty of references (opinion), all of the links available with the mistranslation are on the wrong sloka (not sure of the relevance? The characteristic given to Arjuna is what is in question) and you can't make any recommendations.

You have contributed nothing "for reference only" in an argumentative and self-confirming way after we have already established that the characteristic given to Arjuna is anything but correct.

Pranam Water

I like to assure you, I harbour no ill intent my friend, I think we are getting lost in semantics, that is perhaps is my fault, I have not convey my thoughts properly. My choice of the word ‘reference’ with hindsight wasn’t correct.
    Yes it is true I had never seen the word coward in the slokas of Gita, until you provided that link, which translate Napusank as coward.
    When I made that statement, it was for sloka 2.2. in mind, and that only for the translation of sloka, that is perhaps why there is a confusion, I would add as already mentioned, none off the 700 slokas and its translations contained that word, for this I should add, I don’t mean the opinions or purports, I am sure if I look hard enough I find that word in the opinions.

I am sorry if I gave you wrong impression, that I have many references on ‘opinions’ on Gita, other then slokas and it translations . My Gita that I read is only Saskrit and its translations, the online Gita I use from Gita society offers only the translations in English, I use Prabhupad’s Gita mainly to get the Sanskrit, that is if I need to post on the forum.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information