Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: online Hinduism

1. online Hinduism

Increasingly, hindus and non-hindus are using the internet as a medium to facilitate religious practice, worship and knowledge. For example, some websites allow individuals to do a puja online through a flash application, other websites allow individuals to purchase a puja, which then an agent performs at the one's preferred temple and mails blessings (in the form of prasad) back to the individual.

Does this obviate the necessity of visiting a mandir or offering a puja in person? Is this type of puja equal in merit to one done at home or mandir with the physical elements?

Also, forums and discussion groups, allow individuals to contact each other and learn about the religion. In your opinion, is this replacing traditional means of learning, for example with a guru?

Re: online Hinduism

Quote Originally Posted by hindustudent View Post
    Increasingly, hindus and non-hindus are using the internet as a medium to facilitate religious practice, worship and knowledge. For example, some websites allow individuals to do a puja online through a flash application, other websites allow individuals to purchase a puja, which then an agent performs at the one's preferred temple and mails blessings (in the form of prasad) back to the individual.

Does this obviate the necessity of visiting a mandir or offering a puja in person? Is this type of puja equal in merit to one done at home or mandir with the physical elements?

Also, forums and discussion groups, allow individuals to contact each other and learn about the religion. In your opinion, is this replacing traditional means of learning, for example with a guru?
    Vannakkam hindustudent: I think the internet is helpfful as a means to spread information. Its a valuable resource when used wisely. I suggest wisely, because as with all information, it can very well be misinformation.

For an archana at a temple to work, the individual does not have to be present. many temples were performing such things long before the internet. Some people just sponsor things like once a month, or annually on their birthdays. So only the convenience is new, not the idea. Given this, most people do prefer to be present if at all possible.

The concept of an 'agent' isn't really right. Such things are done by the temple priests (far more common in South Indian style temples) . Usually the temple has a manager or staff, and a 'ticket' is purchased, then given to the priest, so the situation is similar whether the person praying is present or not. I can personally vouch that it does work. The main reason is that it is an inner process.

I certainly think forums and discussion boards are excellent places to learn and share in the joint dharma of Hindu solidarity.

Nothing can replace the physical presence of a Guru. Of course these are just my personal opinions. Others may vary.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind made some great points - and as I understand, sponsoring a practice by remote is nothing new. I was made aware of several services quite a few years ago but never quite committed.

Regardless of the geographic distance it still definitely makes a difference. At the worst case scenario, you are at least making the mental effort, stepping forward in participating and making that commitment. Of course, you're also monetarily assisting the temple or practitioner regardless. It's beneficial nonetheless.

That being said, as soon as I got the opportunity I visited a couple of temples. Absolutely wonderful experiences. Their is a noticeable difference in energy at the places I have visited. It's like an automatic humbling that draws you in.

The experience was further concreted by the fact that I myself am pretty cynical and dragged two cynical friends with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Water View Post
    Their is a noticeable difference in energy at the places I have visited. It's like an automatic humbling that draws you in.

The experience was further concreted by the fact that I myself am pretty cynical and dragged two cynical friends with me.
    Vannakkam Water: Excellent! This is why I go. I don't understand how some people can't feel it. So how were the cynical friends. Did they get it too?

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Water: Excellent! This is why I go. I don't understand how some people can't feel it. So how were the cynical friends. Did they get it too?

Aum Namasivaya
    I'm actually quite happy to say they did.

To give you more of a backstory... None of us are directly atheistic or anything along those lines. Two of us used to identify as Buddhists and the third was pretty neutral all around. All 3 of us are very logical, very cynical 25-30somethings that all work in I.T. Very logical bunch - port open, yes/no, if then, etc, 24/7x365.

We were there for about an hour and a half (and it went by nearly instantly). We were all transformed into a bunch of very quaint children, absolutely silent when we weren't asking questions like, "Can I stand here?" "Can I touch this?" "What is this bell for?" "Why does this statue of a bird-guy have a table on his head and wheels?" (the Garuda vahana for the Vishnu murti).

The devotees and temple staff were all very accommodating and took us on a little tour. Throughout the tour, it was very clear that our "usual" behavior had disappeared - no more sarcasm, no slouching, no chatter, etc.

All questions stopped abruptly when we neared Durga Maa and the Shivalinga. Some devotees were nearby as still as statues wearing ash. I'm not sure if a puja had recently ended?

I don't think we said a word to each other for about a half an hour later. One guy just kept saying it was "intense."

I think I'm the only one that continued to explore.

You would think after such a great experience, I would have the courage to go explore the different sites in Chicago when I'm there....

I've made it to the Rama Temple (HTGC) in Lemont and ISKCon in Chicago once or twice but I'm too chicken to go alone.

Vannakkam Water:

Yes, so it is too bad I wasn't more in contact. But to give you a bit more background on my trip to the Balaji temple ...

When on pilgrimage, usually there is a singular focus, so our singular focus was really the Murugan temple near DC. I had it quite well planned. But since I believe one should never lose an opportunity to enter a Hindu temple, I planned it so that each evening, after driving 7 or 8 hours, to go to a nearby one. So the pilgrimage proper started in Winnipeg, and took 3.5 days or so, to get to DC. But it worked out really nice, as Minneapolis, Chicago, Pittsburg are each about a day's drive, and then DC is another half day or so. So we were only in Chicago one evening from about 5 onward, and stayed in a motel very close to the Balaji temple on purpose, so we could shower right before going. I never say Chicago proper, and took the main interstates bypassing it to Indiana turnpike.

But when we arrived, the first thing we ran into upstairs in the temple proper was a Murugan Abhishekham going on, so right away we just sat down to watch that. Conicidence, some would say. (Not me.) Then after just basking for awhile and taking the aarti before the curtain closed for dressing, we wandered about. This temple is built agamically, South Indian style, and it was the done by same temple architect (sthapathi) as the sthapathi who did the design for the one in my home town of Edmonton. After we wandered we made it back to the Murugan shrines again.

My wife and I mst sort of stand out, as not only are we white, but unlike many Indians we ALWAYS wear traditional dress. Her sari doesn't stand out so bad, but my veshti does.

Downstairs we paid $17 for idli , dosas, sambar, etc. in the canteen, and only then did we talk to anyone at all. One chap who himself had only recently refound his faith tried to convert me, but some other people sort of edged him away from me. I think they overheard me say to him that I had been practicing for 40 years, but he didn't hear me, or chose not to. this type of thing is to be expected I guess.

Maybe some other day we'll pass through again. I have yet to 'do' Toronto, and its sort of a shortcut route from here.

Its kind of hard for me to understand why westerners are so hesitant to just up and go into temples. What is there to lose? Ego?

Aum Namasivaya

Sounds like you had a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Its kind of hard for me to understand why westerners are so hesitant to just up and go into temples. What is there to lose? Ego?
    I don't think it's so much ego.... It is more out of respect to other individuals.

I do not want to disturb the existing temple with my karma. I do not want to disrupt the worship of existing devotees with my presence. Many more points along the same line come to mind.

In regards to ego, I would be more than happy if they treated me like a child until I could "stand on my own." It would be just fine if they disregard me entirely as a tourist. Either way, I don't have any attachment to ego or expectations from ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Water View Post
    Sounds like you had a great trip!

I don't think it's so much ego.... It is more out of respect to other individuals.

I do not want to disturb the existing temple with my karma. I do not want to disrupt the worship of existing devotees with my presence. Many more points along the same line come to mind.

In regards to ego, I would be more than happy if they treated me like a child until I could "stand on my own." It would be just fine if they disregard me entirely as a tourist. Either way, I don't have any attachment to ego or expectations from ego.
    Vannakkam: Oh, I wasn't suggesting you had ego about it. I just meant that that is one of the reasons we all go. When a devotee recognises the Supreme embodied in the murthi, it gives you a perspective of being a speck. We prostrate to indicate this relationship. Sorry if you misunderstood.

I don't think you can disturb the existing worship by your presence. After all, you're not running around like some party animal, are you? Many devotees there will already be disturbing the place themselves with cell phones, etc. Just follow the posted rules, or watch what others do. I wouldn't put born Hindus on such a pedestal. it really depends on individuals.

Aum Namasivaya

namaste hindustudent.

My opinion about Hindu online worship and learning:

• As some members have indicated in this thread, there is nothing to match the personal experience by our physical presence in a temple.

• However, since physical presence on certain pujas of worship in temples is not necessary, one can 'purchase' a puja online or by other means and have it conducted on the specific date and also arrange for the vibhUti-kunkuma or some other prasAdam to be mailed to the devotee.

• But then, IMO, doing personal puja online with a Flash application with electronic flowers and bells etc. is not as effective as a puja done in our home shrine in the presence of our family members.

• As for learning from the Net, online books could be useful but online forums invariably teem with opionated expressions and digressions, so can't be a source of disciplined learning.

• Participation in online forums, however, can be good to assist our learning, provided one is wary of wasting time on defending his opinion and on digressions.

• As most Hindus these days are laukika--worldly, and as public schools in India don't teach the Hindu Dharma, the parents are in the position of a guru for the child. Beyond the basics, however, one is forced to rely on svAdhyAya and satsangha for one's growth in knowledge, for which the books that intrepret our traditional Hindu texts are the main source.

We have a collection of links for a personal Hindu library at HDF:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...7&postcount=55
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Nivruti dharma is all about self sadhna,worship,meditation.it is for self improvement. so it involves only self and better with other"s absence.

Pravruti dharma is done for worldly gain,and a priest"s mediation is acceptable , at least if one is not able or qualified to do it on his own. even one can do Japa, meditation for another individual,though the effect will be little lesser.

internet is just a media.blessings comes through mental waves.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Thread Information