Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veggies

Re: Veggies

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    I’m told that sages began using animal hides when meditating in the forest because animal skins keep away creepy-crawlies. But, I see your point. I don’t know if there was a thread on ahimsa here before, but may be we can start a new thread? I mean one about our personal ideas of ahimsa, and how it applies to life today.

Regards,
    A.
    My ideal of ahimsha lies in the following 2 lines, I don't read too many scriptures. But to me anything else has [roven to be a much poor ideal.

paritranaya sadhunam
    vinasaya ca duskrtam

By the way, many think that Lion hide represents skinning the ego dead. Devi riding a lion also represents the same.
    Devi slaying the demon mahisasura represents the slaying of ego in a sense.

Devi rides on a lion, because it requires characteristics of a lion - a fearless seeker of truth to grasp the essense of para shakti tatva. Also in collective social sense the truth & justice can rise in the face injustice and asuric oppression only when there are individuals with hearts of lion to carry the truth. Lion is a divine animal.

Sitting on animal skins may be much more practical. Skins with the head attached (mundi asana) signifies quest for knowledge. Head holds the secrets of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    My ideal of ahimsha lies in the following 2 lines, I don't read too many scriptures. But to me anything else has [roven to be a much poor ideal.

paritranaya sadhunam
    vinasaya ca duskrtam
    paritranaya sadhunam
    vinasaya ca duskrtam
    dharma-samsthapanarthaya
    sambhavami yuge yuge

satay

Unless of course, it an offensive act to even consider as an ideal the example set by the greatest guru of all.

Or chanting his name and churning out theories of how he is separate and superior is the only respect we can provide to his teaching.

To my knowledge, Buddhism branched off from Hinduism. I have heard that the Dalai Lama eats meat and not all Buddhists abstain from meat. They have certain conditions under which meat can be eaten. (I learnt this from Buddhists on another forum).

Quote Originally Posted by Shakti View Post
    To my knowledge, Buddhism branched off from Hinduism. I have heard that the Dalai Lama eats meat and not all Buddhists abstain from meat. They have certain conditions under which meat can be eaten. (I learnt this from Buddhists on another forum).
    Per statistics most Hindus are also meat eaters. However, in many Hindu traditions (but not all) vegetarianism is stressed as a very important basic virtue if you're to follow any form of yoga (bhakti, jnana, raja, etc.).

Some Chinese Buddhists once told me that they believe if you didn't see an animal being killed, if you didn't kill it yourself, and if you didn't have it killed for you specifically, then it's okay to eat that meat. I don't think Hindus have such beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Yes, I agree re sages not peeling the skin off dead animals, however, the point I was trying to make was that even sitting on a dead animal's skin gives the impression of himsa. doesn't it? Why would they sit on a dead animal's skin if the main message of hinduism is 'ahimsa' unless the meaning of ahimsa as we understand today is completely different than the sages understood it.

Not sure...
    I think this position is not scriptural, probably folklore. Rishis sit on kuSAsana, which is a bed of kuSa grass. Even if they sit on deer skin it must have been from a dead deer.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Thread Information