Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The incomparability of Hinduism

The incomparability of Hinduism

The foundational and fundamental understanding of God is that He is distinct in all ways to everything else and therefore He cannot be compared to anything else whatsoever. Hence He is Incomparable. Everything about God is Incomparable. Whatever/Everything that is about God, is never about anything else.

To say and understand this is to know that such a nature is befitting of the Majesty, Excellence and Glory of God and directly to know God Himself.

This in turn extends to our relationship and association with God. That whatever we do (regarding ourselves with respect)to God - whatever happens between us and God, does not elsewhere.(which is why there is also nothing "outside" of God - this is also an understanding of metaphysical reality itself. What is meant here is that God is the Creator and whatever proceeds from Him is creation, and there is no created thing or realm which God can be removed from)

We are the cohorts of God, and the interaction that takes place amongst ourselves, although made up of differences, is not entirely distinct, infact not even distinct in an actual sense, as absolute distinction alone is that of God, the world of difference actually is God's creativity and power, and God maintains His Exalted state with respect to anything of anykind, which is something that we cannot(unless we embark on the of Yoga - even then even the perfected Sages are not Co-Equals to God, the understanding here is that equanimity can only be achieved by one devoted to God and sees His Supremacy over all things else, so this is a further understanding for one engaging with greater dedication at a more advanced level, we have to "try" and "strive" and all the while God would direct and guide us, so again here it is just about being a better servant to God, and that is based upon your own standards, the state of equanimity which would be achieved then too is not "being like how God is", its the state of creation being closest to its Creator on its own accord, God is Intimate with everything/everyone always)

How is Hinduism "incomparable" ? Hinduism is not incomparable in the sense God is. Hinduism is the path to God, the Incomparable One, hence it derives its incomparability.

An "example"(so to speak) is the worship of God, which is tenet/practice.

Worship should only be to God.

Why is God alone worthy of worship? Because God is distinct? But if so, that means God is distinct only what, right? What has worship got to do with anything? God doesnt lose his distinctness if worship by us is directed elsewhere, right?

That is right. This is where the subsequent understanding comes.(I will get to this later) We can choose to worship anything besides God, but that doesnt mean its correct, the fact that we have a choice means that we have freedom, but freedom is not without consequences(and I dont mean Hell here), and the reality that we can seek to not worship God shows(to us) that God is not intent on you worshipping Him. It is not that He "cannot", even if God made you only worship Him(without a choice), it wouldnt mean that He got what He wants more, everything is done in God's way(including our not worshipping Him). The only way is that of God, no matter what you do, its God who is actually under control. To feel this is worship.

Now getting back to the subsequent understanding.

God's incomparability is that God is unlike anything - He is distinct from all else, and only He is that way, and within this is the natural understanding that Brahman is one without a second, one without a part, one without a kind, one in a way that is uncompromising, beyond numbers, simply the Supreme One, the Absolute, or God/Brahman.

God remains Incomparable no matter what He does.

What we do towards Him, where we honour Him (be it speaking of Him, praising of Him - when you speak of God, it is by default a praise, such is the Glory of God, God is Great and His Greatness is Infinite, this is the truth about the nature of God, saying this alone is also a praise -, or worshipping Him) should not be done to something else. Or else its delusional.

Speaking about God, we say God is Omniscient. To say something else, like for example a cup is Omniscient, is on our part our own delusion, as it is false, and we are the only stupid ones here, God remains to be the only entity which is Omniscient.

Likeso, action towards God that is (physical)worship, should be directed towards God alone.

One can speak about God, and not understand. One can bow down and not understand. The root of worship is understanding, and that requires the focus of the mind on God.

Knowing God and accepting Him for who He is, and feeling about Him which is in a certain way unlike anything else, is because the person who is God is distinct/unique.

The basic following of Hinduism is this. Worshipping God (according to how God sees it fit, and doing it the proper, acceptable way).

Subordination without question/hesitation is worship. And subordination by all costs towards someone else is only something apart from God, that we can do to Sages. Because Sages are servants of God who are greater than us (better in their servitude, who can even communicate directly with God).

They(Sages) verbally transmitted to us the truth they had ability to receive i.e Vedas. And Vedas are Holy.

A Sage may ask of you to do something. And this may not be directly related to his work on behalf of God. Still you must do it. Simply because he is a Sage.

Moreso then are the Vedas, which are Holy, thus in this way too they are Infallible/Uncontestable. The value of the verse of the Veda does not rest on the Sage who revealed it, but the verse itself, the truth that it is. The Sage rose to prominance because of the verse.

The reason behind subordinance to a Sage is not because of his own nature, but because he is more close to God than you are/he is of a higher "spiritual rank". And serving him only cleanses your sins and association with him in anyway is a blessing.

And unlike other "ranks" and "authorities", Sages do not take delight in exercising their authority, they have handed their egos over to God, and do whatever God commands them to, which is why they are fit for the task.

Similarly the religion of the Vedas, that is Hinduism, according to Indian cultural context, because India is the land of the Sages, is incomparable, because its about God.

Hinduism isnt God. Hinduism is the religion of God, as followed and taught by the Sages. So Hinduism isnt Incomparable the way God is but through its relation to God, that of being the religion.

Re: The incomparability of Hinduism

WOW , GOD-inspired

Perhaps this should be our sticky way up above all the Forum Folders, not just in Dvaita subfolder - or at least under "God in Hindu Dharma." - I know that wouldn't be right, but this needs to be somewhere all eyes go.

praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

The foundational and fundamental understanding of God is that He is distinct in all ways to everything else and therefore He cannot be compared to anything else whatsoever. Hence He is Incomparable. Everything about God is Incomparable. Whatever/Everything that is about God, is never about anything else.

The whole post seems to be influenced by Islamic teachings. but i couldn"t sense what is the gist of the thread.
    Last edited by anirvan; 29 April 2011 at 01:02 AM.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

nitinsharma Guest

I do not know what to say.Hinduism is the greatest,best religion.You will never hear me even suggesting otherwise.Sorry to say so but it is COMPARABLE.That's it.Like it or hate it,it is comparable.Nothing else.I know I might be sounding anti-hindu or whatever,so please forgive my inability to see things your way.

I doubt I can match your profound knowledge,but I will make a bold assumption here,that you do not know what Paganism is,atleast the way I do.
    The Vedas,the Bhagavat Gita alone are enough pip ANY other religion.
    We may never know what great treasures the Pagans had.Thanks to the cutheans.

Apologies for any wrong statements/assumptions in this post.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumar_Das View Post
    Hinduism isnt God. Hinduism is the religion of God, as followed and taught by the Sages. So Hinduism isnt Incomparable the way God is but through its relation to God, that of being the religion.
    I think what you offer is very inspiring and worthy of a 2nd read.The orientation I am thinking of is of those kind souls that wish to practice hinduism ( I prefer the term sanātana dharma ) and are not certain where to start. So , the ~starting~ is then with wearing beads, bindu, or other accessories to feel being part of the group. Yet these things, these customs comes from the desire to be absorbed in the Supreme, to come to know the Lord in full and not the other way around. So what you say makes perfect sense ( to me) - Hinduism isn't God.

That is, I fear, some think if I dress or look like a Hindu that then makes it so. This is the blunder many can fall into . I am in hopes people see this and can reconcile that looks are just that of the body. It is the intrinsic value of being absorbed in the Supreme that is ones course in life. Every thing else should be the ingredients that takes you there.
    This we can call 'commitment' - this is what sanātana dharma means to me - that vehicle that assists and compliments one's commitment.
    The commitment = sanātana dharma = path to the Supreme.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by anirvan View Post
    The whole post seems to be influenced by Islamic teachings. but i couldn"t sense what is the gist of the thread.
    How many times do we have deal with this accusation/insult?

Tattva Vada is a wholly Vedic philosophy based entirely on the Vedas and other Vedic derivative scriptures and seeks to be completely faithful to it. The works of Dvaita follow actual authoritative systems of interpretation rigorously and robustly. The format is very systematic. Sri Madhva' Gita Bhashya which is available online, and how he quotes extensively from other scriptures to back up. Even the Sanskrit terminology is heavily studied from a classical and historical perspective.

Infact as far as I know, Dvaitins are the most committed to the whole of Vedas and Prasthana Trayi. Not like in Advaita, where a few words/verses are taken in isolation, and very bold assertions are made from out of nowhere.

The spirit of Dvaita is consistency, being true to the exact meaning all the way through.

You're a Gaudiya yourself correct? Funny because I find similarities in the behaviour of Gaudiyas especially the "converts" and Muslims. Muslims claim Mohammad to be of the lineage of Abraham and Islam to be contemporary yet complementary to the other Abrahamic religions, and Muhammad/Islam to finalize Abrahamism. And you say things like "it was only valid for that time" in reference to other traditions/schools. There is certain patronizing jargon that is typical of Gaudiyas and its also quite hypocritical, on one hand there is a certain hatred for Adi Shankara and his "Mayavada" and on the other hand you accept that he was an incarnation of Lord Shiva and who was born to defeat Buddhism to "pave the way" for Chaitanya philosophy and teachings.

It's a nice tactic trying to insult "being influenced by a religion(especially religions that have been antagonistic to Hinduism)" as a way of denouncing. I know Dvaitins accuse Advaita of being Buddhistic in nature, but the fact of the matter is alot of Advaitic works do seem to heavily borrow from Buddhist ones.

I personally don't object to this because Advaita simply took Buddhist terminology and concepts and gave their own altogether. For them its a matter of convenience. Just like their interpretation of the Upanishads: "find something that we can use to support what we have in our mind".

I believe that Dvaita philosophy is the true essence of Vedas

1) since God is the way He is and that is Monotheistic, Monotheism is just "natural" without the scriptures

2) scripture give us the proper understanding - we cannot do without it

[QUOTE=Kumar_Das;64073]How many times do we have deal with this accusation/insult?

Tattva Vada is a wholly Vedic philosophy based entirely on the Vedas and other Vedic derivative scriptures and seeks to be completely faithful to it. The works of Dvaita follow actual authoritative systems of interpretation rigorously and robustly. The format is very systematic. Sri Madhva' Gita Bhashya which is available online, and how he quotes extensively from other scriptures to back up. Even the Sanskrit terminology is heavily studied from a classical and historical perspective.

Infact as far as I know, Dvaitins are the most committed to the whole of Vedas and Prasthana Trayi. Not like in Advaita, where a few words/verses are taken in isolation, and very bold assertions are made from out of nowhere.
    Namaste, it was never intended to insult or showing inferior to any teachings.my apology if it looked like that.

But do you want to say in above sentences that Rigorous and robust interpretation of scriptural description will bring the truth.truth is self evident and logical,scientific and rational to common thinking. more you interpret,more the illusory world of WORDS will be created.

I strongly believe religion is based upon realization....APAROKHSA ANUBHUTI,not scriptural realization.

and to any rational thinking mind,advita is ultimate truth.rest are relative and yes as for as working knowledge is concerned,Dvita is sufficient.

I neither take pride as Gaudiya,nor mayavadi, but a truth seeker.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    WOW , GOD-inspired

Perhaps this should be our sticky way up above all the Forum Folders, not just in Dvaita subfolder - or at least under "God in Hindu Dharma." - I know that wouldn't be right, but this needs to be somewhere all eyes go.

praNAm
    Namaste smaranam,

I am glad that you appreciate and support my post.

pranams

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I think what you offer is very inspiring and worthy of a 2nd read.The orientation I am thinking of is of those kind souls that wish to practice hinduism ( I prefer the term sanātana dharma ) and are not certain where to start. So , the ~starting~ is then with wearing beads, bindu, or other accessories to feel being part of the group. Yet these things, these customs comes from the desire to be absorbed in the Supreme, to come to know the Lord in full and not the other way around. So what you say makes perfect sense ( to me) - Hinduism isn't God.

That is, I fear, some think if I dress or look like a Hindu that then makes it so. This is the blunder many can fall into . I am in hopes people see this and can reconcile that looks are just that of the body. It is the intrinsic value of being absorbed in the Supreme that is ones course in life. Every thing else should be the ingredients that takes you there.

This we can call 'commitment' - this is what sanātana dharma means to me - that vehicle that assists and compliments one's commitment.
    The commitment = sanātana dharma = path to the Supreme.

praṇām
    Namaste,

Hello again and I am also glad you posted and offered your insight regarding Hinduism as well. I agree with you. Outward appearances do not define spiritual endeavour. They are only parts of the steps we take that symbolize. They indicate and are precursors before the engagement, not the course and end in and of themselves.

pranams

I'm not sure I support your "bashing" of Advaita and Buddhism. The Oneness of nature and the fluid nature of the universe is what people(philosophers, sages, modern scientists) have pointed to since time immemorial.

It's not exclusively a Hindu, Buddhist, Daoist, Neoplatonist, Sufi, Gnostic, etc. concept because once one implies "ownership" over the philosophy that introduces a level of false duality in our minds.

I don't mean to criticize overly but I do believe some of your statements contain LARGE logical fallacies. You say it is natural for a human to worship a monotheistic God as per the Vedas.

If it is so natural then why are there philosophies opposed to it and why don't babies come out of their mother chanting the vedas? My point is the moment someone exalts something as being the "right" path for humanity is the moment they lost all credibility.

If there was a so called "right" path for Humanity don't you think that would be a bit of a let down because we would never need to use our intellect for anything all we would have to do is follow this "right" path?

Thread Information