Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head coverings

Head coverings

This is mostly for the female members; why do we cover our heads when we enter a temple?

Re: Head coverings

Namaste,

Probably just a cultural thing? We don't cover our heads here. And probably most don't.

OM
    यस्मिन् सर्वाणि भूतान्यात्मैवाभूद्विजानत:।
    तत्र को मोह: क: शोक एकत्वमनुपश्यत:॥ ७॥

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7405

i have answered in post no-9. of thread Female priests?
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Divine Kala, aren't you forgetting how graceful and enchanting women usually are to men? They are indeed maya incarnate to us.

I'd also add the layer of chastity in the case she's married too, so to avoid attracting contemplation from other men.

Interesting.

To be honest, I thought this was a utilitarian thing to keep the hair, jewelry, etc from spilling out on to the floor or distracting others.

At the sites I have visited, I would say roughly only half of the women have practiced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    Divine Kala, aren't you forgetting how graceful and enchanting women usually are to men? They are indeed maya incarnate to us.

I'd also add the layer of chastity in the case she's married too, so to avoid attracting contemplation from other men.
    I suppose it's because I don't think of myself as graceful or enchanting (I trip over my own feet) and I'm totally clueless about attraction so it doesn't always make sense to me. But if it is to keep the sattvic air of the temple, then I suppose I'll just have to do it (although only about half the women do it)!

Plus, I think it's pretty.

It is not necessaryand majority of people visiting don't do this...but temple priest advice to cover your heads by a piece of clean cloth. It shows your devotion.

Vannakkam: This custom varies a lot from region to region, sect to sect. Generally more common in the north of India, I believe.

Its another illustration of our vastness, and how many people generalise Hinduism from their own one sect within it. Its difficult yet necessary to always keep this component in mind, at least in my opinion.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    This is mostly for the female members; why do we cover our heads when we enter a temple?

We don't.

Here I have yet to see even one female or male with a head covered. I had stalked that temple from the parking lot, too afraid to go in and I have seen hundreds of ladies in various modest clothes...and some not so modest. All were welcome.

Aside from the muslims, I have yet to meet a hindu that thought somehow women were some kind of "mystical" magnet that causes all men to have temptation just by being present.

If a man can not control his own thoughts on such matters, then it's something he has to work on.

Men and women both have urges. No one has a corner market on restraint. Women just hide it a heck of a lot better. Trust me, what women say away from men would curl your toes. I know it made me uncomfortable.

Honestly, the reasons I was given by muslim hardliners to cover was those exactly mentioned above, the reason females aren't even allowed out of their homes is to keep men from impure actions and thoughts. How nice of them.

We aren't talking about going into a temple with a bathing suit on, as long as you wear modest clothes, long pants or skirt and not low cut shirt...you will be fine.

Kala, you could not make a temple unsattvic even if you tried.<3

But don't try

We are not these animals we inhabit...we are not female or male in the end...and spending so much time on the wrapping completely ruins the Truth of the Gift within.<3

Namaste

The most important point has been missing on this thread:

Cover your head in a Temple - but only for MohanA ! Or Radha-Mohan, and Guru perhaps, and for the VAsudev residing inside others. This is predominant in KrushNa temples, and yes, seen more in North India and North Indian culture - and most in Vraj - VrundAvan, MathurA, Shri DwArakA etc. It is for ThAkurJi (Shri KrushNa, VishNu) , and the sentiment follows automatically.

Haven't you seen VrajavAsi and other VaishNav men wearing a pallu on the head ? Gopi bhAv what else ?! If not, it is at least out of a sentiment of reverence and respect if not the bhAv of a meet, or premikA.

Visit VrundAvan, especially in KArtik, and i challenge you to come back without this sentiment, and if you are a lady, i challenge you to come back without entering the Temples , nay, even the streets (Vraj ki galiyAN) without that viel on your head. It is automatic. It should be.

ManMohanA ~ Tum bin pauN kaise chain ...

----

P.S. It is true that the tradition holds - in villages and khAndAns (orthodox [royal] families) in India even today, that one covers the head in front of elders such and father-in-law, mother-in-law as well as out in society.
    Last edited by smaranam; 03 May 2011 at 03:21 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information