Thread: Shiva is Vishnu/Vishnu is Shiva?

Shiva is Vishnu/Vishnu is Shiva?

From "Dancing With Siva" by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami - Pge 57

"What are God Siva's Traditional Forms?"

Every form is a form of Siva........He is also Dakshinamurti, the silent teacher; Hari-Hara-half Siva, half Vishnu....

Can anyone explain? If Siva is Vishnu, is he not Krishna and all the other Gods? Is it then OK to pick another as one's primary God of worship and still be mindful of Siva? Does this explain why I see Radha/Krishna as the main deities installed in temples in the United States with either no Siva representations or very small shrines within the temples? Sorry for what seem to be the basics - I'm still trying to find my way.

Re: Shiva is Vishnu/Vishnu is Shiva?

he is the one without a second.

Because we prefer to worship him as shiva doesn't mean that he is not
    Vishnu and vice a versa.

Saiva Siddhanta which u quote is a monistic mission, so there is only one God and nothing except God.

Non-monists will not agree to Siva being vishnu and vice-a-versa.

Hinduism has basically 2 broad divisions, monistic & non-monistic.
    U have read the hot debates that goes on around here from time
    to time

Smile Re: Shiva is Vishnu/Vishnu is Shiva?

namaste,
    In my opinion, we should concentrate on realizing god instead of worrying if he wears a bhasma tilak or chandan. Let us just focus on his feet first and with his grace and permission maybe we will see what he wears.
    satay

Namaste all,

Most of the temples here in the US are Smarta, I think. The temple I go to also has Vishnu/Narayana as the primary Deity, and a side shrine for Shiva. The God of all Hindus is the same, but we see and understand the Lord through different forms and means. We can follow our particular guru and sampradaya perfectly without believing others are wrong. Just my two cents .

OM Shanti,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    From "Dancing With Siva" by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami - Pge 57

"What are God Siva's Traditional Forms?"

Every form is a form of Siva........He is also Dakshinamurti, the silent teacher; Hari-Hara-half Siva, half Vishnu....

Can anyone explain? If Siva is Vishnu, is he not Krishna and all the other Gods? Is it then OK to pick another as one's primary God of worship and still be mindful of Siva? Does this explain why I see Radha/Krishna as the main deities installed in temples in the United States with either no Siva representations or very small shrines within the temples? Sorry for what seem to be the basics - I'm still trying to find my way.

Dear C Smith:

Atma, that is Self is the highest and absolute. A representation of this is as below:

Mahanarayana Upanishad (ekavi.nsho.anuvaakaH)
    iishaanaH sarvavidyaanaamiishvaraH sarvabhuutaanaaM
    brahmaadhipatirbrahmaNo.adhipatirbrahmaa shivo me astu sadaashivom.h

XXI-1: May the Supreme Lord who is the ruler of all knowledge, controller of all created beings, the preserver of the Vedas and the one overlord of Hiranyagarbha, be auspicious to me. I am the Sadasiva described thus and denoted by Pranava.

Shiva and/or Vishnu as personal gods have been imagined/perceived at many different levels -- some gross some fine. The main point, however, is that the real you (known when devoid of any desire) are the auspicious one (Shiva).

Though even Puranas proclaim non-difference of the trinity and the source of trinity to be the Brahman (Self), people like to clothe god with their own preferences often forgetting that the aim is to go above the personal (ego) preferences. This is natural. The whole matter of division is merely conceptual like shape of a gold ring is.

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 22 December 2006 at 01:09 PM.

Here is what Kanchi Paramacharya says on Siva and Vishnu:

We Hindus regard both Siva and Vishnu as the same and this is evident from the fact that in the ecstasy of our devotion, whether were are alone or are in groups, we exclaim " Haro-Hara" and "Govinda-Govinda", which(whose) names come to our lips spontaneously. The holy days of Sivaratri and Janmashtami are divided from each other by exactly 180 days, and this seems to indicate that God in His aspect as Siva protects us during one-half of the year, and in His aspect as Vishnu, in the other half. The traditional practice of boys and girls collecting oil for their vigil on Sivaratri and Janmashtami nights, singing in chorus a song which means that Sivaratri and Sri Jayanti are the same, is another pointer to the identity of these two manifestations of the Divine. Apachaaranivrtti must precede Anugraha - eradication of sins must precede blessings. So God as Hara destroy the sins of His devotees, while as Govinda, He protects them from harm. The expressions Hara -Hara and Govinda-Govinda come to children effortlessly. It is significant that Sri Sankara composed Bhaja Govindam when he was a child and Sri Sambandar sang that Hara naama should envelop the world, when he too was a child. The Upanishads speak of God as Uma-sameta-Parameswara, and it is worthy of note that all children refer to God as Ummachi, which is obviously a contraction for Uma-Maheswara. Thus, in the language of children, there is no difference between Siva and Vishnu.

The sense of religious toleration is not a modern conception. It can be traced to very ancient times. The Kural proclaimed that all teachings referred only to one Porul or Object. Sri Sankara and Sri Sambandar saw the same God worshipped in the six systems to which they referred. Arhat, the name by which Jains call the Supreme Being, is a Vedic name identified with Siva. Other religions also speak of one God.

(Source: http://www.kamakoti.org/acall/ac-godisone.html)

Thread Information