Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Shiva?

Who is Shiva?

I have become interested in Lord Shiva. What are the storys about Him, what should a interested person know? And also importantly where to find these things?

Thanks for any help

Re: Who is Shiva?

The place to start could be the Shiva Purana. There are quite a few sources online for the translated text.

Here's a link to many of the Puranas to get you started:
    http://is1.mum.edu/vedicreserve/puran.htm

Vannakkam Rudy: I happen to be a member of the Saiva Sect. The very last place I would go is the Shiva Purana. Here is a link to a video that you might find inspiring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW-qrBQABD0

From a Saiva perspective, Siva is no story. He/She is reality. Causal reality, primal soul, substratum of all that exists, and more. Not just another mythical God in the group. In fact, I don't even worship that form.

I only worship Him as Nataraja, Lingam, or Dakshinamurthy, in murthy form.

I would recommend Subramuniyaswami's trilogy, Dancing with Siva, Living with Siva, and Merging with Siva. Three fairly lengthy and deep books, but written in American English.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I would recommend Subramuniyaswami's trilogy, Dancing with Siva, Living with Siva, and Merging with Siva. Three fairly lengthy and deep books, but written in American English. Aum Namasivaya
    exellent books, everyone here in the west must read them.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Some say śiva is cideva bhagavatī or divine consciousness alone.
    With this view, there is also the understanding that the Lord, the Supreme, is bhagavān viśvaśarira .

That is He, śiva (bhagavān) is universe-bodied (viśvaśarira). That is why this universe comes from Him - sṛṣṭi -
    letting go, the manifestation from Himself.

If this is the truth, which the āgama-s tell us it is, then the question really is, what is not śiva ?

May you find your answer - śivāya gamyatām , (a prosperous journey to you)

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 03 May 2011 at 11:03 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    The very last place I would go is the Shiva Purana.
    Really? Why?

I've read most of Gurudeva's books as well as the Shiva Puranas and didn't find anything extremely contradictory. The Puranas are more mythological and anthropomorphic while the Himalayan Academy publishings are definitely more spiritual. Is that the reason?

There is probably something subtle I missed, ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Water View Post
    I've read most of Gurudeva's books as well as the Shiva Puranas and didn't find anything extremely contradictory. The Puranas are more mythological and anthropomorphic while the Himalayan Academy publishings are definitely more spiritual. Is that the reason?

Shiva is more than what is there in the Puranas. The stories in Shiva Puranas are knowledge for the beginners in Spirituality & not for the evolved souls.

As EM and Yajvan have rightly pointed out. The Reality is Shiva. The manifested universe is the dance of Shiva. Shiva is alone that Is, was or will eever be. Shiva is the ultimate reality.

You may like to go through this thread "I Am Shiva" : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=89

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by Water View Post
    Really? Why?

Vannakkam Water: For me personally, any representation that portrays God or Gods with human characteristics is sort of belittlement. I find it difficult to not think in human terms. Courtship, fighting, cutting off a child's head etc. all seem so very ungodly to me.

On a side note, I think it is also confusing to children. It more or less confirms the Abrahamic version of some old man on a cloud. Siva is far beyond human. He has no wife, for example. Siva and Devi in human form are poor representations of what in reality it is: unmanifest, and manifest energy, and much much more.

I prefer Lingam, or Nataraja as each stands out differently. Nataraja represents what primal soul actually looks like, more akin to the beings from Close Encounters, in etheric light bodies.

Even for Murugan, I like the Vel itself, and that's where my eyes automatically go whilst in worship.

But that's just me. If other people can use human representations of God, and still go beyond that in their minds, then that's fine. For children, I think they might get confused. Certainly, as soon as they are able to think abstractly, they should be told the truth.

I have nothing against Puranas or any other aspect of Hinduism, but its just not for me.

Aum Namasivaya

I think the problem EM ji has is that he sees the Puranas as reducing Siva to a human level but I personally feel this is far from the truth. The Shiva Purana gives Shiva human characteristics so that we weak humans can identify with him. He carries out his leelas so that we may transcend mere human thinking and achieve even some small union with 'him'.

I see. The responses confirmed what I had thought - the puranas are considered more "fables" than truth.

Just to be clear, my personal beliefs do not align with considering Mahadeva a "simple human" or anything along those lines.

"Cutting off a child's head" ? The Purana says he lopped off a fierce opponent's head! Ganesha can never considered a mere child.

Thread Information