Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Are there here followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi?

  1. #1

    Are there here followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi?

    Namaste All,

    I am writing to ask whether there are followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi on this forum?
    I am interested in the advaita view and I hae just begin to study the teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi.
    I would like this thread to be a place where His teachings can be discussed so that we can learn more about it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,191
    Rep Power
    5026

    Re: Are there here followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi?

    Vannakkam adevotee: I don't think there are many if any here who follow his teachingd directly. Some of us have been to Tiruvanamalai and arunaleshwara temple though. http://richardarunachala.wordpress.c...iruvannamalai/

    His vibration sort of permeates the place.

    Aum Namasivaya

  3. #3
    Join Date
    December 2007
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,218
    Rep Power
    4719

    Re: Are there here followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi?

    Quote Originally Posted by adevotee108 View Post
    Namaste All,

    I am writing to ask whether there are followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi on this forum?
    I am interested in the advaita view and I hae just begin to study the teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi.
    I would like this thread to be a place where His teachings can be discussed so that we can learn more about it.
    Sri Ramana Maharishi was an Advaita teacher and therefore all Advaitins revere him & that includes me. I have read books on his teachings & I am influenced by his teachings. Atanu, who is not visting these forums off late, was very much influenced by his teachings.

    However, as EM pointed out, I doubt if there is anyone who is a follower in "disciple" sense here on this forum.

    OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

  4. #4

    Re: Are there here followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi?

    Namaste,
    What devotee said. One of the greatest scholars of modern times he is.

    OM
    यस्मिन् सर्वाणि भूतान्यात्मैवाभूद्विजानत:।
    तत्र को मोह: क: शोक एकत्वमनुपश्यत:॥ ७॥



  5. #5
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,191
    Rep Power
    5026

    Re: Are there here followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi?

    Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Sri Ramana Maharishi was an Advaita teacher and therefore all Advaitins revere him & that includes me. I have read books on his teachings & I am influenced by his teachings. Atanu, who is not visting these forums off late, was very much influenced by his teachings.

    However, as EM pointed out, I doubt if there is anyone who is a follower in "disciple" sense here on this forum.

    OM
    Vannakkam: As always, Devotee has astute words. I would venture even further. There is a wide variance of what constitutes a 'follower' . Its been some time now since Ramana's mahasamadhi, and as far as I know, he didn't name a successor.

    I don't think He even held formal classes or formed much of an institution or anything like that. My understanding is that he spoke truths from direct advaitic cognition, and others gathered around and recorded some of it. I'm really not all that sure. I do believe there is an ashram dedicated to His teachings. Spending time there would constitute some seriousness.

    When an individual declares, "I'm a follower of ______." , we should take it with a grain of salt unless we hear more details. In a strict sense, the teacher must also agree to this relationship.

    Even given that, within the followers who have been accepted by Guru, there are variances. Some are renunciate monks who may spend daily time with Guru, whilst others may go visit once a year. So these ideas of close follower, sishya, devotee, beginning student, all come up.

    The other extreme is a universalist or some such who claims to be a follower of every religion, Guru etc. This is fine too. Not my cup of tea, but hey if it works for someone, fine.

    Regardless of all these vague definitions, the real key is whether of not anyone is putting the teachings into practice in daily lives.

    Aum Namasivaya

  6. #6

    Re: Are there here followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi?

    Namaste!

    Thank you all for your replies so far.

    By the word "follower" now I am referring to someone who reads his books and practices the methods taught by him, which is self-inquery - 'Who Am I?' (Nan Yar?).

    I know there aren't so called organizations connected to his name, nor did he appoint anyone as his "successor" etc.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Posts
    258
    Rep Power
    200

    Re: Are there here followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi?

    I consider myself to be a sharer in his philosophy I wouldn't call myself a "follower" of him because that implies dedication a person.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,191
    Rep Power
    5026

    Re: Are there here followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi?

    Quote Originally Posted by adevotee108 View Post
    Namaste!

    Thank you all for your replies so far.

    By the word "follower" now I am referring to someone who reads his books and practices the methods taught by him, which is self-inquery - 'Who Am I?' (Nan Yar?).

    I know there aren't so called organizations connected to his name, nor did he appoint anyone as his "successor" etc.
    Vannakkam: Certainly a very wise choice of study. Best wishes on it.

    Aum Namasivaya

  9. #9

    Re: Are there here followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi?

    Namaste Adevotee108,

    As others have said, I follow Sri Ramana's teaching's but I am not a "disciple" of him. He was a great saint.

    Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

  10. #10

    Re: Are there here followers of Sri Ramana Maharshi?

    Namaste,

    You are right! But somehow I had to express a kind of connection to him and his teaching...but I did not mean the word "follower" in this case as someone who exclusively follow him. I agree with your statement. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    I consider myself to be a sharer in his philosophy I wouldn't call myself a "follower" of him because that implies dedication a person.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gunas and the Brain differences
    By atanu in forum Canteen
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06 August 2010, 12:33 AM
  2. A Personal Hindu Library
    By saidevo in forum Dharma-related Websites
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 17 March 2009, 01:31 AM
  3. Svetasvatara Upanishad
    By soham3 in forum Upanishads & Aranyakas
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 27 April 2008, 04:31 AM
  4. Hinduism and India's Decline
    By suresh in forum Hot Topics
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 24 April 2008, 11:57 PM
  5. Meditation and Concentration
    By atanu in forum Jnana
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 28 October 2007, 06:09 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •