Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left hand and index finger

Re: Left hand and index finger

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    It's fun and makes everything tastes better.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
    Vannakkam: We are eating some of our own prana with fingers.

Saidevo: I get so ridiculously hungry when I read that. For anyone in DC atrea, Woodlands restaurant is awesome! I wish we had a better South Indian one here.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...w=1440&bih=729

Aum Namasivaya

Hehehe... as a person born into a Filipino body, eating with one's hands comes naturally to me. So at least there wasn't too much of a cultural learning as I know some others. I just haven't done it in a long time; I only did it when I was living with my family.

Now, I just eat with a spoon and fork like the rest of modern Canadian society. XD

"Only by providence have I been forcibly brought under Your lotus feet and deprived of all my opulence. Because of the illusion created by temporary opulence, people in general, who live under material conditions, facing accidental death at every moment, do not understand that this life is temporary. Only by providence have I been saved from that condition."

-- Bali Maharaja

Harinama, spoon AND fork? Y'all on the west coast must be more civilized than us...
    Then again, neither Tim Hortons donuts nor Slurpees require any utensils at all, and that's about 90% of the average Winnipeg food intake.

EM: That post makes me hungry, too. There is a Woodlands restaurant in Tennessee, as well. Fantastic rasam and idlis...

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    Harinama, spoon AND fork? Y'all on the west coast must be more civilized than us...
    Then again, neither Tim Hortons donuts nor Slurpees require any utensils at all, and that's about 90% of the average Winnipeg food intake.

EM: That post makes me hungry, too. There is a Woodlands restaurant in Tennessee, as well. Fantastic rasam and idlis...

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
    Hah...

I miss doughnuts though. Unfortunately I haven't seen any egg-free doughnuts around here, although it is by rumour among ISKCON devotees that a bakery exists here somewhere here...

I can not remember the name, but there is an ISKCON invented 'Indian doughnuts' recipe somewhere. They are basically deepfried pastry puffs soaked in a sweet yogourt sauce. I guess that must be the closest, lol.

"Only by providence have I been forcibly brought under Your lotus feet and deprived of all my opulence. Because of the illusion created by temporary opulence, people in general, who live under material conditions, facing accidental death at every moment, do not understand that this life is temporary. Only by providence have I been saved from that condition."

-- Bali Maharaja

5. Re: Left hand and index finger

What answer is to those who are handicaps with right hand ?
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

This is a religious practice? I used to think it was just some weird Indian thing whenever my dad would slap my left hand because I stretched it out to take something from him, or when I picked up prasadam with my left hand, etc. I didn't know it actually had any basis in Hinduism.

Try this recipe out, perhaps...

And a piece of news I found while searching, absolutely delightful. Something to read while you eat.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

double post
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 22 May 2011 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    This is a religious practice? I used to think it was just some weird Indian thing whenever my dad would slap my left hand because I stretched it out to take something from him, or when I picked up prasadam with my left hand, etc. I didn't know it actually had any basis in Hinduism.
    Vannakkam Sanjaya: The mystical explanation is that prana of a higher energy flows from the right side. Its odd though, that this isn't just in Hinduism. A ton of older cultures, including British whatever culture that is, think left-handedness is inauspicious.

I liked Param's thought though. As a knower of a one-armed handicapped man, I never really thought about it. I'm sure common sense would allow anyone to eat with their left hand if that was the only hand they had. Other wise the poor chap might just die on us. An extreme example of how common sense just has to override culture some days.

I can just picture this overly orthodox older grumpy looking woman yelling at her son's innocent house guest. "In my house you eat with your RIGHT hand!"

"But, Amma, Ranjit doesn't have a right hand."
    "But that is the custom!"

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Harinama View Post
    The one thing I have a big disdain about Vaishnava Dharma, and Hinduism in general, is this idea of auspiciousness or inauspiciousness based on certain practices; orthopraxy seems to be considered more important.

For example, eating with one's left hand and using the left hand is considered inauspicious. I am now used to eating with my right, but I was chastised a few times for utilising my left hand in eating and scooping up rice.

Also, why indeed is the index finger so inauspicious to use? We are forbidden to point it at people because it is akin to rudeness and cursing our fellow friends, but also it goes far as to avoid using that finger when fingering a japa-mala.

In this kind of modern age where we no longer make the left hand our 'bathroom' hand, this cultural/religious practice is still being enforced.
    There is only one problem. Hindu traditions starts with a reason. The time when this system originated, due to some reason left use to be unfit for some works(due to some other activity). But then people blindly believes that it is FORCED by the dharma even after that reason is no more applicable. This blind-believes mainly started after the Muslim influence. Before that people were aware why they are doing something. But after the Muslim domination, science in dhamra was neglected and strict following of text begin. This was the stupidity which ruined our country and made it applicable for British to dominate it. Actually Hindu Dharma don't force you like Quran. Vedas themselves says once you have got the eternal knowledge, you no more need me. A good example is rangoli. When rangoli tradition was originated, it was made by edible flour, popularly rice flour. It keeps the house clean and kept insects away from the interior of the house as they got enough food out.

Also, we must remember that Hindu Dharma accepts amendments.

I'm a Hindu nationalist. But I can use my both hands. Some time I eat and write with left hand and some time with right. When I started to write, I used my left hand. Some stupid foolish teacher forced me to use my right hand. Then when I came to 8th class, with practice of 1-2 week I was able to use both of my hands. Is this means I'm not a pure Hindu?

Thread Information