Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post vegetarian dish pics here!!

Post vegetarian dish pics here!!

As a Vaishnava, I try to only eat food that is offerable to the Lord; that is, food that is sattvic, without meat, fish or eggs, and as much as possible, without onions or garlic.

Post your favourite vegetarian dishes in the form of pictures here!

Kachoris! Deep fried pastry balls filled with lentils and other nummy treats!

Last edited by Harinama; 12 May 2011 at 09:47 AM.

"Only by providence have I been forcibly brought under Your lotus feet and deprived of all my opulence. Because of the illusion created by temporary opulence, people in general, who live under material conditions, facing accidental death at every moment, do not understand that this life is temporary. Only by providence have I been saved from that condition."

-- Bali Maharaja

Re: Post vegetarian dish pics here!!

Empanadas with beans and cheese!

"Only by providence have I been forcibly brought under Your lotus feet and deprived of all my opulence. Because of the illusion created by temporary opulence, people in general, who live under material conditions, facing accidental death at every moment, do not understand that this life is temporary. Only by providence have I been saved from that condition."

-- Bali Maharaja

3. Re: Post vegetarian dish pics here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harinama View Post
    Empanadas with beans and cheese!

This is Gujiya.

One thing is that cheese originally is not vegetarian, only new kind of cheese made in India are vegetarian as another type of paneer.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Namasté, fellow hungry people,

Mmmm, food pictures, right up my alley!

Everyone, meet my favourite sweets. Here, we have kalakand, which I think must be Hindi for yummy.

Muahahaha. Diet? What diet? Oh, you can start that tomorrow.

Don't be fooled by its innocent appearance, or its simple ingredients; in a single pot, curds, milk, and sugar are somehow transformed into pure evil. Pure rich, delicious, mouth-watering, chewy evil. There is nothing else that tastes quite so rich.

...or is there?

Cook kalakand down longer, let it get darker, more condensed, and still richer and sweeter, and you get its even more addictive cousin: Milk Cake.

New SUPER kalakand! Warning: Not sattvic if you eat the whole plate.

I cook kalakand once a month, and it's funny how the people around me have started to keep track of moon phases. I'm starting to suspect that they care far less about the white orb in the sky and far more about the white sweets on the plate. :P

Kalakand also gets bonus points because it comes out of a smoking, hissing, rumbly pot that spits burning drops of milk at you and makes deep thundery noises as the sweet cooks down. It feels like you're doing something really epic, but actually isn't that hard to make.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    This is Gujiya.

One thing is that cheese originally is not vegetarian, only new kind of cheese made in India are vegetarian as another type of paneer.
    Yes, generally cheese has rennet. But most organic cheeses have vegetarian rennet, you'll have to read the ingredients.

Vannakkam: Dosa, anyone?

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...1t:429,r:2,s:0

Aum Namasivaya

That is one heck of a dosa. I wonder if it tastes very good or if it's just six feet of mediocrity...
    I'd want to eat it with the people in the picture, anyway, because they look like they're having fun.

But give me idlis any day. And then more idlis. And more idlis after that. And anyone who doesn't like idlis, I'll eat your share.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    This is Gujiya.

There are alot of cheeses without rennet in the market.

And there is also quark cheese, labneh, farmer's cheese, curd cheese, etc. that is also vegetarian, without the use of some hardening agent.

Empanadas is something my grandmother used to make, except with meat and with eggs in the pastry dough. It is originally a Spanish dish, found in the Philippines and in places in Latin America (although I am sure that other forms of filled pastries are found all over the world), and it is a savoury (I looked up gujiya, and that is a sweet).

I use flour, water, salt, and some vegetable shortening as my base (although my grandmother would also add egg and baking powder and a pinch of baking soda). Then, I fill it with my filling, flute the edges with my hands, and then fry them.

I love dosas and idlis... YUM!!

How about some Filipino fruit salad?

Coconut shavings, canned fruit and coconut gellies (made of agar-agar), all submerged in a thickened cream...

-- Bali Maharaja

How about a taste of Mexican horchata?

A malted sweet rice drink with cinnamon and other spices. So refreshing, delicious, and a real treat! As we don't get Tex-Mex restaurants (and they don't have this native Mexican drink) or Latino restaurants here as much as in the United States, I still crave this once in a blue moon!

-- Bali Maharaja

Many Mexican workers came into New Orleans to help rebuild after Hurricane Katrina, and with them came a lot of delicious food; I tasted horchata for the first time a few years ago, and it's astonishingly cooling, so light and refreshing! The market here sells a bottled mix, but it's just not the same.

Filipino fruit salad is good. Puto maya is even better!

Oh, look, it's more pale geometric food that Indraneela likes!

Steamy-coconutty and delicious! My best friend's mother - who is from the Phillippines - used to make them often, and would sometimes tint them pink and blue and yellow for special occasions. That and her pancit were her two best dishes - though the latter is not ideal for posting in a vegetarian topic...

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Thread Information