Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mental disorders and karma

Mental disorders and karma

Hi I know some people that have schizophrenia, deperesion and anxiety disorder. Is this becouse of Karma? Or is it just genetics and other medical factors? Or a combination?

Thanks for any ideas.

Re: Mental disorders and karma

Vannakkam Rudy: It's all karma.

But here in the west, there is a misinterpretation lurking. Karma is always a force that can propel, provided the right attitude is put towards it. Most mature and Hindu thinking Hindus see it as an opportunity to work it out, a blessing from God to aid in furtherment along the path to moksha.

The misinterpretation says, (whines) "Oh, poor poor me, I'm so burdened by all this karma, whatever will I do. Everytime I act, I experience more bad karma, so I might as well stay home crawled under my bed in a fetal position." This is not a mature attitude.

The mature attitude realises it for what it is, and trudges on. We cannot change the karma from the past. It's there. What's done is done. What we can do is behave according to dharma today, in the moment, and create less of the tougher stuff from here on out.

Best wishes on it.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Hi I know some people that have schizophrenia, deperesion and anxiety disorder. Is this becouse of Karma? Or is it just genetics and other medical factors? Or a combination?

Thanks for any ideas.
    Everything you experience is Karma Including your Efforts to overcome the ill effects of "Bad Karma".

EM: If only we all could see it clearly enough to work through it and do better for another time.

Karma happens, it is what it is I guess

Vannakkam Rudy:

So true. Just like a lot of other disciplines, its always easier said than done. Personally, I believe God rewards all efforts. If we make realistic goals, and set them firmly in mind, 'success' comes easier.

Aum Namasivaya

Hello, I'm gonna offer my beliefs that are founded in Jungian psychology and somewhat in homeopathy, specially regarding the mental illlness. All symptoms of the body and the mind are actually a way of alerting the ego that something is wrong, just like our body sends the brain pain signals when something is wrong. In Jungian psychology, a field deeply inspired by eastern practices, dreams, synchronicities, creativity and symptoms (both physical and mental) are understood as ways the self finds to send messages to the ego. So the proper attitude would be to accept everything, rational, non-rational, dreams, ideas, feelings, accept all internal elements as a way of curing ourselves.

Hindu metaphysics don't see a complete separation of body and mind, they are actually different stages of manifestation of the same tattva, science sees something similar today as well, specially in psychosomatics.

Symptoms are symbolic expressions, that in violent manner, violate, invade and reveal a neurotic process between the Ego and the unconscious and point both to cure and morbidity.
    Several important personalities in history suffered from what could be considered mental illnesses today. Fortunately, to mankind's greater good, these symptoms weren't forcefully shut down chemically, but instead they were dealt with and a great insight came out of those grave symptoms.

Depression is said to be derived from the decline of sacredness. It comes from the lack of purpose, lack the significance of life.

Most cases labeled as schizophrenia AREN'T schizophrenia at all, but instead very confuse psychosis, and since in this modern world, no one wants or has time to deal with the problems properly, a convenient chemical solution is available. So we're in fact denying several people the help to deal with their serious problems and depriving them and society of great insights.

I myself suffered greatly from social anxiety when I was younger, but I never wanted to take chemicals for it. I denied, I wanted to control my own brain, I didn't want my brain to have me, therefore, I didn't just manage to overcome, but above all, I UNDERSTOOD what it meant. I was shutting my true voice, thinking that I should adapt to society extroverted rituals, when I should just let go of it and follow my own introvertion. I didn't need that!

I even posted about this some time back in this thread (The importance of the natural flow) and recommended some books:

So we can see taking chemicals as a way of running from karma, intoxicating, numbing symptoms down and not dealing with what is causing the symptoms. And, on the other hand, dealing with them with courage and dignity would be our dharma.

Notice that some cases where schizophrenia is really present, medications may be necessary, defining it is hard though, specially with today's medical standards and the mentality I mentioned above. If one is suffering to a great extent, perhaps medication should be necessary, however, if you have the ability to meditate and conclude that it wouldn't be the most noble decision to take, by all means face what life has brought to you.

Pietro: I'd say that people should take meds to take there anxiety/deperesion/other down to a level where they can deal with it. Not drown it out. But saying that most people don't have the sheer will power to deal with it on there own.

By the way good job with dealing with the social anxiety it's tough

Its funny how we in the west perceive our most basic bodily functions, as we have been told that we should. We have become so far removed from Prakti by Maya that we now thicken and perpetuate our own delusions to the point of ingesting chemicals. The classic cure for anxiety is alcohol.

Who ever said that anxiety was bad? In my eyes it is the first sign of one awakening spiritualy, It shows sensitivity and the tell tail signs of the perception and empathy necessary that may lead one to a spiritual path.
    The manipura chakra is the source of great wisdom once balanced, first we must know that it is there!

Iain,

I have Schizophrenia and it's a very tough disease to live with.. But I must admit my spiritual journey would never had gotten started without it.

10. Re: Mental disorders and karma

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    I have Schizophrenia and it's a very tough disease to live with.. But I must admit my spiritual journey would never had gotten started without it.
    I am so sorry to hear of your plight, I have been tared in the past with the label Bi-polar. Inferred knowledge which I have since managed to shed, despite the power ans size of the vrittis that knowledge created.

How do you fare with the three Gunas?
    Are you able to observer the changes within your Chitta as you shift through the Gunas?
    Do you see how your Chitta magnifies the effect of disturbances around you?

God be with you on your path!

Aum Shanti.

Iain

Thread Information