Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can one pray to Shiva?

How can one pray to Shiva?

Namaste!

I would like to get great insights and pieces of advice, experiences in connection with praying to Shiva.

I know there are mantras such as Om Nama Shyvaya etc. But can one pray to Shiva with his/her own words as if he/she speaks to a friend, giving thanks, asking for guidance etc.?

Re: How can one pray to Shiva?

Anyone out there with insights on this topic?

I can offer you two different streams of thought for and against using a mother tongue.

It is often suggested that many stotram were carefully crafted over the year for a specific tempo, syllable count and breathing rhythm. Using a translation rather than the original obviously would not have any similarity to the original.

On the other hand, on both a pseudo-psychic approach as well as a knowledge approach, translating some words to the mother tongue will issue emotions not present when using the original language.

It is probably easier to overcome the language barrier by associating words with feelings than it is to get a foreign tongue to match the rhythm and syllables of the original.

I can't tell you which is "better."

Some chants do not translate very well - for example, the mahamantra and "om mani padme hum."

If you are asking outside of the concept of trying to translate prayers - then yes, by all means, I think it is completely acceptable and better to use your mother tongue to pray and praise.

namaste adevotee.

Praying only to Shiva?
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...2&postcount=21

Quote Originally Posted by adevotee108 View Post
    Namaste!

I would like to get great insights and pieces of advice, experiences in connection with praying to Shiva.

I know there are mantras such as Om Nama Shyvaya etc. But can one pray to Shiva with his/her own words as if he/she speaks to a friend, giving thanks, asking for guidance etc.?
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by adevotee108 View Post
    Anyone out there with insights on this topic?
    Vannakkam adevotee108: At a lot of powerful temples, the correct word wouldn't be prayer. Its more like receiving blessings. Often the devotee gets so 'blissed out' in the situation and energy of the temple it is hard to even formulate words. Such is the power of a great Siva temple.

All the simple prayers like "Please Bless me," are already done. Those type are just a given. Once a mind turns towards Siva, that just happens. Its His nature.

As far as specific prayers go, its best to pray in one's own language so there is nothing lost in translation. Of course Siva will understands as he is All; and in All, and that would include all languages. Its also best top pray very specifically. Include things like dates, times places, for example if you are praying for success on an example.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam adevotee108

mere act off going to the temple, prostrating in front off the deities, bringing gift, offering,serving these are all form off prayers. in this age off Kali the best form off worship is said to be chanting off Holy names, here you do not require any translations but off course when it comes to communication it is best done in our own mother tongue.

official puja and yagna, are done by the priest in Sanskrit, the language off the Devas, that should not stop us praying in our own tongue.

when i go to the temple i remain silent, in the knowledge that he, the Antaryami, knows my desires. why ask when i know he fulfills our desires.

Just chant that's what i do.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Last edited by Ganeshprasad; 17 May 2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam adevotee108

when i go to the temple i remain silent, in the knowledge that he, the Antaryami, knows my desires. why ask when i know he fulfills our desires.
    The greatest prayer.... that of perfect silence.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

If I may, just stretch this conversation a bit more... If we talk of praying to śiva (maheśva), what then of knowing Him personally?

Let's look to a very important book that is found in kaśmir śaivism , authored by abhinavagupta-ji. It is called paramārthasāra - the meaning (artha) or essence (sāra) of the supreme truth (parama).

If we look to the 82nd śloka, it offers the following. I will give my translation. Any blemishes in the translation are surely mine and look to stand corrected.

vyāpinam abhuhitam itthaṁ
    sarvātmānaṁ vidhūta-nānātvam |

nirupama-paramānandaṁ
    ya vetti sa tan-mayo bhavati ||

Thus, one harnessed to that all pervading Self, brahman ( as it were) who has discarded (or shaken off) duality (nānātvam), that of unequalled pure happiness, becomes absorbed ( or identical with) with Him (sa - śiva).

This simply says the one possessed and the knower of one's own Self, one's essence (sāra) becomes identical ( tanmaya) with Him.
    This then must be the greatest prayer - no difference between sender and receiver of the prayer.

The defintions of each word for those who take interest...
    • vyāpin - reaching through , pervading , covering , diffusive , comprehensive , spreading everywhere ; 'pervader' or a name of viṣṇu
    • abhuhitam - harnessed or put to
    • itthaṁ - thus, in this manner
    • sarvātmānaṁ = sarva + ātmā+naṁ
      • sarva=sarvam =whole , entire ;
      • ātma = ātman = one's own Self which is none
        other then the highest personal principle of life , brahman
      • naṁ - this can simply be the nasal sound ṅ , yet 'na' can be used here as 'as it were' and can also mean 'identical'
    • vidhūta - shaken off , dispelled , removed , discarded , abandoned , relinquished
    • nānātvam - difference , variety , manifoldness
    • nirupama - peerless , unequalled , incomparable
    • paramānandaṁ = parama +ānanda : paramā = chief , highest + ānanda = pure happiness,
      another name of śiva
    • yo = ya = joining
    • vetti = va ( vā )+ it+ti it = going towards + ti = iti= thus
    • sa = śiva , yet means too bestowing,
    • tanmayo ( tanmaya) = made up of , that , absorbed in or identical with that
    • bhavati = bhavā = becoming , being , existing + ti = iti = thus
    praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 18 May 2011 at 12:01 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

If I may, just stretch this conversation a bit more... If we talk of praying to śiva (maheśva), what then of knowing Him personally?

praṇām
    now that would be my fortune, if only i was that lucky.

Knowing him would take different shape according to what we study and pray.

Shiva Mahapuran gives us the glimpse, guess what i am trying to say is, it is impossible for the finite to know the infinite in totality.

This is what the Devas saw when they approached Kailash

SB.4.6.34: Lord Shiva sat there, surrounded by saintly persons like Kuvera, the master of the Guhyakas, and the four Kumāras, who were already liberated souls. Lord Shiva was grave and saintly.

SB.4.6.35: The Devas saw Lord Shiva situated in his perfection as the master of the senses, knowledge, fruitive activities and the path of achieving perfection. He was the friend of the entire world, and by virtue of his full affection for everyone, he was very auspicious.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Last edited by Ganeshprasad; 18 May 2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast ganeshprasad,

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    guess what i am trying to say is, it is impossible for the finite to know the infinite in totality.
    Yes I see what you say. The pickle you offer is in the word ~knowing~. Knowing infers a subject and an object to be known. If there is two then the fullness of śiva (maheśva) is missed and a partial experience is had. Yet when there is no two , then the knower and known are one and the same. Knowing no longer takes place and Being , Pure Being then resides.

It is quite profound on how the wise offer this for our comprehension.
    We can leave this for another time.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information