Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeling, I am confused?

Feeling, I am confused?

I read somewhere were someone asks a question about I think it was the Bhagavad Gita, or Upanishads about purifying your self. And it was answered that in order to purify yourself you had to go into the feeling of the body. I know that this is true in many ways. I am just starting my Kum Nye practice that I like doing. It's about going into feeling. I guess my question is is.

1. Isn't the body outward and the unmanifest and Atman inside?

2. So going outside would cause pain and suffering right?

3 How is it that even the feeling of the body that is outside will draw that Atman to higher levels of being that are on the inside?

On the other hand I heard that if someone merges into the unmanifest or wu chi that there spirit had to go into the body. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks much.

Re: Feeling, I am confused?

Or is there two kinds of feeling? One that is inside and one that is outside.

Fist of all I am very surprised that no one answered this question yet. I think so many spiritual people are out of touch with feeling and yet it's the most fundamental aspects to all spiritual growth. That is feeling.

I think I found something that kind of answers my question. I read in "The Joy Of Being" By Tarthang Tulku.

Page. 73
    Tuning Our Physical Senses.
    Relax and Heal
    Kum Nye is a way to relax and heal the gates of the senses, so that they also open inward, transmitting the full richness of experience and bringing more pleasure and joy into our lives. Kum Nye enables us to relax deeply and to be fully within the flow of sensory experience. When we do this , the senses soften their focus on externals and reveal what is before us in greater clarity and depth. A sense of intimacy develops that eases our restlessness and satisfies our hunger for meaning. If we take the opportunity to nourish the senses with love and appreciation, they will reward us with a continual flow of blessings that deepen into a reliable source of contentment and meaning.

Kum Nye has been an in valuable resource to me that I hope will come to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralProjectee View Post
    I read somewhere were someone asks a question about I think it was the Bhagavad Gita, or Upanishads about purifying your self. And it was answered that in order to purify yourself you had to go into the feeling of the body. I know that this is true in many ways. I am just starting my Kum Nye practice that I like doing. It's about going into feeling. I guess my question is is.

3 How is it that even the feeling of the body that is outside will draw that Atman to higher levels of being that are on the inside?

On the other hand I heard that if someone merges into the unmanifest or wu chi that there spirit had to go into the body. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks much.

Namasté
    I am not familiar with Kum Nye or Wu Chi, so my position may be quite different.

Generally, purification of Self implies that something is removed, that which is removed is the saṃskāra accumulated via sense data. It wouldn't imply the world stops, but rather the mind is not so influenced by sensations. It is the senses, including touch and sight, which normally steer us and "shackle" us by desire arising in our mind to avoid or increase pain or sensual pleasure. The desire to avoid pain also begins with identification with the senses.

1) The body is the vehicle of the senses, so yes, the body is outward in the way it is known to us. The senses look outward to the material world. That Atman or Self felt as being inner initially. When the two are known as One then we can call it Advaita or nondualism.

2) The more we feel separate from the world the more we feel the world acting on us. The world acts on us through our senses. So yes, increased suffering. The Gita explains this well, Chapter 2:

Dwelling on objects of senses
    Engenders attachment to them;
    From attachment desire is born;
    And from desire, anger is born. 62

From anger arises delusion;
    From delusion, loss of memory;
    From loss of memory, destruction
    Of intelligence: All is lost. 63

3) Through discriminating of what the Atman isn't we can come to know it(Atman) through what it is not. So the more we recognise that the transient material world changes around us, through our body and senses, then the Atman (Consciousness) becomes more salient.

Thanks much.
    Is there a right or wrong? Who would know?

In my travels, I thought of it like this:
    Knowledge, will and existence is the Self.
    The Self observes the intellect.
    The intellect observes and steers the mind.
    The mind controls the body.
    The senses and emotion captivate the body away from the mind.

I do not believe in "purifying the Self" as it is already perfect. Instead, you purify the mind to avoid seeing the ego. Unresolved emotional stress/karma creates "knots" in Chi/Self/whathaveyou that will not release the mind until the root of the cause is inspected and resolved internally.

As a tool of the intellect, the mind must be absolved of anything that keeps it captive before the intellect can hope to observe the Self.

That's my understanding, anyway.

Most of that comes from somewhere between Buddhism and Advaita.

At first glance there it looks like there is some kind of discrepancy between Kum Nye and Gita. This can't be though. I know Kum Nye can bring people into the most spiritual states imaginable.

It seems to me by reading both about Kum Nye and Gita that feeling of the physical body if pointed out wards can cause bad things but drawing that feeling inside will bring on spiritual states. Clearly that is the way it is. Anyone else.

Please do not judge Kum Nye without fully learning about it first.

Vannakkam AstralProjectee: What do you mean by purity?

To me it means being almost child-like in behaviour and attitude.

Practising ahimsa, eating pure food, staying celibate or loyal within a marriage.. all these things probably more. But I think it would be helpful to know of your definitions before contributing more.

Aum namasivaya

By purity I guess I mean not having attachments not being bound to all the emotional baggage of ones past or present.

The idea of using Kum Nye or feeling to get into more higher spiritual states is not new. Taoist have used chi to draw one into Wu Chi or Brahman for instance or higher spiritual states.

People have known for a long time that inner sound current can draw one in higher and higher to more advanced levels. The same goes with feeling. On a fundamental level sound and feeling are the same.

By purity I guess I mean not having attachments not being bound to all the emotional baggage of ones past or present.
    Vannakkam Astral: Thanks for that. Now we will think about it for awhile. I do think attachment has been discussed at length on here, but I am never able to find things on this place.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information