Thread: yogacūḍāmaṇi

yogacūḍāmaṇi

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Many here ( at HDF) practice or aspire to practice some form of yoga. To which, one of the most recognized śāstra on the matter is patañjali’s yogadarśana (the yoga sūtra-s of patañjali). Yet there is a upaniṣad that is connected to sāma-ved called yogacūḍāmaṇi upaniṣad. You may see it written yogacūḍāmaṇyupaniṣad. It is not an introductory-like doctrine.
    • yogacūḍāmaṇi = yoga + cūḍāmaṇi
      • yoga योग = the act of yoking , joining , attaching ; yoga also means a way , manner , method
      • cūḍāmaṇi चूडामणि = gem or jewel
    Hence this upaniṣad talks of the gem or jewel ( most valuable) method of yoga. It is made up of 120 śloka-s and IMHO worth considering in one's library.
    Perhaps a few choice ideas can be offered here.
    praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: yogacūḍāmaṇi

I like the idea of yogacudamani ---- where can I find the slokas?

Thank you
    Iksvakave

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Many here ( at HDF) practice or aspire to practice some form of yoga. To which, one of the most recognized śāstra on the matter is patañjali’s yogadarśana (the yoga sūtra-s of patañjali). Yet there is a upaniṣad that is connected to sāma-ved called yogacūḍāmaṇi upaniṣad. You may see it written yogacūḍāmaṇyupaniṣad. It is not an introductory-like doctrine.
    • yogacūḍāmaṇi = yoga + cūḍāmaṇi
      • yoga योग = the act of yoking , joining , attaching ; yoga also means a way , manner , method
      • cūḍāmaṇi चूडामणि = gem or jewel
    Hence this upaniṣad talks of the gem or jewel ( most valuable) method of yoga. It is made up of 120 śloka-s and IMHO worth considering in one's library.
    Perhaps a few choice ideas can be offered here.
    praṇām

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by iksvakave View Post
    where can I find the slokas?
    Thank you Iksvakave
    I myself have a book on various upaniṣads. It is not the best offer I can recommend.
    Here is one site: http://www.printsasia.com/book/Yoga-...-9788186336274 the you may wish to consider.

Also doing a google search on ' Yoga Chudamani Upanishad ' will also assist you.

praṇām

yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

It is interesting to note that the yoga sūtra-s of patañjali call out 8 limbs¹ to yoga. If we look to the śānḍilya upaniṣad (named after the ṛṣi asking questions to atharvan&#185 as he says, please tell me about the eight aṅga-s (parts) of yoga which is the means of attaining to ātman.

So, aṣṭāṅga is established. Yet as we read the 2nd śloka of the yogacūḍāmaṇi upaniṣad, it calls out the yoga being stated with 6 (ṣaḍ-aṅga) parts. First one must ask what limbs are missing?

What two are not suggested in the yogacūḍāmaṇi upaniṣad ? They are yama and niyama.

Now my question to the esteemed HDF reader? What could be the rationale for these 2 most noble limbs not being on the list?

praṇām
    words
    Last edited by yajvan; 22 May 2011 at 11:27 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Namasté, Yajvan,

You wrote in your first post that the yogacūḍāmaṇi upaniṣad is not an introductory-level guide. Could it be that the two "missing" limbs are the "prerequisites" - that the reader is expected to be well along the path of yama and niyama before even addressing this text?

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté Indraneela,

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    Namasté, Yajvan,

You wrote in your first post that the yogacūḍāmaṇi upaniṣad is not an introductory-level guide. Could it be that the two "missing" limbs are the "prerequisites" - that the reader is expected to be well along the path of yama and niyama before even addressing this text?

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
    Yes, what you offer is spot-on. The very 1st śloka informs us that the yogacūḍāmaṇyupaniṣad is for the interest of the yogi. That is, not starting at square one. Yama and niyama for the aspirant (yogi) is a work-in-process. Hence the upaniṣad therefore focuses on the remaining 6 limbs.

That said , it also surpasses the 6 limbs and talks of other components for the yogi's consideration. We will review a few of these in a future post.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 22 May 2011 at 10:59 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Thread Information