Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overcoming specific senses

Re: Overcoming specific senses

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

exercise is good and can bring balance. Regarding rage - look to your diet. Excessive caffeine and other stimulants contribute to active mind and to rago-guna.

praṇām
    Maybe I should drink less green tea? I do not drink anything else but water. Sometimes I'll have a pop for a treat every once in a while.

Thank you for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    Namaskar Arjunah,

I do not think I can give you advice but though in my opinion,

Add to your daily routine, Japa ( Chanting). We Hindus go to temple, do prayers at home but add Japa to your daily routine - morning and evening. This will bring peace to your mind. And do not pay attention to sexual urges, and anger. This happens to everyone but need to be under control. When you add Satva element, it brings Satva to your thinking. You will be able to bring under control your rage and other senses will also be root out. It will for sure will take time. Do Japa with proper Nistha - Devotion. Please use Japa mala in beginning, you may have difficulty in the beginning but do not quit.
    What is Japa mala? I typed that term into a search engine. I am not familiar. Please elaborate if you don't mind.

Namaste arjunah,

Japa Mala is a string of beads to count mantra. It has 108 beads. Here is link for that. http://www.yogabasics.com/japamalabe...ds/full-malas/

Use full mala of 108 beads for japa mantra ( chanting). I prefer Sandalwood, Rudraksha, or Rosewood mala.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Thank you for the link, AmIHindu

They seem quite expensive. Is there a way I could make my own?

I am going to read through this:

http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/sadh/sadh_01.html

I didn't even know what sadhana meant before I found that text. I guess that will make my reading around here a little bit more beneficial

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by arjunah View Post
    Maybe I should drink less green tea? I do not drink anything else but water. Sometimes I'll have a pop for a treat every once in a while.
    I do not know your body type... yet we do know that aggravated pitta will increase anger that may lead to rage.
    So, what aggravates a pitta constitution ?

Knowing your body type would be good.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I do not know your body type... yet we do know that aggravated pitta will increase anger that may lead to rage.
    So, what aggravates a pitta constitution ?

Knowing your body type would be good.

praṇām

This is very interesting. I would say Pitta best describes the body I have control of, but also a little bit of Vata (fear, anxiety). Thank you so much for this link.

Namaste arjunah,

Thank you for the link, AmIHindu

They seem quite expensive. Is there a way I could make my own?

I am going to read through this:

http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/sadh/sadh_01.html

I didn't even know what sadhana meant before I found that text. I guess that will make my reading around here a little bit more beneficial
    Oh Its my mistake, forgive me for that. I gave you link just to show you the japa mala looks like, you do not have to buy from the same source. You can buy Japa mala from any Indian store in your town or you can buy from temple also. check with your local temples.

Link given by you is good but in my opinion it better you start with simple nam japa. If you get a chance start reading Ramayan, Mahabharat and Bhagwat Gita will help you to get devotion.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    Namaste arjunah,

Oh Its my mistake, forgive me for that. I gave you link just to show you the japa mala looks like, you do not have to buy from the same source. You can buy Japa mala from any Indian store in your town or you can buy from temple also. check with your local temples.

Link given by you is good but in my opinion it better you start with simple nam japa. If you get a chance start reading Ramayan, Mahabharat and Bhagwat Gita will help you to get devotion.
    I will not forgive as there is nothing to be forgiven!

I don't think there are Indian stores in my town. The closest temples are about an hour away. I see there are some cheaper ones on there as I looked around more. I just looked at one and saw $90.00 and my mouth dropped

I will check out on the web when I am ready to make a purchase. Thank you again.

Hari Om!

Although you may not aspire to Brahmacharya (though you may), the mini book "The Secret of Eternal Youth" by HDH Sant Sri Asaramji Bapu has been especially helpful to me in overcoming lust. It can be found at the following link.

http://hariomgroup.net/hariombooks/s...ernalYouth.htm

Also, have you considered Moola Bandha and Tribandha Pranayama?

All the best in your ventures.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

Although you may not aspire to Brahmacharya (though you may), the mini book "The Secret of Eternal Youth" by HDH Sant Sri Asaramji Bapu has been especially helpful to me in overcoming lust. It can be found at the following link.

http://hariomgroup.net/hariombooks/s...ernalYouth.htm

Also, have you considered Moola Bandha and Tribandha Pranayama?

All the best in your ventures.

Om Namah Sivaya!
    Thank you for this. It is definitely something I will read in detail. I was browsing it over after dinner.

When I do my daily stretches (takes me about an hour), I have been concentrating on following my breath coming into my nostrils and all the way down into my root chakra where Ganesha is working hard to help me.

I do 20 Kumbhaka's 4 times a day. Alternating holding both nostrils. While I do this I usually concentrate on the bridge of my nose as I want to clear away all things that are impeding the air coming into my body. I compare these blockages to things I want in life and do not require.

Thread Information