Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrying an idol of Shiva in pocket?

Re: Carrying an idol of Shiva in pocket?

I was just thinking about this today.

I wear a pendant with an enamled image of Mahalakshmi, on a silver chain. I am also going to make wallet size copies of the pictures in my shrine and carry them with me. I would like to keep one in my truck also. I think pictures are more practical than even a tiny idol.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste SS,

I personally carry pictures of Lord Krishna and Lord Ganesha in my wallet. I also wear a necklace with an Aum pendant. Wearing rudraksha sounds like a better devotion to Lord Shiva, rather than carrying a small murti which can get easily damaged or lost.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Hehe for some reason i find the fish tank thing a little funny, but not in a bad way..

I was thinking of just having it as a reminder. Sort of like the mala. I have decided to devote myself to the mystic law of Shiva and Ganesha. I want to try to silently chant Om Namah Sivaya over 50,000 times. It will be difficult for me. But I want reminders so i can stay in a constant act of devotion and chant the sacred mantra that can liberate one from samsara. Om Namah Sivaya
    Well the sanctioned "idol" for Lord Shiva is the Shivalinga. In fact, as I recall it, other forms of Shiva are proscribed for worship. Of course these points may not be relevant for "remembrance" rather than worship but from a bhakti point of view (where I am coming from) remembrance is a a manasik form of worship anyway.

Have you considered hand mudras for either Shiva or Ganesha remembrance?

4. Re: Carrying an idol of Shiva in pocket?

I wear a mangalsutra (sacred marriage thread) that has Shiva Lingam (representing Lord Shiva) and Thiruman Sangu Chakram (representing Lord Vishnu is) on it. Shiva Lingam is from husband side and Sangu chakram from my family's side.This is our family tradition. It looks similar to this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3058/...273e88e175.jpg except it is in a gold chain. I also wear gold necklaces of Sri Lakshmi, Sri Krishna and sometimes wear a bracelet that says "Om Nama Shivaya" in Sanskrit. In India, women don't hesitate to wear more than one necklace.

You can take a similar approach and wear a gold Shiva Lingam pendant in gold chain.

Namast,

This morning, I learned about a type of Śiva linga that may be carried with the devotee:

http://www.hindu-blog.com/2012/03/bana-linga-shivling-with-striations.html

And very beautiful besides! I hope the write-up helps the OP, and any others seeking the same answer, as well.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste,
    I would opt for the Krishnaculture site. You can get a 108-bed mala for $7. Minimela is $25... an unnecessary expenditure, especially for a Shiva bhakta who may well be walking a path toward renunciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Arav View Post
    I like the rudraksha idea, I subscribe to the practice. Instead of walking around with a little miniature of Shiva, or an image of Him in my wallet, I just wear Rudraksha beads around my neck. They arent that expensive. You can buy some from Minimela, Krishnaculture, and other websites!

Carrying liontin (with pic ) and sanskrit mantra or name of Deitys

when i go everywhere (maybe hotel) i can use it for simple puja
    with a simple offerings, short dhoopa, candy, one fruit, snack, mineral water, or even one flower, anythings we can offer
    everywhere, anytime, before we eat, we also can offer it to God , no need long time, only need a few second then God will receive it

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Thread Information