Namaste

Visit a Kung Fu San Soo kwoon if you get a chance, they focus on combat only. Also the Israelis have a martial art which does the same thing.

Aum Shanti

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
Boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, greco-roman wrestling and mma are not really martial arts, but sports. These sports are great for in the ring, but have a lot of flaws when used in real combat. Tai Chi is not effective at all in a street situation, it's more a form of meditation. Kung Fu and Taekwando are all flashy moves, great for fight choreography in movies. Capoeira is more a form dance, not a real martial art either. The best (non weapon) martial arts that are taught in the west are, traditional Japanese Jujitsu and Muay Thai. If you are serious about doing "martial arts" and not just something for sports, meditation, fitness, these are the ones you should look at.

I have practiced different martial arts the past few years, I have not commited myself to any so far. If I look at the martial arts from India, I wish they were taught in the west. They are far superior than the nonsense that is taught in many dojos. Indian martial artists have superior strength and agility, for example look at the mallakamba used by the Indian wrestlers or at the people practicing kalari payattu.