Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Meat eating bad karma?

Meat eating bad karma?

I was wondering is eating meat bad karma? What about eggs? I currently eat meat.

Thought I should know.

Re: Meat eating bad karma?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I was wondering is eating meat bad karma? What about eggs? I currently eat meat.

Thought I should know.
    Vannakkam Rudy: Lets put it this way ... if I thought it was good karma, I'd be going out tonight to gorge at the local steakhouse. I suggest you browse the huge vegetarian discussion here on HDF.

So, yes its karma. All action is karma.

Aum Namasivaya

Putting meat into your mouth is not bad Karma. Especially if one needs to do it to survive. But few "need" meat to survive in modern times. The karma which arises is because we condone an industry based on the exploitation of a species which causes, environmental, health, and genetic destruction to both the species which one eats, and the species which consumes.

As for eggs, I try to convince myself it's alright because I'm eating the natural byproduct of chickens and there is no potential for life one that menstrual egg is layed.

But, the meat companies as I stated before pump the chickens full of hormones to increase production, which karmically interweaves both the chicken and the human pumping them with hormones and the human eating the egg.

I'm not one to say which is a "better" act to do. Eat meat or eggs, but all I can say is that each produces its own set of karmic arisings. Some of which can definitely be prevented by purchasing "free range" products.

Vannakkam: Each entitled to their opinion. In my opinion, meat eating is karma that takes one away from the goal.

in a quick search, I found this nice new pro - vegetarian site. 30 good reasons.. see #21. http://www.the-green-diva.com/2010/0...t-to-eat-meat/

Again, its just my opinion.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam all

Everything we do has Karma implications, karma is off three type Satvik, Rajsik and tamasik, similarly food we eat, are off three modes.
    We have to decide for our selves, guided by Shastra preferably, what type of food we are eating.
    Meat can not be obtained without causing pain and suffering, Ahimsa is universal tenant in Hindu Dharma, don’t let us fool ourselves , eating meat is Tamsik, exceptional circumstances not with standing. I hope people stop sitting on the fence and tell as is, if asked.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Hello all

Looks like time to put my metaphorical back into being vegitarian. As for eggs I need to work on meat first. As they say I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Hello all

Looks like time to put my metaphorical back into being vegitarian. As for eggs I need to work on meat first. As they say I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    Vannakkam Rudy:

Compared to physical addictions like a prescription drug, or nicotine, getting off meat is relatively easy. There are no severe withdrawal sympoms, as the replacements are just more food. The edginess and craving one has from a nicotine withdrawal can be quite severe. Moreso with alcohol or some prescription meds.

For some people, because of the culture they were brought up in, there is strong psychological attachment. That's the general reason why some people find it tough. For these people, excuses come as easy as rain falls in the rain forest. Kind of hard to outsmart the mind, as it can play games with itself, just to entertain itself I guess.

Psychologically, you can do it over time, as well, just as you are implying. Best wishes in joining the vegetarian crowd.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    For these people, excuses come as easy as rain falls in the rain forest.
    So true!

My meat is from free range animals, so they are not suffering.
    I need my protein.
    Animals produce large amounts of gases which destroy the Ozone layer. So, I am doing something positive for the environment by eating meat.
    I am at the top of the food chain, why should I restrict myself to the food (vegetarian) of lower species?
    Scriptures don't specifically prohibit eating meat.
    I eat lot less of it than before.

And EM, as you said, the list of excuses 'comes out as easy as the rain in a rain forest'.
    -

Speaking of rain falling in the rain forest... I've already been trying to eat meat once a day for a while (and yes thats an improvment over my former eating habits ). Now I shall go up to three times a week. All I can say is it's best for me to go slow. After a few weeks of that I shall see where to go.

Speaking of rain falling in the rain forest... I've already been trying to eat meat once a day for a while (and yes thats an improvment over my former eating habits ). Now I shall go up to three times a week. All I can say is it's best for me to go slow. After a few weeks of that I shall see where to go.
    Vannakkam Rudy: Reminds me of my father, and my first 17 years or so on this planet. Breakfast was bacon and eggs, lunch was usually some kind of leftover from the dinner before, like a cold roast beef sandwich, and then supper/dinner was always based around some meat. So try 21 times a week, maybe more if there was a bedtime snack. Its really amazing, that meat culture. I've seen people at smorgs or pot lucks eat absolutely nothing BUT meat. If we believed what some of the vegetarian sites say about how bad it is, I should be dead now, just from those first 17 or 18 years. Somehow I find it entertaining ... like the guy at Subway in front of you who gets some kind of meatball sub on white bread, and then passes on all the vegetables.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information