Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Meat eating bad karma?

Re: Meat eating bad karma?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post

My meat is from free range animals, so they are not suffering.
    Let me test my understanding... because they are 'free range' animals they do not suffer? Help me understand how this may occur.
    thank you,

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

My personal opinion is that Hindus should all be vegetarians. It's very important to set an example in today's society.

If in something as basic as don't killing poor animals we don't differ from the large part of society, what's the use?

But that's my view that is quite strongly based on setting an example, specially for the receptive westerners.

When I was browsing some Sikh sites I found this quote (not directly related to the subject) from the Guru Granth Sahib, which may be a little too forcefully strong but I think the point is valid:

"You kill living beings, and call it a righteous action. Tell me, brother, what would you call an unrighteous action? If you religious people are doing "religious" killing for meat, then what is A-dharam (atheism)? If you are a religious person then whom will we call a butcher? ||2||"

(Ang 1103)
    Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Animals produce large amounts of gases which destroy the Ozone layer. So, I am doing something positive for the environment by eating meat.
    It would be even better if you didn't eat it, since there would be no need for the animals raised specifically to be killed for meat in the first place. I'm just pointing that this stance is logically flawed.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    My personal opinion is that Hindus should all be vegetarians. It's very important to set an example in today's society.
    I see why you say this... yet the other view is that all that wish to pursue a spiritual life ( devoid of where they live) and if they wish to follow yoga, then meat eating is not conducive to this pursuit.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Pranam Yajvan, PI

i think you might have misread Belivers intent, he is stating i think, the excuses the meat eater come up with.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam Yajvan, PI

i think you might have misread Belivers intent, he is stating i think, the excuses the meat eater come up with. Jai Shree Krishna

Aahha! I see your point (and Believers) and stand corrected...
    thank you for the clarification.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam Yajvan, PI

i think you might have misread Belivers intent, he is stating i think, the excuses the meat eater come up with.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Now I see... I think it lacked some quotation marks and some colons.

My answer is needed though because I've seen people in their right minds using that excuse.

Vannakkam: Aha. Another subtle reminder why we always need to read context, i.e. the whole post, the whole scripture, before we use some tidbit to debate something. We all know how the anti-Hindu forces can do just that to find fault.

Just because I write a book about an adharmic character doesn't mean I am condoning said character's behaviour.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    ....before we use some tidbit to debate something. We all know how the anti-Hindu forces can do just that to find fault.
    There was no 'debate' point offered but a request for clarification done in a respectful manner.

praṇām

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

There was no 'debate' point offered but a request for clarification done in a respectful manner.

praṇām
    Vannakkam Yajvan: Yes, I know. I was just making horizontal transfer of the idea of not reading whole threads, or whole scriptures, and then making erroneous conclusions, much the same as the Blind men and the Elephant poem. When I see it happen to the likes of you, who is consistently clear and thorough, I can imagine the misunderstandings it may bring about in those who aren't as thorough. ... or wise.

Aum namasivaya

Namaste,

I do not think that eating meat is bad karma. I find that there have been people discussed in the vedas that ate meat and became enlightened. Gautama Buddha also ate meat. I find that some people eat a meat diet based on high in protein, and fats, is a very healthy lifestyle. There are also studies that suggest that meat eating helped our evolution. But this is just my humble opinion.

Thread Information