Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Meat eating bad karma?

Re: Meat eating bad karma?

An analytical view on animal suffering for foods: http://www.utilitarian-essays.com/suffering-per-kg.html

Another interesting page: http://www.utilitarian-essays.com/insect-pain.html
    Last edited by Adhvagat; 30 May 2011 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    There are also studies that suggest that meat eating helped our evolution.
    Yes, that's the basis of the Paleo(lithic) or Caveman Diet. Our brains grew, so the scientists say, because we ate a diet high in fat. In fact, one of the first things supposedly consumed (I wasn't there ) was the bone marrow which is primarily fat.

Some people (like me ) can't handle carbs properly (grains, rice, corn, etc.). I have Metabolic Syndrome. The only thing that gets my blood sugar and blood lipids under control, and the fat off me is a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet.

To that end, I can still eschew beef once I set my mind to it and stick with fish, eggs, olive and coconut oils, some root vegs (no carrots... too much sugar), chicken and lamb. I eat pork but you know, I'm not really wild about it. I'm not at all opposed to giving up beef.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Vannakkam:

Many are the lovely flowers of worship offered to the guru, but none lovelier than non-killing. Respect for life is the highest worship, the bright lamp, the sweet garland of unwavering devotion.

Tirumantiram verse 197

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam

Anyone who eats meat has scant regards for Shastra, has no Daya, meat can not be obtained without injury and pain, Ahimsa is one off the main tenants of Dharma, ignore at your own peril.

Cow is worshiped by Hindus as mother, shastra says there are six mothers and cow is one of them.

i pity anyone who indulge in such an act of eating meat, for they have not understood the laws of Karma.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    i pity anyone who indulge in such an act of eating meat, for they have not understood the laws of Karma.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Wow, that's pretty strong and judgmental, pitying millions of otherwise devout and good Hindus who do eat meat, fish or fowl. There are plenty of other things that invoke bad karma too. Does anyone understand them all? Does anyone know what actions override others? Does anyone know what is in someone else's heart? There is only One Who is sinless.

A teacher once said: "Judge not lest you be judged. For how you judge, you too shall be judged". Now that's karma too.

I come from a religious background in which people make judgments on what others do or don't do. It's really not cool. One just has to follow one's own conscience and do the best they can, come what may.
    Last edited by Jainarayan; 08 June 2011 at 06:25 PM.

Vannakkam: In Hinduism, ahimsa is as basic as karma and reincarnation.

I do have my own conspiracy theories on how meat eating has become so prevalent, and most have to do with Islamic and European influence. The Mcauley based British school system forced on India during British Imperialism days extolled the virtues of meat, as well as many other non-Hindu ways. It was himsa in more ways than one. It was also a very divisive ploy ... divide and conquer. We need those Hindus fighting amongst themselves, and if we can turn son against Mother by turning him onto meat, that that's what we should do.

One of the saddest things about the meat devouring Hindus I know is their overwhelming guilt. They can't go to a temple on the days they don't eat meat, and they're incredibly embarrassed if someone like myself happens to drop by their home on some errand. They can't volunteer even. Their own guilt keeps them away. I know many of my Tamil friends partake in flesh, but I very very rarely see them. I don't get invited to barbecues. The guilt drips off their auras just like the grease drips from their jowls. Why guilt? Its because in their hearts they know better!

They are just like the tobacco addict. What smoker doesn't know he should give it up? Very very few. But smoking is different. Its a true addiction. Meat isn't.

Show me a temple where meat is a prasadam.

But, just as I tolerate a child who misbehaves, an abortionist who doesn't know better, an adulterer who slipped in a moment of below the muladhara chakra time, so too do I tolerate the carnivore amongst us.

But respect? the way I respect the priests, and the way I respect the ones who have changed? Nope, respect is different than tolerance.

Sorry for the rant. I happen to take some pride in practising ahimsa to the best of my ability.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    One of the saddest things about the meat devouring Hindus I know is their overwhelming guilt. They can't go to a temple on the days they don't [do?] eat meat ...

Why guilt? Its because in their hearts they know better!
    I don't doubt or dispute that in the least. I do plenty of things I feel guilty for. It's something I have to come to terms with to eliminate from my life. When I've said or done something I shouldn't, I find it hard to look my idols and pictures in the face.

Sorry for the rant. I happen to take some pride in practising ahimsa to the best of my ability.

Aum Namasivaya
    That's my point exactly... "the best of my ability". My goal is to get as close to ahimsa as possible, or as the doctor's creed says in Latin "primum non nocere": "first do no harm".

My co-worker asked me today if I've become vegetarian. I said no, but the thought has crossed my mind for a very long time, even before coming to Sanatana Dharma. It was pretty much for the reason of ahimsa. And I am going to make a concerted effort. He said it's not easy to do, especially overnight.

I apologize too for getting on a soapbox, but again, having come from something very judgmental, I'm a bit sensitive (not personally offended, sensitive) when someone makes a judgment. We know what we should do and shouldn't do. We're on a journey. If we did everything perfectly we wouldn't be here discussing it... we'd have attained moksha.

Vannakkam Minotaur: I honestly give you my best wishes in becoming a vegetarian. The few Tamils I do know who have switched back over really feel like something large has been dropped from their shoulders. You can see it in them. You're right that it may take time. My Guru gave the meat eating people who wanted to joining his organisation a year. After that ... well, I guess you're not that serious about it. But then he was a very strict Guru. Others may not be quite so. Still, I haven't heard of many ashrams or yoga places serving up meat either. Perhaps in India, when they cater to the westerners who haven't taken it on, who bring truckloads of money, that then can be turned into good uses, but I doubt it. I actually don't know.

I do get along well with my Tamil meat eating friends, and usually we just don't discuss the topic, but here ion HDF its another matter. This, by definition, IS a place for discussion.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    He said it's not easy to do, especially overnight.
    Vannakkam: Nor is it that hard. I went cold turkey when I was 19, because my friends were trying it, and since they were smart people in my opinion, I vowed for a month to go off meat ... just to see if I felt different. It was easy. After that we ate fish and eggs on rare occasions for about 2 years. Travelling was especially different as our small town restaurants had very little to offer.

About a month ago, my daughter has a positive diagnosis for Celiac's. (gluten allergy) She has had to give up all wheat products, and anything that may have remnants of wheat. This includes things like beer, ice cream, and ketchup, depending on varieties. The choice ... accellerated poor health resulting in a premature death.

In her research, we discovered that it is genetic. Upon further research I concluded there is a decent likelihood I have it as well, given some of my digestive symptoms. I figure its about 20% chance for me. So for the month of June, (and maybe forever) I'm going gluten free. That means no toast, no bread at all, no cereals, no dougnut snacks, no chapatis or rotis. We went and bought quite a bit of buckwheat, quinoa, and millet. I'm finding it relatively easy.

Many Hindus also fast on occasion, giving up ALL food, not just meat.

So although some may find it hard, some also find it quite easy. Certainly, as I said earlier, adjusting one's diet is far easier than overcoming an addiction like alcohol, or cigarettes, where the physical body withdrawal symptoms can be severe. Drying out from alcohol involves delirium tremors. Nicotine just involves the edginess and cravings.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    That means no toast, no bread at all, no cereals, no dougnut snacks, no chapatis or rotis. We went and bought quite a bit of buckwheat, quinoa, and millet. I'm finding it relatively easy.
    We have been doing this for some time and I think its much healthier ( for us). I know I feel better.
    My family is very conscious of what we eat, so limiting those things have been easy as they are high carbohydrates . So , lots of fruits, vegitables, brown or wild rice, etc.

What is important ( I have found) via this diet choice is you begin to eat to live, not live to eat.

Yet my taste buds still enjoy a pizza now and then.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information