Thread: Jagadguru

Jagadguru

I was under the impression that the title of Jagadguru was generally applied after death but I recently (in January) encountered a follower of a guru called Jagadguru Sri Kripaluji Maharaj. I didn't say anything at the time because I was unsure of how to approach it but I was speaking with devotees at the Mata Chintapurni temple nearby and we got to talking and they mentioned the same thing. The priest there is a devotee of Kripalu so we spoke quietly and I discovered some kindred souls but my main question is this:

Can the title of Jagadguru really be applied to a living person? Shankaracarya changed the landscape of Hinduism forever and the acaryas that followed him changed the landscape as well. Shouldn't this title only be applied to those who have really changed the landscape of Sanatana Dharma in big and wonderful ways?

Re: Jagadguru

Namaste Divine Kala, I stumbled upon your post on the Jagadguru title, ( I recently came back from Melbourne Australia where my son is currently living and went to the new Mata Chintapurni Mandir and met the Pandit ji over there as well).

To answer your question actually Jagadguru Title are given or addressed in 2 ways. One is where the original reciepient of the title like Adi Jagadguru Shankaracharaya 2,500 years back and he was confered the title when He was 22 years of age and he attained Maha samadhi at the age of 32 year of age. So he was alive when he was confered the title of Jagadguru. Jagadguru Madhavacharaya the 2nd one and Jagadguru Ramanujacharaya 3 rd one and Jagadguru Nimbarkacharaya 4th one (750 years ago). They were all confered the title of Jagadguru while they were alive and they had done sarsarth (debate) with the great scollars of Kashi and defeted them to be confered the title. Jagadguru Vallabhacharaya is the only one that was given after he had the debate for 27 days (which is the longest) .

The 2nd way of how the Jagadguru title comes along is when the diciples of the existing Jagadguru take over the Gathi or become the next guru in line then they will have the Jagadguru title followed by their Sanyas name as it is with the existing 4 Jagadguru maths that we have in India.

Generally they ( Original Jagadguru) only become famous and trully well known after they have passed away as we humans dont trully appreciate them when they are alive. When Sant Tulsidas Ji wrote the Ram Charitramanas there were so many people who were against him even attempts to murder him. After Sant Tulsidas Ji passed away we sing the Ram Charitramanas and say what a great book and what a great being he was. Simillarly with many true genuine Saints that have been in India have not been appreciated while they were alive only after thier passing away. Sad to say it is usually the case in any dharma.

If you get a chance to meet the Panditji (Dr Gopal) at Chintapurni Mandir again speak to him as he is a wealth of knowladge. We invited him to my sons place to perfom a small puja and kirtan and the vibrations that he left behind was so powerful (and his pravachan was equally strong and deep) as it is the same vibration of true genuine power and divinity that I experienced at the Mata chintapurni Mandir when I visited the place in Melbourne recently.

I hope it will explain why living Jagadguru's like Swami Kripalu Maharaj when they choose and train his devotees they emminate that kind of life changing vibration of divinity. Since I came back everyday we, back in India listen to Jagadguru Kripalu Ji Maharaj's pravachan on Aaj Tak Channel and we are also planing to visit him in person soon and get His blessing.

Wishing you well my child.

Madhav Sharma

Re: Jagadguru

Thank you, Madhav ji, for that wonderful explanation. I have always been somewhat confused over the matter and you have cleared it up wonderfully.

Thread Information