Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Euthanasia

Re: Euthanasia

Dear friend ,
    Some time back I met with an accident . The trauma , physical as well as mental left me in great pain . I almost had a nervous break down . But I was perfectly in a position to think and take an action . With all the verdicts of doctors I really felt that there is no point in livingWith the three main arteries 90% blocked , with all the other problems associated with the accident and trauma , There was no point in living . I literally begged and cried and fought with all the people around me to let me go . Doctors said that they do not have any right . Immediate family members also said that they deo not have decide any thing .Iwas arguing with them saying thsat it would not come under thwe list of sin or crime . But no body accepted . I had to surrender to their pressure and with lot of physical and mental pain , I had to be in the hospital for three weeks . Even then doctors said that no operation could be done on my heart since I was in no position to take that . Ultimately I came out with least complications . Now I am in a perfectly fit condition .
    Now they are telling , '' had we conceded it could have had been a grave mistake on our part''.But at that point I really, very sincerely with all my wish and will I welcomed death . Even now I feel that would not have been a mistake . I always feel that we all have to leave just as we go a function and party , we come , rather go back to our house once the party is over and we do not overstay . In that sense I feel one can decide whether to stay or not depending upon their love and interest in life . It should be purely personal choice.
    At least if one has responsibilities or commitments one does not have an option except to face the life and challenges as they come . But in case old and infirm people who do not have any responsibilities wish to go in dignity they should be allowed .But this is a view only and it need not necessarily be in agreement with other's views . If it is against others' views , I tender an apology for hurting their sentiments

Namaste Aanandini ji

what on earth does incest have anything to do with euthanasia, DNRs, and the right to choose your own time of death rather than a long, painful and drawn out one?
    People in love wouldn't care how they are related. I have seen quite a few cases. Call it love/lust/madness, I see that as deviation from the generally accepted norms to fulfill their pleasure.

This body the vehicle given by the almighty has to bear the fruits no matter it is pleasant or painful so that the purpose of the birth is met. Trying to destroy it and legalizing that actions on certain condition s is as good as giving into desire.

I will give you another example:

Terrorist s blew themselves to spread terror. Soldier die to protect the country. Both are aware that they are destroying their body for a cause/desire. Will you support terrorism or patriotism although GOD didn't created borders?

If body is abused by an external tormentor and if the body is sacrificed to protect its integrity then I can accept the logic...

You/I/anyone are terminally ill because you are reaping the fruits of your past actions. You can alter the course of illness by fighting against the illness but succumbing to the pain is not done.

I learnt this principle in a very hard way.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 13 November 2015 at 09:12 PM.
    Anirudh...

Dear friend , It is all a matter of acceptance by the body and mind . No body understands the trauma undergone by a person in the face of calamity . What is right or wrong who can decide. Of course as a staunch believer of karma theory , I have to take what is served in my platter , though intense devotion to Ishtadevatha gives strength to face the ordeal and OuI shtadevatha gives a boon , such that , a very big danger could be reduced to a minor problem .

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by bhaswathy View Post
    Now I am in a perfectly fit condition .
    Sorry to hear about all your problems. Hope you stay healthy and enjoy many years of sadhana at Varanasi.

Pranam.

Dear friend ,
    It is our actions which decide our births ansd deaths . Karma is not a bad word which is used in a general sense . Karma means action . What ever we do we have to face the consequences .All relationships whether of relatives , friends ,others are the culminations of our actions . When once the karmic debt is oner , either that particular person dies or gets away from our life . In this whole process God is only a silent spectator.God is cosmic energy . He or she does not have any name , form or attribute . It is we who have given all those names , forms or attributes depending upon our attributes . what we do in words or deeds or thoughts gets materialised in another
    plane ,time and place. Of course this type of thinking makes people to react in an irresponsible way . so it is said that we should not commit any suicide , the body is a vehicle given by God etc . Even now I feel that if a person does not have any responsibilities , needs of meeting certain comitments , has lived the life fully , is not in a position to live in dignity or facing excruciating pain , he or she should be allowed to decide whether to go or stay back. Fortunately I have come out of all the trauma or else I could have been in a veritable hell .I always believe that there is cause and reason for everything.So it is an inexplicable reason which made me to come back which is going to be unfolded in course of time.
    With due respect to your opinion Bhaswathy

Dear believer,
    Thank you very much for your good wishes

Namaste all,

I remember reading that the Jain tradition have the practice of santhara/sallekhana, wherein the very elderly or those in extreme stages of disease and ill-health, take the practice of abstaining from food and water and facing death voluntarily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sallekhana

Veer Savarkar too for that matter,at the age of 82, practiced santhara or self-euthanasia , terming it as atmaarpan (fast until death). He had earlier penned an article titled "Atmahatya Nahi Atmaarpan" , in which he stated that when one's life mission as well as faculties and ability to serve society is exhausted, it is better to embrace death at will rather than waiting passively for it. Savarkar completely renounced all water, food and medicines during this fast.

So one can say that there is a tradition of euthanasia in India which had been practiced by the very elderly and infirm, when they felt that they were not in a position of health to do their duties to self or society and wished to end their lives in a dignified manner.

Dear friend ,
    That's great , the feat achieved by Veer Savarkar. I could not practice that . But I stopped all allopathic medicines , the blood thinners , anticoagulants , Bp medicines , Insulin , pain killers --- literally everything , but had taken homeopathic medicines all my own prescriptions . This piece of information is given by me because I want to state that well selected homeopathic medicines definitely give good results . According to the verdict of modern medical school , with out their medicines , I could have been dead by september. But the piece of information given by you is really great and inspiring .

Thread Information