Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So are prayer and meditation different things in Hinduism?

So are prayer and meditation different things in Hinduism?

I know that's probably a stupid question on the face of it.

My understanding of prayer, from my western upbringing, is that there are two types. There is the formulaic prayer, like the Lord's Prayer, aka the Our Father; and the Hail Mary. There are many others in Christianity and Islam and Judaism. They are all recited the same way, like you'd recite a mantra.

Then there is the conversation-with-God kind of prayer. I think most people don't hear God's answers because they are too busy talking, and asking God and not letting Him answer.

Jesus (whom I believe was a great teacher and prophet sent by God) said that when you pray, don't make a big speech, just let God know what you want, though He already knows. You know, when you were 17 your dad knew you wanted the car keys, but you still asked him. And then you thanked him.

So that's what I think of as prayer.

Now, are there special ways of praying in Hinduism? If I chanted each of the mantras I use (in my sig.) on a mālā, does that constitute a form of prayer, or is it meditation or is it something in between? Or is that "overdoing" it?

When I meditate (which I really must start doing), can I listen to the recorded mantras and bhajans (am I using the right word for songs?) and feel what the words and music are conveying? I have a whole collection in iTunes, about three hours worth. Some are happy, some are solemn. I listened to them one time through and I felt really peaceful.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: So are prayer and meditation different things in Hinduism?

Namaste,

If I chanted each of the mantras I use (in my sig.) on a mālā, does that constitute a form of prayer, or is it meditation or is it something in between? Or is that "overdoing" it?
    I read this in one book,
    We go from many to one. There are many path which leads to one. Many different sages,some are devotees of Shree Vishnu some are devotee of Shiv, but they Self is the same.
    In the same manner, we can go from prayer ( many words) to mantra( one word).

For this Kali Yug, Sri Chaitnya Mahaprabhu has recommended japa is the best.

When I meditate (which I really must start doing), can I listen to the recorded mantras and bhajans (am I using the right word for songs?) and feel what the words and music are conveying?
    It depends on you what you like, devotion with japa or devotion with bhajans. As you progress, in your devotion, you will be able to figure that out.

Namaste,

AmIHindu ?

For me, I can not begin to pray when I am meditating deeply.

I talk to Beloved all the day, every moment I speak to Him. Been this way my entire life and I think He is oki fine with it....and if He isn't He sure hasn't let on.

Meditation begin with a mantra for me, but surely it isn't the only way. Yes, I do suppose this is a formal sort of prayer. Not really a conversation as my daily prayers to Beloved. But, in meditation I am brought up so wholly to another sort of dialog I fail to be able to use any words in this space. The body gone and only one thing upon the mind until it concedes. From this place I do not pray, but am the prayer.

I agree with AmIHindu, as you move through the process of creating your own routine of Sadhana, you will come to understand the nature of these activities.

Vannakkam Minotaur: I agree pretty much with Nayasurya with one noticeable difference. Because I am a regular temple goer, that is where I do most of my praying. Its in language and thoughts within my head as clearly as I can word it. I am either standing in front of the deity, or sitting in front, eyes open, receiving darshan at the time. Its a communication. There are basically two kinds ... asking for some help, and thanking for help given.

Occasionally I will send written prayers via a sacred fire.

Meditation, on the other hand, is always sitting, eyes closed, and going within via a process learned, just enjoying the feelings etc. found there. Sometimes I even may get insight from that.

So for me, the two are distinctly different. I think there has been some overlap of the two words here in the west by other faiths.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste all, and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    Namaste,
    In the same manner, we can go from prayer ( many words) to mantra( one word).

For this Kali Yug, Sri Chaitnya Mahaprabhu has recommended japa is the best.

It depends on you what you like, devotion with japa or devotion with bhajans. As you progress, in your devotion, you will be able to figure that out.

Namaste,

AmIHindu ?
    This is good. I have a collection of mantras and bhajans I've downloaded and listen to in iTunes. There are several of both types, mantras and bhajans, I am particularly fond of. I'll make a smaller collection of those. In fact there are times when one will pop into my head and I'll just listen to it mentally. I put my headphones on at work, listen to them and feel uplifted.

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    For me, I can not begin to pray when I am meditating deeply.

I talk to Beloved all the day, every moment I speak to Him. Been this way my entire life and I think He is oki fine with it....and if He isn't He sure hasn't let on.
    I know what you mean. I spoke to Sri Krishna last night as I was lying in bed. I asked him for a favor, not for me, but for another being to get well. I hate to see suffering. Whatever is the karma, I know the Lord will give me the strength to see it through and accept it.

Meditation begin with a mantra for me, but surely it isn't the only way. Yes, I do suppose this is a formal sort of prayer. ...

I agree with AmIHindu, as you move through the process of creating your own routine of Sadhana, you will come to understand the nature of these activities.
    This is why I've come to love Hinduism. There is so much room for personal dharma (if I used it correctly to mean "the right way).

(Edit: oops, maybe I did use dharma wrong and it should be sādhanā.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Minotaur: I agree pretty much with Nayasurya with one noticeable difference. Because I am a regular temple goer, that is where I do most of my praying. Its in language and thoughts within my head as clearly as I can word it. I am either standing in front of the deity, or sitting in front, eyes open, receiving darshan at the time. Its a communication. There are basically two kinds ... asking for some help, and thanking for help given.

Occasionally I will send written prayers via a sacred fire.

Meditation, on the other hand, is always sitting, eyes closed, and going within via a process learned, just enjoying the feelings etc. found there. Sometimes I even may get insight from that.

So for me, the two are distinctly different. I think there has been some overlap of the two words here in the west by other faiths.

Aum Namasivaya
    Thanks Emji, that is also a great clarification. I haven't been to temple yet, but I have prayed in front of my shrine, and I've done japa. I did japa sitting quietly and trying to concentrate on the mantra, but I was in a location that was too noisy. I was distracted by that, and lack of discipline, which I know will come.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

If one is praying and ~asking~ then the ability to transcend is curtailed. The prayer of silence is golden.

But what silence, any silence? That silence that expands , that deposits one in samādhi¹ is of the highest value -
    it cultures the mind to keep that silence more-and-more throughout the day.

praṇām

1. samādhi - one-pointed absorption; tranquil silence many call turiya, the 4th.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste yajvan.

Thank you. I don't know if I said in an earlier post that we don't hear God when we pray because we're too busy talking.

The prayer generally is an appeal to Supreme for Sakama wishes (for oneself or one'e closer family) or Niskama wishes (for general people, world's, nature, ecosystem, cosmos, etc i.e selfless).

Meditation can be different types. Some meditations are for health reason, some for enquiry reason and some focussing on an object.

Health reason might be to calm your mind and body - align mind and body.

Enquiry reason might be to deeply think on some topic to analyse, understand or enquire deeper. Like "who am I". Or the several topics of spirituality - this part is the assimilation part of the knowledge.

However the enquiry can also be related to the life's problems - like thinking of a chess move, strategy for business, any deep concentrated - engrossed thoughts where one is not aware of the surroundings.

Focussing on an object can be book reading, TV programs, etc. Again here also one is not aware of the surroundings.

In spirituality meditation would mostly mean the second one.

Love and best wishes.

Love and best wishes

Namaste,

I agree with Yajvan ji. We do not pray for any gross or physical or material matters. Like , money , car , house , beauty or long life. We even should not pray for our good health, bad health is due to our Karma and take it ( bad health) as prasadam from GOD. Sri Ramskrishna had throat cancer, one of his disciple told him to concentrate on throat so that it will be cured, Sri Ramkrishna answered, why he should take away his mind from Ma Kali and give attention to throat.
    Prayer should be to advance in our spiritual journey , final destination, self realization.

Yajvan ji, Samadhi is too far destination for me. I am not sure if I can get to concentration of mind. If I am successful at concentration then only I can move to next step Meditation.

One more sentence for mantra

Mantra is concentrated prayer.

Pranam and GOD hold our hand show us marg.

AmIHindu ?

Quote Originally Posted by AmIHindu View Post
    Namaste,

I agree with Yajvan ji. We do not pray for any gross or physical or material matters. Like , money , car , house , beauty or long life. We even should not pray for our good health, bad health is due to our Karma and take it ( bad health) as prasadam from GOD.
    I agree about not praying for material things. I was also never one to believe in "I'll pray for you" when something bad happens. It's not like God is going to change it. It is what it is, for the reason it is... karma.

Thread Information