Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to be closer

Wanting to be closer

Isn't it fascinating the feeling which arises in us to be closer to the divine, to be more embraced by "Sanatana Dharma" than we may already feel?

It is like an insatiable appetite which shows itself in wanting companionship with like minded fellows or just a bit more time for focused worship and appreciation.

I am aware that there are other posts where our friends have expressed this in different ways and that I am not alone in both the appetite and gratitude which comes with this divine way.

Re: Wanting to be closer

Indeed, Onkara. I also wonder at it myself, and it's amazing to think how many different peoples there must be on this board, each with their own past karmas and beliefs, their cultural backgrounds, personalities, likes/dislikes, and yet we are united in this hunger for a connection with the Divine. But then again, one could argue this is nothing more than souls slowly becoming disillusioned by Maya, and heading towards the goal of realising its true identity, the Self?

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    Indeed, Onkara. I also wonder at it myself, and it's amazing to think how many different peoples there must be on this board, each with their own past karmas and beliefs, their cultural backgrounds, personalities, likes/dislikes, and yet we are united in this hunger for a connection with the Divine. But then again, one could argue this is nothing more than souls slowly becoming disillusioned by Maya, and heading towards the goal of realising its true identity, the Self?

Om namah Shivaya
    Thank you dear Sunyata
    Perhaps the divine silently attracts us all
    I think there comes a time when it crystallises and we feel more certain?

Excellent observation Dear Onkara.
    two eternal movement is going on simultaneously in nature.
    One is internal fire(brahman) underlying the nature is transmitting its light through object/lives as his bliss/love/power.
    Second is this fire is continuously igniting this very nature to convert it to fire itself eternally.one day each dust particle will convert into brahman,the fire.

The good things,the bhakti,bliss,empathy,hunger for knowledge manifested in us is nothing but the fire(brahman) percolating through us.
    And one day we will become brahma-maya and attain the mahabhava in nityaloka.

The fire is working relentlessly within and its taking time to catch fire depending upon the water content(sins/samskar) of the wood.

Jayaguru
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Onkara View Post
    Isn't it fascinating the feeling which arises in us to be closer to the divine, to be more embraced by "Sanatana Dharma" than we may already feel?

It is like an insatiable appetite which shows itself in wanting companionship with like minded fellows or just a bit more time for focused worship and appreciation.

I am aware that there are other posts where our friends have expressed this in different ways and that I am not alone in both the appetite and gratitude which comes with this divine way.
    I feel this especially, having come from a belief system fraught with dire warnings about offending God, everything being a sin and going to hell. There was judgmentalism by believers despite the direct command of the central figure of the belief not to judge others.

I feel more at peace and at ease having embraced Sanatana Dharma, knowing that God is not what I was taught to believe. And strangely I feel a kinship, though I am a westerner, with the 900 million other Hindus I never felt with Christians.

Hinduism is a way of life as well as beliefs. Christianity is supposed to be a way of life, but it is anything but that. I don't think I can ever look back.

I think of the lyrics of My Sweet Lord:

My sweet Lord, I really want to see you, really want to be with you, really want to see you Lord, but it takes so long, my Lord.

My sweet Lord, I really want to know you, really want to go with you, really want to show you Lord that it won't take long, my Lord...
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    I feel this especially, having come from a belief system fraught with dire warnings about offending God, everything being a sin and going to hell. There was judgmentalism by believers despite the direct command of the central figure of the belief not to judge others.

I feel more at peace and at ease having embraced Sanatana Dharma, knowing that God is not what I was taught to believe. And strangely I feel a kinship, though I am a westerner, with the 900 million other Hindus I never felt with Christians.

Hinduism is a way of life as well as beliefs. Christianity is supposed to be a way of life, but it is anything but that. I don't think I can ever look back.

I think of the lyrics of My Sweet Lord:

My sweet Lord, I really want to see you, really want to be with you, really want to see you Lord, but it takes so long, my Lord.

My sweet Lord, I really want to know you, really want to go with you, really want to show you Lord that it won't take long, my Lord...
    It seems quite naturally when we feel we are part of the divine. So natural to love when we know that we are loving our divine Self.

In my opinion the problem of evil and sin rests on one theological issue: that of the relationship between creator and creation. Once we make our mind up on this issue, it is down then down to focusing on our chosen path to God.

When there is no difference between the Creator and the creation, then how can there really be evil or sin? There is only want in the form of desire. Desire comes from that same divine source.

When there is no difference between the Creator and the creation, then how can there really be evil or sin? There is only want in the form of desire. Desire comes from that same divine source.
    Exactly:

"I pervade and support the entire universe by a very small fraction of My divine power." - Bhagavad Gita 10:42

"God is in all and all is in God." - me

We have free will.

Exactly:

"I pervade and support the entire universe by a very small fraction of My divine power." - Bhagavad Gita 10:42

"God is in all and all is in God." - me

We have free will.
    Hello Minotaur
    I don't have the experience of free will, but I do have the sensation of regret - perhaps I was shortchanged along the way

Hello Minotaur
    I don't have the experience of free will, but I do have the sensation of regret - perhaps I was shortchanged along the way
    Free will as defined by the conscious choices we make, while knowing right from wrong.

Free will as defined by the conscious choices we make, while knowing right from wrong.
    How is that for you, my friend, do you find you are constantly making choices then moving to complete them?

In my experience the choices are made and I am going with them. If I still have a choice to make then it is a thought and the predecessor could have been the choice to think. I am thinking about stuff, or I am acting. Or in other words if I am thinking about making a choice it is still in the realm of thoughts and is not yet (physical) action. The realm of thoughts is simply the mind turning over, doing what it does best.

Action can only ever be in the present. With hindsight I can tell you why I act now, in fact the more logical and convincing my reasoning the more sound my actions may seem With imagination I can tell you what I think I will do next. What I actually do (in the present moment) is always being done and hence the choice is already made: no free will.

It is isn't negative, in fact it is quite liberating because thoughts can be left to come and go. Love (bliss) is also now, in the present.

Sorry, I know this seems unrelated to the OP, but it can be brought back in line with it, if anyone so wishes

Thread Information