Thread: Marriage

Marriage

What do Hindu scriptures say about the union between man and woman? What is the philosophy regards marriage? I would really like to learn about the scriptures in this regard.

Re: Marriage

Quote Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post
    What do Hindu scriptures say about the union between man and woman? What is the philosophy regards marriage? I would really like to learn about the scriptures in this regard.
    Right off the top of my head, they say nothing about it If you are in love with someone and like to marry him/her go right ahead. What exactly are you looking for in terms of scriptures?

There are some rituals though...Mine was a South Indian marriage. The groom symbolically with the Vedas in hand bids farewell to his family, friends, etc. with the idea of attaining Sanyaas in Kashi/Varanasi. The father of the bride pleads with him not to embark on such a journey and promises his daughter's hand in marriage. This apparently convinces the groom to enter the life of the householder instead of a sanyasi.

During marriage, there are Vedic mantras that are sung by a Pandit. They propitiate various Gods and invokes their blessings. I can do much worse than a link from the internet.

रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Vannakkam Lotus1: This is just such a vast topic that its hard to address unless you ask more specific questions. For example, the way its worded sounds a bit like you may be indirectly asking about gay marriage. I just don't know. Certainly ethical scriptures such as the Tirukkural do deal with it. Also many elders can advise on it. So if you could be more specific, it would help.

In the broadest sense, marriage is one of the two traditional dharmic paths, the other being sannyas, or renunciation.

Here's another link: http://www.hinduwebsite.com/marriage.asp

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 09 June 2011 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks for the links.
    I was merely wondering if the concept of union between man and woman is integrated into scriptures somehow, like is there a presence at all there, any talk at all about relationship/love/marriage between man and woman. I am someone who is asking who has no idea at all as to what is in Hindu scripture, no frame of reference whatsoever.

And no - Eastern, the thought of gay relationships didn't even cross my mind. Only exactly what I asked was in my mind.

Thanks for the links.
    I was merely wondering if the concept of union between man and woman is integrated into scriptures somehow, like is there a presence at all there, any talk at all about relationship/love/marriage between man and woman. I am someone who is asking who has no idea at all as to what is in Hindu scripture, no frame of reference whatsoever.

And no - Eastern, the thought of gay relationships didn't even cross my mind. Only exactly what I asked was in my mind.
    Vannakkam: You are addressing marriage, not weddings, correct?

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information