Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What does Krishna mean by ME?

Re: What does Krishna mean by ME?

Quote Originally Posted by sky95 View Post
    Krishna: Some people meditate on Me as an endless spirit. That kind of meditation is troublesome, but eventually they may achieve Me. But if you directly think of Me, I swiftly rescue you from the sea of birth and death.

If you can’t always think of Me, then hear and chant about me in the practice of bhakti, or devotional yoga. If you can’t do that, then work for Me, or at least work for charity, because detachment brings peace—more so than mere knowledge.

---------------------

I can't seem to figure it out. Is he advising to constantly think about him in his bodily form? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good question.

The human race has people of all strata with respect to spiritual maturity. Some are highly matured some in the middle and mostly in the lower strata.

So the rules are different for different strata - this depends on individual's fitment.

Some fit at the initial chanting level (starting of bhakti yoga which has sakama bhakti and niskama bhakti), some at the karma yoga level (sakama & niskama) and some at the knowledge level - gyan yoga. Bhakti (it is the base) only increases as one moves from the initial chanting to the final gyana yoga (which is the ultimate of bhakti yoga).

Now depnding on the past karmas in present life or past life the fitment happens.

It starts with one god (may be Krishna), then god every where or many gods and then finally realising that "I" am the brahman.

It only depends who is interpreting and for whom one is interpreting.

Love and best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by kallol View Post
    It starts with one god (may be Krishna), then god every where or many gods and then finally realising that "I" am the brahman.
    Except that realizing "I am the brahman" is not the final end, it is only the beginning of true service to and Love of God, especially for those who start with KrushNa.

Jai Shri KrushNa
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Pranam Onkara ji

Quote Originally Posted by Onkara View Post
    Excellent Ganeshprasad ji.
    May I ask your opinion on the word "purusa" ? Can we understand the meaning of this word with reference to the Lord?

Thank you, what do I think Purusa means in relation to the lord?

I thought this is a very simple question and merit a very simple answer but then if it was that simple why would you care to ask, surely there is much more to it then a simple meaning.

Purush we all know is a male, and there are other defination if we care to look up the Sanskrit dictionary.

If we say male all kind of thought occurs, isn’t that limiting the scope of all mighty, after all that would set a boundary, how can that be possible, he is boundless, God can not perish that would be ridiculous, as we read the story in Bhagvat puran some hunter kills him, what kind of God is that? so the gyni concludes, in the final analysis all forms dissolve in Brahman.
    Well if we look at with our limited material eyes we make this erroneous mistake that Krishna is subject to same material laws that applies to us,

I take my cue from Bhagvat Gita Lord Krishna says my birth is divya;

The one who truly understands My transcendental birth and activities (of creation, maintenance, and dissolution), is not born again after leaving this body and attains My abode, O Arjuna. (4.09)

He further says in chapter 15.16/17 there are two types of Purush (dvav imau purusau loke)
    But he says I am utam, the best among the two therefore I am known as purusottamah.

So in my humble opinion he is supreme person, param Brahm, param dham, eternal all pervading in his avyaktam state etc

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste Onkarji

So, my question is: If the word 'impersonal' is not appealing, then ... is [Para]Brahman a Beautiful Person to you ?
    Hopefully lotus-eyed
    Namasté smaranamji
    For me the Lord is unconditional love. When I become silent, or think of Him, I feel flushed with love without any concern. Sometimes it is overwhelming.

that was a very beautiful response. it is true, one can feel love in one's heart, a kind of universal or unconditional love not specifically directed at any particular body. just because the love is not in relation to someone doesn't mean it is impersonal. feeling love is a very deeply personal thing - it is the very height of consciousness and consciousness itself is a mark of spiritual identity.

I don't know or expect if you meant this onkara but this is what arises in me in response to your post.

Sarangi dasiji
    I am flattered by your reply. I had hoped to give the most honest response I could to Smaranamji's question, despite some hesitation as to how it might be received. I didn't feel that I could be alone in the acknowledgement of this "divine love" and your understanding captures it correctly.

Finally, I had to conclude that after pulling enough hair out over the manifest versus unmanifest, I must accept that what we are left with is the whole and the whole is no less than Lord Himself, be it with or without form, changefull or ever present. To say anything is impersonal is to assume something can exist apart from the Lord, for the whole is the divine person.

I wanted to thank, Ganeshprasadji for his reply, in which he refers to chapter 15. Here Sri Krishna helps to confirm my convictions:

I am seated within all hearts;
    Memory, knowledge, and their loss
    Proceed from Me: for I am the
    Veda’s Goal, Author, and Knower. 15.15

There cannot be any impersonal, for the Lord is seated within all hearts, all knowledge and memories depend on Him, nothing is ever apart from Him, everything is divinely personal and can be felt as love.

Quote Originally Posted by sarangi dasi View Post
    that was a very beautiful response. it is true, one can feel love in one's heart, a kind of universal or unconditional love not specifically directed at any particular body. just because the love is not in relation to someone doesn't mean it is impersonal. feeling love is a very deeply personal thing - it is the very height of consciousness and consciousness itself is a mark of spiritual identity.

I don't know or expect if you meant this onkara but this is what arises in me in response to your post.
    Last edited by Onkara; 17 June 2011 at 07:30 AM.

Except that realizing "I am the brahman" is not the final end, it is only the beginning of true service to and Love of God, especially for those who start with KrushNa.

Jai Shri KrushNa
    Absolutely right. Whether or not Krishna. Gyana Yoga stage is the highest stage of Bhakti.

May I be allowed to say it is the begining to the end of samsara.

Love and best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Onkara View Post
    I wanted to understand where the idea of "impersonal Brahman" was coming from as it raises philosophical questions on the "ME".

It also appears in Ramanujacharya's commentary
    avyakta
    indistinct, unclear, undeterminable, unmanifest, imperceptible, Universal Spirit, abstract

Antonym: vyakta
    clear, evident, manifest, distinct, perceptible

vyakti
    individual, person, identity, visible appearance or manifestation

vyaktitva - personality, character
    vyaktigat - personal

vaiyaktik personal

Antonym: avaiyaktik impersonal

(avyakta X vyakta --> vyakti --> vyaktitva, vyaktigat, vaiyaktik X avaiyaktik)

------

" just because the love is not in relation to someone doesn't mean it is impersonal"

Yes, but the OBJECT of the love is not a person hence in the context of BG 12.1 to n it is impersonal. Not because impersonal means 'cold' or 'unloving' .

praNAm
    Last edited by smaranam; 17 June 2011 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks a lot smaranamji, your patience and help is appreciated.

praNAm

You are welcome Onkarji. In that case i suppose it was service to KrushNa.

Thread Information