Thread: Duty?

Duty?

I was speaking with a Christian (Who was trying to convert me) about what Dharma meant. He went on to say that in Hinduism if you were walking down the street and found a sick and hungry child you were not to do anything. Because if you were to do something for the child you would be interfering with their dharma?

Is this true? Or is it something Christians make up to make us doubt our faith?

Re: Duty?

दया धर्मस्य जन्मभूमिः
    dayā dharmasya janmabhūmiḥ

Empathy is the birthplace of Dharma. (Chanakya Niti Sutra)

So, no it is not true and indeed Christians do misrepresent Hindu Dharma in order to obscure it.

Namaste Tirisilex,

That is not true. The person who told you that is an idiot. I don't see how you would in any way be interfering with the child's dharma. Maybe the person meant karma...regardless, to paraphrase Mata Amritanandamayi, "If it is a person's karma to suffer, it is your dharma to help them."

Stay away from this person and really any Christian who would try to convert you, especially if you are new to Hinduism and would be perplexed by such an absurd "argument" by a Christian.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

I think he meant karma.

At any rate, if that were true, Mother Teresa is going to be reborn as an artichoke.

Christians make up a lot of things. That's why I'm not Christian anymore, and distance myself from their "make-it-up-as-they-go-along" mentality. Maybe it's your dharma to do good works to eliminate your bad karma. The Lord asks that we show compassion.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Vannakkam Tirisilex: Well, I'm certainly glad you came here and asked HINDUS about Hinduism. Most Christians have no clue. A more common answer, even from Christians with slightly more clue, would have been 'interfering with his karma' not dharma. So, since this guy doesn't even know the difference between karma and dharma, I hope you don't go back for more 'discussion' . You have to remember that for him, any discussion at all is just a means for an attempt at converting you.

But back to the question. Its the sick and hungry person's karma to have met you a wonderful and helpful person, who is more that willing to give him a decent meal and help him out, because if you don't, then it becomes your karma. So its your dharma to help him. Genuinely help him. That is, do what you can to give him a better life. and this does not mean preaching to him.

Have a bright joyous day!

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna View Post
    The person who told you that is The Mother of All Idiots.
    Fixed.

Vannakkam all.. Wow, four good answers in 4 minutes.. must be some kind of record!

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EMji.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    You have to remember that for him, any discussion at all is just a means for an attempt at converting you.
    I've always told "persistent Christians" (I'm trying to be charitable here) that "Go make disciples of all nations" does not mean get in their face or force them. It was probably a "born again Christian" or JW.

Hey, just tell them as Hindus we've been born again! (and again, and again, and again... ) *ahem* sorry, I'm not helping.

Honestly all I could think of was.. Wasn't it Christians who were commanded by Christ to love their enemies.. Burn people at the Stake?

Om Mani Padme Hum
    "The leprosy of unreality disfigured every human creature in attendance."
    - Charles Dickens

"Every blade of grass, every insect, ant, and golden bee, all so marvelously know their path, though they have not intelligence, they bear witness to the mystery of God and continually accomplish it themselves."
    - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Thread Information