Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which temples are open to everyone?

Which temples are open to everyone?

Namaste,

There are a few temples in India that don't allow untouchables, others, as is mentioned in another thread that don't allow non-Indians but there are still many (to include here in the USA) that expect menstruating women to stay out. Obviously, it's un-enforceable, but that sort of exclusive thinking is not for me, regardless of any rationale. But I'd still like to participate at a temple. I contacted ISKCON and they are open to all. Does anyone here know of other branches of Hinduism whose temples are open to all? Or is that the only one?

Re: Which temples are open to everyone?

Ramakrishna Mutt may be another (it is open to all religions also).

Same is with Gaudia mutt.

Most of the temples in Bengal are open to all as far as I know.

Love and best wishes

amalaji,

the title of thread should read: which mandirs are NOT open to everyone?
    I do agree wiht the idea of coming up with the list of trouble makers in order for all hindus to make collective representation to bring change in their discriminative policies. I do respect their reasons, but then we have to move on with the times.Brahman doesnt discriminate.

It is much easier to come up with a short list of culprits rather than postings all those thousands of mandirs spread across the globe that places no restrictions on anyone. Puri Jagannath mandir, Bhuvaneswar, Orissa, India makes the list refusing entry to caucasians; the next one is Pashupathinath mandir of Katmandu, Nepal that faces the same accusation..this I say from what was posted here and elsewhere.

Namaste,

LOL
    which mandirs are NOT open to everyone?

People look for negative things first, especially when it comes to Hinduism and Indians.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Puri Jagannath mandir, Bhuvaneswar, Orissa, India makes the list refusing entry to caucasians; the next one is Pashupathinath mandir of Katmandu, Nepal that faces the same accusation..this I say from what was posted here and elsewhere.
    I just found this. It's a shame the temple had to take such drastic actions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaganna...i#Temple_today

(The bold is mine)

Temple today
    In modern times the temple is busy and functioning.The temple is selective regarding who is allowed entry & most non-Hindus are excluded from premises,[13] as are Hindus of non-Indian origin. Visitors not allowed entry may view the precincts from the roof of the nearby Raghunandan Library.[14] There is some evidence that this came into force following a series of invasions by foreigners into the temple and surrounding area. Buddhist, and Jain groups are allowed into the temple compound if they are able to prove their Indian ancestry.[15] The temple has slowly started allowing Hindus of non-Indian origin into the area, after an incident in which 3 Balinese Hindus were denied entry, even though Bali is 90% Hindu.[16]

^ "Jagannatha Puri". Archived from the original on 2006-07-15. http://web.archive.org/web/20060715031144/http://www.iskcon.com/culture/holy_places/j_puri.html. Retrieved 2006-09-12.

^ "Puri - Jagannath Temple". http://www.planetware.com/puri/jagannath-temple-ind-oris-jag.htm.

^ "Jagannath Temple". http://www.odissi.com/orissa/jagannath.htm. Retrieved 2006-09-12.

^ Puri temple in Hindu gaffe, The Telegraph, Calcutta - November 08, 2007
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Amala View Post
    Namaste,

There are a few temples in India that don't allow untouchables, others, as is mentioned in another thread that don't allow non-Indians but there are still many (to include here in the USA) that expect menstruating women to stay out. Obviously, it's un-enforceable, but that sort of exclusive thinking is not for me, regardless of any rationale. But I'd still like to participate at a temple. I contacted ISKCON and they are open to all. Does anyone here know of other branches of Hinduism whose temples are open to all? Or is that the only one?
    Vannakkam Amala: This thread http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...nstrual+custom discusses it a bit.

Aum Namasivaya

See now I have a problem with the 'no menstruating women or wounded persons allowed' policy because over a period of five years I suffered from a chronic open wound and had I been where I am now with easy access to temples I would not have been allowed in! During a time of chronic injury I believe temples can actually HELP. The good vibrations within them and the palpable presence of God can go a long way to helping a person get better.

Namaste,

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by kallol View Post
    Ramakrishna Mutt may be another (it is open to all religions also).

Same is with Gaudia mutt.

Most of the temples in Bengal are open to all as far as I know.

Love and best wishes
    Thank you. Do you know if those temples are under the guidance of a particular priest? ..or an organization that keeps them from perpetuating rules that exclude?

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    amalaji,

the title of thread should read: which mandirs are NOT open to everyone?
    I do agree wiht the idea of coming up with the list of trouble makers in order for all hindus to make collective representation to bring change in their discriminative policies. I do respect their reasons, but then we have to move on with the times.Brahman doesnt discriminate.

It is much easier to come up with a short list of culprits rather than postings all those thousands of mandirs spread across the globe that places no restrictions on anyone. Puri Jagannath mandir, Bhuvaneswar, Orissa, India makes the list refusing entry to caucasians; the next one is Pashupathinath mandir of Katmandu, Nepal that faces the same accusation..this I say from what was posted here and elsewhere.
    This has not been my experience. Many I have spoken to not only will not discuss the topic of this thread, but they get side-tracked into defending the practice of keeping menstruating women out of temples. Of the 4 temples I've contacted here in Michigan, only one is open to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Amala: This thread http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...nstrual+custom discusses it a bit.

Aum Namasivaya
    Thank you, but that's not the topic that I'm interested in. I understand there are reasons for choices, but I am hoping to find the path that fits me.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
    See now I have a problem with the 'no menstruating women or wounded persons allowed' policy because over a period of five years I suffered from a chronic open wound and had I been where I am now with easy access to temples I would not have been allowed in! During a time of chronic injury I believe temples can actually HELP. The good vibrations within them and the palpable presence of God can go a long way to helping a person get better.
    I agree. I hope there are more paths than ISKCON that will openly state they whole-heartedly support, in all their temples, welcoming all. That's what I'm looking for.

Om s'aanti: s'aanti: s'aanti:

Ramakrishna and Gaudiya are organisation - well proliferated.

Amongst the Indians, bengalis are generally known to be more liberated in terms of the ritualistic and caste bases hindu religion. I do not say that they are not there but not as predominant as in most of the other parts.

It is because of the large numbers of philosophers from that region in the modern era - Chaitanya, Ramakrishna, Yogananda, Lahiri Mahasaya, Vivekananda, Aurobindo, Prabhupada, Raja Rammohan Roy, ....... and some more. These people have helped in removing the caste based and ritual based dharma and establish more of community based pujas and spirituality (sanatana dharma) based learning.

So in Bengal we have a few temples and mostly they are Kali temples. The other pujas (even the kali puja) like Durga puja, Saraswati puja, Laxmi puja, etc are all celebrated as community puja in a temporary erected cover (called pandal) and after the puja the idol is put in lakes or rivers or sea. There is no divide of caste, religion, etc. There are examples of a Muslim or Christian as part of the organising committee also.

This culture has percolated to most temples (the few which are there) and priest never asks for caste creed or religion.

Love and best wishes

Wouldn’t it be better to shorten the list of demands to: entry to All hindus regardless of skin color, caste and gender (Swamy ayyappa mandir, kerala prohibits entry to ALL women over some 10 yrs age. This is the only mandir that prohibits women in all of the world!). Regarding monthly cycles of women, how is it going to be an issue, if it is between the woman and her creator, meaning how on earth another fellow would know about a devotee’s eastrous cycles, and why should any woman advertise it? Creator has no issues with it, we know that.

May be some scholars thought in those days that phremones abound during that week in woman’s cycle and the phremones in turn might cause some ‘issues’ to other male devotees. You are in my opinion stretching it too far, it is a different matter Iam on your side even on this... Its like going to Saudi king and demanding a right to wear bikinis to schools, whilst women cant even drive cars (in Burkha that is) there as we speak. Calm down Kaalimaataji, it is Saturday, the prayer day. Namaste.

Thread Information