Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which temples are open to everyone?

Re: Which temples are open to everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Regarding monthly cycles of women, how is it going to be an issue, if it is between the woman and her creator, meaning how on earth another fellow would know about a devotee’s eastrous cycles, and why should any woman advertise it? Creator has no issues with it, we know that.
    Namaste,

For me it signifies the overall spirit of the temple, not if it's enforceable. Are we all welcome? As you say, The Creator has no problem with it. The spirit of the temple where I belong will not have a problem either. If there is only ISKCON temples, then at least there are those that do not exclude anyone.

@Kallol, So it's your opinion that if a woman were to look for Ramakrishna and Gaudiya temples here in the USA, they should not have a problem welcoming her - any day she wished to attend, regardless of the stage in her cycle?

Peace,
    Amala

Pranam all

i agonized weather to post my views or not, it is one thing that the temples be opened to all Hindus, i must say that also within the boundaries and the rules of the temples, for instance a lot of temples in south india will insist on man wearing a dhoti, women in traditional dress but it is another to knock an age old tradition of women in their natural monthly cycle what to speak of going to temples, they are excused form doing any normal duties in the house. they are simply untouchable for that time, that has been a universal rule which was i believed very rigid in olden days, today mostly normal everyday routine is carried out without any fuss but anything spiritual a Hindu born lady would not dream of taking part. it is a self imposed discipline our family in uk, we say come it is ok, but they simply would not attend Norta or temple.

Hindus are no fool this rule must have been there for a reason besides i know during this period, all my nieces i know, is that they want to be is left alone, that says a lot.

In nepal they worship and choose a living Goddess, as soon as they reach puberty they no longer worship her and choose another.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Amala View Post
    Obviously, it's un-enforceable, but that sort of exclusive thinking is not for me, regardless of any rationale. But I'd still like to participate at a temple.
    Namaste,

May i first ask, what you expect or mean by "participate in a temple" ?

Before going any further, let me first say, ISKCON, Gaudiya MaTh or not, Deity pujA and anything near the Deity area is out of the question. ISKCON and Gaudiya MaTh have twice initiated women pujAris but this rule obviously applies to them.

Do you see yourself attending Temple along with a big group ? Then i can see how a planned trip can be a problem. Can you make sure nobody will expect you to arrive or miss you if you don't ? e.g. there is Ratha yAtra in town and you skip it and people are looking for you all over ?

If by participation you mean individually attending arati, kirtan, lecture, or ad-hoc last minute volunteering, i do not see any problem of staying away without having to tell anyone. Missing darshan or arati or kirtan as part of the crowd when no specific service is expected should not be a problem unless it means many people coming to know, and one should not insist on breaking the rule then.

It is only when one is commited to some service like sing Narsimha prayers on Tuesday, that one would have to arrange for a substitute, and usually that should not be a problem, but if it is, then i can see why someone would protest against this rule. I believe this is what happened at ISKCON / Gaudiya MaTh since it is all active seva-schedule-oriented, and some matajis asked for bending the rule.

praNAm
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

You should not agonize<3 I think it comes from a very good place and is very goodly.

Since my body contains the Mirena I do not have a real experience with this problem...as I have not had a period for decades between the pregnancies and Mirena.

But, I will say...Some may live these very comfortable lives with cars and air conditioning....but imagine going on a walk to a temple in sweltering heat and feeling poorly? Drawing water for your home may take an hour of back breaking labor and could perhaps need to be done several times a day!

We have often heard women labled "unclean" during these times...and I am sure they were. Again, before the advent of sanitary pads, tampons, tylenol and such...ugh...I don't know how those poor women survived.

Can you imagine how overall icky those poor ladies felt?

Not to mention, it is suggested that anyone who be feeling unwell to skip temple and activities...not just females.

For me, this rule is very common sense...I don't think it comes in the spirit of the abrahamics who said..."go filthy vile women you are unclean."

But more of a "Dear Goddess...in all your Beautiful Wondrous Incarnations....Please...take rest at this time and take care of Yourself<3"

Can you imagine how relieved those young ladies were when someone let them rest? I feel the relief to my bones.

Vannakkam all:

Not going to temple is as important as going to temple, and there are many reasons, depending on which tradition one follows, caste, sect, etc. I know of no temple where everyone would go all the time. Some temples themselves sometimes close for everybody, even the priests, on days when some would consider just superstition. From my observations, its about as complicated and diverse as SD itself.

Here's a partial list ... applies to some temples, perhaps not all, in varying degrees. The concept of temple is very very different than the concept of church.
    - on solar eclipses, some temples close completely, not even the priests are allowed
    - only married men can be chief priests at some (mine here is an example ... we have a wonderful assistant priest, but he cannot become chief priest because he's single .. I don't like it but accept it)
    - nobody except priests are allowed in sanctums of south India style
    - many devotees won't go when they're angry or upset ... they believe that would disturb the peaceful vibration, this is unlike Christianity especially, when one might go for solace.
    - funerals are never held in temples, grieving is done elsewhere, depending on area or sect. I've heard 21 days, 31 days, or even a whole year. Some close friends will follow this. On the day of the funeral or service which is held elsewhere, nobody who attends the funeral goes on to the temple.

- the period immediately after a birth, again 21 days, or 31 days, no relatives including at least parents, and grandparents can go to temple. Sometimes even very close friends follow this. (Here each time when our chief priest had a grandchild, we hired a priest from Toronto to come serve ... its happened 6 times ...) (I've also seen a family refused service, someone from a different area of India where customs are different came with a 10 day old baby for a ceremony. Priest and manager asked them to go away and come back in 21 more days. I don't know if they ever came back.)
    - Many people stay away if they are not meat free for at least 24 hours, so if they plan to go to temple, they are veggie for a t least 24 hours.
    - Some people will stay away for 24 or 48 hours or more after sexual activity.
    - Non-Hindus are excluded, and many non-Hindus wouldn't go in even if invited. I've seen people of mixed marriages wait in the car for at least an hour while their spouse is in the temple.
    - Injured people sometimes don't go, but it depends on the person, and the severity of the injury.
    - modest dress is almost universal, some temples have enforced dress codes. I know a few who provide dhoti/veshti, or sarong at least.
    - no one goes ever without showering or bathing

These have only been my observations. Born Hindus, in general, take all this in stride, as they're just so very used to it. Perhaps not going to temple is no big deal. But like I said, it really really varies a lot, from temple to temple, and person to person. Some (temples and people) really error on the side of caution perhaps too much, while others verge on disrespecting all the customs. Especially with the western temples, its hard sometimes to tell what's temple and what isn't, as often a cultural hall is attached or on the property, or the temple has a basement. The boundaries are less clear than in India. Again some people would consider temple property or land to be 'at the temple'. Others wouldn't. In the end its really up to the individual and temple management. I personally would respect the management's wishes anywhere. I've been a temple trustee, and its a thankless thankless job some days.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam Naya, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    But more of a "Dear Goddess...in all your Beautiful Wondrous Incarnations....Please...take rest at this time and take care of Yourself<3"

Can you imagine how relieved those young ladies were when someone let them rest? I feel the relief to my bones.
    Preciously my point, i had never viewed this anything other then a well deserved break, although i had heard other reasons and i respect that.

EMji has also summed up quite nicely for all the other reason one may not attend a temple or perform puja, there are specific rules of does and don't during Sutak as EM mentioned during a birth or death in the family.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Edited to delete/move original posting.
    Last edited by Arjuni; 26 June 2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Removing/moving thread at OP's request.

I heard from a kannadiga that women in south India consider their periods as a mini vacation. During this time the men take care of the cooking and the women have time to relax.

delete
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 26 June 2011 at 12:54 PM.

Yes, but he also is proficiant in Dutch, otherwise I would not have understood him.

Thread Information