Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: new Banner?

Re: new Banner?

Vannakkam Satay et al: Satay, whatever you decide is absolutely fine with me. For me, its by far the content of this place that's important. It could be all just blank, and drab looking. The looks are secondary. I'm fine with the one we have now as well. Whatever the site looks like, we'll still have this diversity of wonderful views.

Aum Namasivaya

Namast, all,

Satay, Charitra, it doesn't have to be a modern flag of India. Many designs were suggested over the years.

Of course, I might be a little biased in preferring that one.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste,
    I was thinking it to be a strip of pictures of god(s) with an OM in the center or 'agni' in the center. I also want to incoroprate flag of india or a saffron flag of hinduism in the logo but not sure exactly how this will all look.

Did I say I am not artistic. Right part of my brain is almost dead.
    Put me in some kind of administrative job, specially if it involves micromanagement... Watch me have a nervous breakdown!

Only God is 100%, right?

On a serious note, you just inspired me with the description of what you want. Do you have any specific images in mind? Send them to me if you have.

Namaste,

It sounds like a really nice idea. I'm definitely eager to see what some of our more creative members will be able to come up with!

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

namaste,

I don't have any specific images in mind but I did a search on google images of 'hindu gods' and it came up with tons of images. A strip made up of Durga, Shiva, Krishna, Rama, Ganesha, Hanuman would just do fine I think. Also, if you do a search for 'hindu saffron flag' google images comes up with a number of flag. Maybe the saffron could be background of the strip? or on one side there could be a saffron flag and on the other side of the strip could be indian flag?

Please email me karmic_hindu@yahoo.com. I can also pay your for your effrot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    Put me in some kind of administrative job, specially if it involves micromanagement... Watch me have a nervous breakdown!

Only God is 100%, right?

On a serious note, you just inspired me with the description of what you want. Do you have any specific images in mind? Send them to me if you have.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste,
    A strip made up of Durga, Shiva, Krishna, Rama, Ganesha, Hanuman would just do fine I think. Also, if you do a search for 'hindu saffron flag' google images comes up with a number of flag. Maybe the saffron could be background of the strip?
    Sounds great. Can't wait to see a rough draft. It could also include OM (devanagari script, of course), maybe in the center, symbolizing the center of all.

or on one side there could be a saffron flag and on the other side of the strip could be indian flag?
    I don't think the national flag is a good idea. I think it sends a signal that Hinduism is Indo-centric, or an Indians-only club. The direction of many posts is that Hinduism is pan-human and transcends time and space and national borders.

I understand the pride in India, but I think it might discourage a non-Indian who is newly embracing Hinduism. Because Hinduism is a faith, theology and lifestyle, I think it would better to focus on that and not add a national icon, i.e. a national flag.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Vannakkam: I think the Indian flag would be totally appropriate. India spawned Hinduism, and it spread from there. Today there is a diaspora, yes, but India is the Motherland of all Hindus. For those of us outside of her, we yearn to return home, even if we weren't born there. I think every Hindu owes it to himself or herself to pilgrimage Home at least once in their lifetime. it really is an eye-opener as Hinduism just permeates everything. Some 98% of all Hindus on the planet live in India.

I think its like the difference between seeing a war on TV, or being in one.

But once again, whatever the owner of the site decides is fine by me.

Aum Namasivaya

namaste,
    Re Indian flag, I really don't know how it will even look on the site and even if it is appropriate from the 'national' point of view to put the flag on this site. The hindu saffron flag is more appropriate.

India is the motherland no matter if you were born there or not. Feeling offensive at the sight of indian flag is like saying that we feel offensive when we see our mom's picture. That doesn't make sense to me.

That said, let's wait and see. I don't want this discussion turned into some political blabber.

Thanks,
    satay

Namaste EMji and satayji.

Hmm... a different perspective. OK, I can understand that, since India is the birthplace of Hinduism; they really are pretty much synonymous. I myself would like to go there. When the time comes, I would like my ashes sent to Varanasi. I don't know how practical it will be, but it's a wish.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

First, I want to say that I don't know how to work with photoshop, so I can't make a banner. My signature picture was made through cutting and pasting in MS Paint.

I also agree that a representation of India would be appropiate, although I would not use the current national flag. The meaning of the colours of the flags are orange=Hinduism, white=Christianity, green=Islam and the wheel=Buddhism. The meaning of the white/green colours in the Indian flag are innapropiate on a dharmic forum.

A representation of Bharata Mata would be more appropiate.

Thread Information