Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions of Krishna.

Questions of Krishna.

I hear that Krishna is one of the most difficult to please in comparison to other gods, primarily Lord Shiva. Why is this? I thought he was simple to please as he just requires you to offer something to him.

I hear it is because he expects you to love him in totality which is very difficult.

The only murti I have is a Ganesh murti. I wish to sing to Krishna, but I feel so odd singing to Krishna while Ganesh is in the room, ha, almost as if it'd be insulting!

Usually I do a small Ganesh ritual with the intention of praying to Krishna afterwards but I get so caught up in praying to Ganesh. I seem to be drawn to the both of them, but I am so used to abrahamic religions that I feel as if I need to choose just one, and I know that's not how the dharma works. I just have also heard about finding one mantra and sticking to it.

Is it okay if I chant Ganesh on tulsi wood mala? I hear it is not okay.

And lastly,

Do all Vaishnava's obstain from alcohol, drugs and stimulants? I know in some sects of shaivism marijuana and beer are used as an upaya and ritual offering. Why is this found with shaivites but not vaishnavas? Can't the beer or coffee/tea be offered to Krishna as well?

Thank you so much,

Hare Om.

Re: Questions of Krishna.

That's a new one i'm hearing. i guess you should go back to reading GIta where Krishna tells Arjun even you offer him leaf or a flower he will accept it.i think same goes for coffee or tea too.

i'l offer what we do in family if it helps you. before any meal or anything we eat, just remember God in any form which attracts you most and invite him to eat that first and then have it.

As far as Krishna getting angry if you worship Ganesh, you got to go back to reading Gita again where he clearly mentions which ever form you worship him, he will make your faith strong in that form and yet you will reach him only.

Om Namah Shivay

Quote Originally Posted by WTyler View Post
    I hear that Krishna is one of the most difficult to please in comparison to other gods, primarily Lord Shiva.
    Hmm...I dont see it like that...

Krishna came to the Pandavas in the forest. He was hungry. Draupadi didnt have anything to offer him. Krishna found that one of her cooking utensils had a single solitary uneaten left-over morsel of rice. That was all Krishna needed to fulfil his hunger.

I am sure Krishna does not judge his devotees by the pomp of their offering but rather the intensity of feeling behind the offering. And no...Krishna will not be "insulted" if you worship Ganesha or invoke Ganesha's blessings.

"Thou shalt have no other Gods before me" belongs to Judaism/Islam/Christianity, not Sanatana Dharma.

Do all Vaishnava's obstain from alcohol, drugs and stimulants? I know in some sects of shaivism marijuana and beer are used as an upaya and ritual offering. Why is this found with shaivites but not vaishnavas? Can't the beer or coffee/tea be offered to Krishna as well?

Thank you so much,

Hare Om.
    If I am not mistaken, Shiva is much more likely to be associated with tamas-guna whereas Vishnu is almost always related solely with rajas or pure sattva-gun. Beer and drugs, being more tamasic in quality, would therefore befit Shiva but not Vishnu.

I'm sure there are Shiva sects who would vociferously disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    ...Krishna ... clearly mentions which ever form you worship him, he will make your faith strong in that form and yet you will reach him only.

Om Namah Shivay
    (Sorry for the edit, goodlife ; I wanted to highlight the point of the quote).

Sri Krishna's Vishwarupa: His Universal Form that Arjuna was gifted to see:

The Blessed Lord said: My dear Arjuna, O son of Prtha, behold now My opulences, hundreds of thousands of varied divine forms, multicolored like the sea. - 11.5

O best of the Bharatas, see here the different manifestations of Adityas, Rudras, and all the demigods. Behold the many things which no one has ever seen or heard before. 11.6

Whatever you wish to see can be seen all at once in this body. This universal form can show you all that you now desire, as well as whatever you may desire in the future. Everything is here completely. 11-7

But you cannot see Me with your present eyes. Therefore I give to you divine eyes by which you can behold My mystic opulence. 11.8

Sanjaya said: O King, speaking thus, the Supreme, the Lord of all mystic power, the Personality of Godhead, displayed His universal form to Arjuna. - 11.9

Arjuna saw in that universal form unlimited mouths and unlimited eyes. It was all wondrous. The form was decorated with divine, dazzling ornaments and arrayed in many garbs. He was garlanded gloriously, and there were many scents smeared over His body. All was magnificent, all-expanding, unlimited. This was seen by Arjuna. 11.10-11

If hundreds of thousands of suns rose up at once into the sky, they might resemble the effulgence of the Supreme Person in that universal form. 11.12

At that time Arjuna could see in the universal form of the Lord the unlimited expansions of the universe situated in one place although divided into many, many thousands. 11.13
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    Beer and drugs, being more tamasic in quality, would therefore befit Shiva but not Vishnu.
    Here we go again Kismet...If your "knowledge" of Hinduism derives from Zeenat Amman singing "Dum Maro Dum" this will be the result.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Here we go again Kismet...If your "knowledge" of Hinduism derives from Zeenat Amman singing "Dum Maro Dum" this will be the result.
    Excuse me? Am I your enemy or something?

With all due respect, if I am in some way mistaken, feel free to correct me. But if you are simply going to be condescending towards me for your own personal reason, well, that is not very helpful, in my opinion.

This is the view I have gathered from sundry sources, flawed and biased as they may be. If you have another source, shoot.

Thank you all for your replies!

It was the first time I had heard he was hard to please too--I believe I heard it from a shaivite.

So, are there sects of Vaishnava that tolerate drinking and smoking?

To me Krishna represents pleasure and enjoying life, just without attachment. It would seem as if he would promote enjoyment of some "wordly"things, if done correctly, atleast.

I do not know about Vaishnavas. The branch that is called Gaudiya Vaishnavism originating in Bengal is, as far as I know, quite strict: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaudiya..._and_lifestyle

On the other hand, to validate my position that at least some (not all) worshippers of Shiva are more open to experimentation with tamasic elements, see here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aghori#Doctrines

Thank you all for your replies!

It was the first time I had heard he was hard to please too--I believe I heard it from a shaivite.
    may be that sums it up.since Mahadev is easy to please, else must be hard to please, no??

OM Namah Shivay

Thread Information