Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nilakantha

Re: Nilakantha

Quote Originally Posted by Atanu Banerjee View Post
    The being who is in time -- seems to have colour -- only this little, still the being who is beyond time -- white.

He stands at the sandhi, the bridge -- knowing this and that, encompassing both. Aja Ekpad.

Aja Ekpad.
    Within time, Nilakantha, the blue-throated one. Beyond, white as the jasmine flower, Mallikārjuna.

Shivoham!

Bhagavan Baba's Explanation of the Story of Churning

Howard Murphet, one of the staunch devotees of Bhagavan Sathya Sai Baba, in his book "Man Of Miracles" writes about a miracle followed by Baba's explanation of its inner meaning and connection with the story of churning the milky ocean.

The Miracle that Gave the Amrita to Devotees
    (http://www.saibabaofindia.com/man_of_miracles.html)

But there was one supreme production from that sand patch of which we all had a share. Baba did his outline sketch, which I could see from where I sat was a little container of some kind. Then, in the usual way, he scraped the top sand with his open hands to make a tiny hill above the drawing. Pausing a moment with a delighted smile, he felt into the crown of the hill and took out a silver-coloured container. This was of circular shape with a neck and a screw-top. At a guess its spherical bowl would be perhaps two and a half inches in diameter.

Sai Baba unscrewed the lid and a wonderful perfume pervaded the air. Putting the container to one side, he went through the same process again of drawing and mound-building. This time the product was a golden spoon like a small teaspoon. With this he stirred the contents of the bowl and, standing up, began to give some to each of his spectators.

Like the others I opened my mouth while he poured a spoonful onto my tongue. The word that came into my mind was "ambrosial"; it seemed nothing less than the food of the gods; it suggested a mixture of the essences of the most heavenly fruits, the divine archetypes of the loveliest fruits of earth. The taste is quite indescribable; it has to be experienced.

The devotees call this glorious nectar amrita, which has much the same meaning as ambrosia - the food of the immortals. Several devotees, including some westerners like Nirmalananda and Gabriela, had told me about seeing it produced on rare occasions from the sand, and all tried in vain to describe its exquisite taste and aroma. Others, including Dr. Sitaramiah, had witnessed Baba produce amrita by squeezing his own hand, and in other ways. But no one at this time had seen manifestation of amrita for about three years, and I was very grateful that Baba had given my wife and myself this personal experience of a thrilling, deeply-moving miracle. It was witnessed on this occasion at Horsley Hills by about forty-five men and more than a dozen women. Baba went around giving some to all, except to the women who were staying at Circuit House. There was enough amrita for everyone to have a spoonful each and the bowl was still not empty. Baba handed it to me to carry back to our quarters. I felt very honoured and held it carefully in my hand as we drove up the sharp bends to the crest of the hill. Sand still clung to the designs carved on the silvery metal, which I was told was the sacred alloy panchaloha. On the balcony of Circuit House I handed the container back to Baba and he straight away walked around giving some to each of the ladies who had not yet tasted the "food of the gods".

I sometimes wondered afterwards what had happened to the little bowl but about a year later a Bombay devotee told me he had visited Baba at Horsley Hills a day or two after the event and been presented with the panchaloha container. It still held some amrita which he and his family enjoyed, and the miracle bowl now occupies a place of honour in his home.
    The Story of Churning and Its Inner Meaning
    (http://www.saibabaofindia.com/man_of_miracles.html)

At a group meeting on the day after he had produced amrita I asked Swami about its inner meaning. He related the Hindu myth about its creation, which is briefly as follows.

Once in days of old a great rishi cursed Indra, the king of the lower gods (some rishis apparently had such tremendous power). As a result the gods and the three worlds began to lose their vigour. Vishnu the Preserver, one of the trinity forming the Hindu Supreme Godhead and therefore higher than Indra, offered the gods a solution. He told them that to save themselves they must churn the ocean of milk until from it they produced the invigorating elixir called amrita. This nectar would overcome the rishi's debilitating curse and renew the strength of the gods, and hence that of the three worlds over which they hold dominion.

Baba then spoke of the symbolic meaning in the story. The cream of truth, wisdom and immortality, symbolised by amrita, must be churned from the great cosmic ocean, the phenomenal universe in which we live and move. Because this universe is based on and must always operate on the principle of opposites, the evil forces (the demons) are as necessary as the good forces (the gods) for the churning - that is, for the continuous struggle in the lives of men. But, unfortunately, most men are like the demons: they forget the priceless product, immortality, in their chase after transient sense pleasures, symbolised by the illusion of a seductive woman.

"Once anrita, that is, 'falsehood', enters into the character", Sai Baba said, "men lose contact with amrita. He dies many deaths who is false, afraid of truth, blind to his own glorious heritage of immortality". So, he explained, when people fall a prey to pride, to attachment, to unreality, their thoughts and feelings have to be churned to bring out the dream of spiritual truth. The groups on either end of the churning rope are always the "forward-leading influences and the backward-pulling influences" - the gods and the demons, or, looked at in another way, the divine and animal forces within ourselves.
    Thus the story has an inner meaning at two levels: worldly and spiritual. In the worldly sense, I think, it might refer to the continuous struggle between the forces of good and evil. The good and evil are simply men in this Kali Yuga, the good are those who try to develop the normal chakras and the bad are those who specialize on the nether chakras. Nature is the ocean of milk which is exploited and Science is the mountain that is used as the stick with Technology as the snake. The churning brings forth many objects, some good, most bad for the environment and human spiritual progress. The amrita is characterized by the sages who take birth to dispense wisdom and faith. The churning in the Kali Yuga, however, is lopsided, with more venom than nectar produced, though the nectar is more powerful. We are waiting for a Nilakantha to appear and consume the poison in one stroke and save humanity from destruction.

Buddhist have Nilakantha Dharani,
    is Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva drink the poison (visa) of lobha, dosha and moha.

I think the important is the secret (rahasya) of the meaning of Nilakantha drink the poison.

You can download the music : http://www.k366.com/fo/music/qingjingdabeizhou.mp3

and thsi is the Dharani :

Namaste Shian,

Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post
    Buddhist have Nilakantha Dharani,
    is Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva drink the poison (visa) of lobha, dosha and moha.
    I think the important is the secret (rahasya) of the meaning of Nilakantha drink the poison.
    Yes, I like this interpretation! He drank the poison of greed, aversion, and delusion, the three enemies. And only when He takes away the three enemies, then the amrita (nectar of immortality) is found!!

You can download the music : http://www.k366.com/fo/music/qingjingdabeizhou.mp3
    and thsi is the Dharani :
    Thanks Shian, that Avalokiteshvara Dharani was most beautiful. I really liked listening to it .

OM Shanti,
    A.
    Last edited by Agnideva; 21 March 2007 at 04:37 PM. Reason: transcriptional error

Namaste Shian,

Agnideva, can you tell me what the verse of Nilakantha Dharani is have related with Hinduism? (i am very interested to know, but i know a little, in that Dharani have Mahakala , its have related in Hinduism. And have a Krsna name... but now i want to know more... more... hehe..^_^..)
    I am following up to your question from the other thread here. As I mentioned, there are many words used to describe Avalokitesvara, in general, and especially in the Nilakantha Dharani, that are commonly used in Hinduism with Shiva and Vishnu. The common names used in Hinduism are in bold:

>Nilakantha Dharani
    >
    >Namo Ratna Trayaya.
    >Namah Arya Avalokitesvaraya
    >Bodhisattvaya Mahasattvaya Mahakarunikaya
    >Sarva Bandhana Chedana Karaya .
    >Sarva Bhava Samudram Sosana Karana.
    >Sarva Vyadhi Prasamana Karaya.
    >Sarva Mrtyu Upadrava Vinasana Karana .
    >Sarva Bhaye Sutrana Karaya.
    >Tasmat Namas – Krtva Idam
    >Arya Avalokitesvara Bhastinam Nilakantha
    >Pi Nama Hrdayam Avarta Isyami
    >Sarvartha-sadhanam Subham Ajeyam
    >Sarva Bhutanam Bhava Marga Visuddhakam
    >Tadyatha, Om Aloke Aloka-mati Lokati Krante.
    >He Hare Arya Avalokitesvara
    >Maha bodhisattva , He Boddhisattva , He
    >Maha bodhisattva , He Virya Bodhisattva
    >He Mahakarunika Smara Hradayam.
    >Hi Hi , Hare Arya Avalokitesvara Mahesvara Parama
    >Maitra-Citta Mahakarunika.
    >Kuru Kuru Karman
    >Sadhaya SadhayaVidyam.
    >Ni Hi , Ni Hi Varnam Kamam-Game .
    >Vitta-Kama Vigama.
    >Siddha Yogesvara .
    >Dhuru Dhuru Viryanti, Maha Viryanti .
    >Dhara Dhara Dharendresvara.
    >Cala Cala Vimala Amala Murte
    >Arya Avalokitesvara Jina Krsna Jata-Makuta
    >Valam Ma Pralamba Maha Siddha
    >Vidyadhara.Vara Vara Maha Vara .
    >Bala Bala Maha Bala.
    >Cala Cala Maha Cala
    >Krsna-VarnaNigha Krsna-Paksa Nirghatana.
    >He Padma-Hasta Cara Cara Desa
    >Caresvara Krsna –Sarpa Krta Yajnopavita
    >Ehyehi Maha Varaha-Mukha, Tripura-Dahanesvara
    >Narayana Va Rupa Vara Marga Ari .
    >He Nilakantha , He Mahakara ,
    >Hala hala Visa Nir-jita Lokasya.
    >Raga Visa Vinasana.
    >Dvesa Visa Vinasana.
    >Moha Visa Vinasana
    >Huru Huru Mala, Huru Huru Hare, Maha Padmanabha
    >Sara Sara , Sri Sri , Suru Suru ,
    >Bhuru Bhuru
    >Buddhaya Buddhaya , Boddhaya Boddhaya
    >Maitri Nilakantha Ehyehi Vama
    >Shitha Simha-Mukha Hasa Hasa,
    >Munca Munca Mahattahasam Ehiyehi Pa
    >Maha Siddha Yogesvara
    >Bhana Bhana Vaco
    >Sadhaya Sadhaya Vidyam.
    >Smara Smaratam Bhagavantam Lokita
    >Vilokitam Lokesvaram Tathagatam Dadahi
    >Me Drasana Kamasya Darsanam
    >Pra-Hiadaya Mana Svaha.
    >Siddhaya Svaha.
    >Maha Siddhaya Svaha
    >Siddha Yogesvaraya Svaha
    >Nilakanthaya Svaha
    >Varaha-Mukhaya Svaha
    >Maha-dara Simha-Mukhaya Svaha
    >Siddha Vidyadharaya Svaha
    >Padma-Hastaya Svaha
    >Krsna-Sarpa Krta Yajnopavitaya Svaha
    >Maha Lakutadaharaya Svaha
    >Cakrayuddhaya Svaha
    >Sankha-Sabdani Bodhanaya Svaha
    >Vama Skandhadesa Shitha Krsnajinaya Svaha
    >Vyaghra-Carma Nivasanaya Svaha
    >Lokesvaraya Svaha
    >Sarva Siddhesvaraya Svaha
    >Namo Bhagavate Arya Avalokitesvaraya Bodhisattvaya
    >Maha Sattvaya Mahakarunikaya
    >Sidhyanthu Me Mantra-Padaya Svaha .

Nilakantha is an name of Rudra-Shiva that first appears in the Yajurveda, in the Sri Rudram hymn.

Nilakantha, Maheshvara, Jata-mukuta, Siddha-Yogeshvara, Maha-Siddha, Tripura-Dahaneshvara, Mahakara, Vyaghra-Charma, Lokesvara, Sarva Siddhesvaraya, Bhagavate are all used with Shiva in Hinduism.

Hare (Hari), Padmahasta, Varaha-mukha, Narayana, Padmanabha, Simha-mukha, Bhagavanta, Lokeshvara, Lakutadhara, Cakra-yudha, Sankha, Bhagavate are all used with Vishnu in Hinduism.

Many other terms in this Dharani are commonly used in Hinduism (Vidyadhara, Dharendra, Yajnopavita, etc).

The combination of Shiva and Vishnu descriptive names used in this Dharani reminds me of Harihara (also known as Shankaranarayana). In Shaivism, Harihara is a form of Shiva, and which brings together Mahavishnu-Narayana, the Supreme Lord in Vaishnavism, and Maharudra-Shiva, the Supreme Lord in Shaivism, and shows that ultimately the Divine is One.

Shankaranarayana Murti

OM Shanti,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    Namaste Shian,
    -------
    The combination of Shiva and Vishnu descriptive names used in this Dharani reminds me of Harihara (also known as Shankaranarayana). In Shaivism, Harihara is a form of Shiva, and which brings together Mahavishnu-Narayana, the Supreme Lord in Vaishnavism, and Maharudra-Shiva, the Supreme Lord in Shaivism, and shows that ultimately the Divine is One.

Shankaranarayana Murti

OM Shanti,
    A.
    Om Shanti

This forum should be the cleanest forum for some time to come, on account of it being driven by the Lord and driven through people like you.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

wow... thank you Agnideva.

Now, i know,
    like the story in Puranas, in Shiva Purana, other Devas became lower.
    in the Buddha and Bodhisattvas story, other Devas became lower.

there is MAHA KARUNA DHARANI :
    NAMO RATNATRAYAYA ��
    NAMO ARYAVALOKITESVARAYA
    BODHISATTVAYA MAHASATTVAYA MAHAKARUNIKAYA
    OM SARVA ABHAYAH SUNADHASYA
    NAMO SUKRTVEMAMA ARYAVALOKITESVARAGARBHA
    NAMO NILAKANTHA MAHABHADRASRAME
    SARVARTHASUBHAM AJEYAM SARVASATTVANAMAVARGA MAHADHATU
    TADYATHA: OM �� AVALOKE LOKITE KARATE
    HARI MAHABODHISATTVA SARVA SARVA MALA MALA
    MAHAHRDAYAM KURU KURU KARMAN
    KURUVIJAYATI MAHAVIJAYATI
    DHARADHARA DHARIN SURAYA
    CHALA CHALA MAMA BRAHMARA MUKTIR
    EHI EHI CHINDA CHINDA HARSAM PRACHALI
    BASA BASAM PRESAYA HULU HULU MALA
    HULU HULU HILE SARA SARA SIRI SIRI SURU SURU
    BODHIYA BODHIYA BODHAYA BODHAYA
    MAITREYA NILAKANTHA DHARSININA
    PAYAMANA SVAHA. SIDDHAYA SVAHA. MAHA SIDDHAYA SVAHA
    SIDDHA YOGESVARAYA SVAHA. NILAKANTHA SVAHA
    VARAHANANAYA SVAHA. SIMHASIRAMUKHAYA SVAHA
    SARVAMAHASIDDHAYA SVAHA. CAKRASIDDHAYA SVAHA
    PADMAHASTAYA SVAHA. NILAKANTHAVIKARAYA SVAHA
    MAHARSISANKARAYA SVAHA
    NAMO RATNATRAYAYA
    NAMO ARYAVALOKITESVARAYA SVAHA
    OM �� SIDDHYANTU MANTRA PADAYA SVAHA

where i can read about creation philosopy in this forum?
    i have some doubt, coz some Hindu people tell me the universe not have beginning, universe is like cycle...coz the Maya.
    The story about the frist creation of universe is the symbol about ourself, from the Brahman to alaya (councosiones?/ mind?) like Buddhism philosopy about Buddhata (Buddha Nature) and alaya. In Buddhism universe is not have the frist beggining, universe is so many (trisahasra mahasahasra lokhadhatu), so, like this : ...(not beggining) ...preserv-destroy- .. creat-preserv-destroy...

but some Hindus believe universe is have the first beggining.

(i know, this is not very important, like Buddha says the very important is cure our mind to find Buddhanature. But i just want to learn the many version of cretion philosophy in Hinduism.)

Namaskar Atanuji,
    Quote Originally Posted by Atanu Banerjee View Post
    This forum should be the cleanest forum for some time to come, on account of it being driven by the Lord and driven through people like you.
    Of this, there is no doubt. This forum is by far the cleanest I've come across. I thank the forum owner and moderators for keeping it that way. And yes, I do believe it is by the grace of Nilakantha Mahesvara that we are all here participating in these discussions on this particular forum.

OM Namah Shivaya.

Namaste Shian,

Now, i know,
    like the story in Puranas, in Shiva Purana, other Devas became lower.
    in the Buddha and Bodhisattvas story, other Devas became lower.
    Yes, you got it Shian, that's the way it works! In Vishnu Puranas, Vishnu becomes the highest and all other Devas become lower. In the Devi-Bhagavat Purana, Devi becomes the highest and all other Devas become lower. In the Ganesha purana, Ganesha is the highest, all other Devas become lower. We can go on and on ...

What's the point of all this? Focus. One needs to find one point, one form to focus upon, to meditate upon, and firmly believe that is the only and highest Divine form. The various forms are truly like rays of the sun ~ all rays really emanate from the same sun.

where i can read about creation philosopy in this forum?
    i have some doubt, coz some Hindu people tell me the universe not have beginning, universe is like cycle...coz the Maya.
    The story about the frist creation of universe is the symbol about ourself, from the Brahman to alaya (councosiones?/ mind?) like Buddhism philosopy about Buddhata (Buddha Nature) and alaya. In Buddhism universe is not have the frist beggining, universe is so many (trisahasra mahasahasra lokhadhatu), so, like this : ...(not beggining) ...preserv-destroy- .. creat-preserv-destroy...
    but some Hindus believe universe is have the first beggining.
    (i know, this is not very important, like Buddha says the very important is cure our mind to find Buddhanature. But i just want to learn the many version of cretion philosophy in Hinduism.)
    Shian, why don't you start a new thread on creation ... we can discuss this there, and hopefully get different perspectives from different members.

Regards,
    A.
    Last edited by Agnideva; 24 April 2007 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    Namaste Shian,
    What's the point of all this? Focus. One needs to find one point, one form to focus upon, to meditate upon, and firmly believe that is the only and highest Divine form. Regards, A.
    Namaste Shian and AD,
    Here is what the brahmavit's ( those established in Brahman) say of this matter:

'If a worshipper of Devi does not see her in the images of Vishnu and Shankar etc. this would imply that he is doubting the omnipresence of his Adored One. Such a devotee who sees his Adored One partially remains imperfect' Swami Brahmananada Saraswati

That is, one choosing Visnu, Devi, Siva - they are all inclusive, there is no exclusion to wholeness, to Bhuma that Visnu or Siva or Devi would not incorporate.... this is the wisdom of the brahmajnanin.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information