Thread: Mustard Oil and Lord Hanuman

Mustard Oil and Lord Hanuman

Hari Om!

Forgive me if this thread has been started elsewhere but I couldn't find anything with the search option.

Question: Is it proper to pour mustard oil at the feet of Lord Hanuman or over His head? In the Mandir that I attend, I see devotees doing both, but I was always under the impression that it was to go on the feet but do not recall the source or understand why.

Re: Mustard Oil and Lord Hanuman

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

the nārada purāṇa ( some call nāradīya purāṇa ) will have this information on mustard oil, lamp, etc. for hanumanji (some prefer writing hanumān-ji).

Now this mustard oil has much to do with śani ( saturn) and hanmanji (mars) and the offering of a lamp on Saturdays ( owned by saturn).

It is usually suggested we offer the mustard oil at hanumanji's feet. Yet too we offer light ( lamp) of mustard oil.

The relationship of śani and hanmanji is quite interesting. The grief from śani is alleviated by hanumanji .

praṇām

words
    • Hanuman-ji is from hanumat, meaning having large jaws. If we go down one level to hanu means 'anything which destroys or injures life ' , a weapon ; as han means to smite , slay , hit , kill , mar , destroy.
    • On another level hanumān-ji was the perfect devotee of śrī rāmacandra in his war with rāvaṇa.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information