Thread: What does Krishna teach?

What does Krishna teach?

I have been told that Krishna stands for totality, for total acceptance of life--I have even heard of him referred to as a party animal and it was his dancing and enjoyment of life that gives him his ecstatic state.

Can some one touch on this?

Does Krishna teach enjoyment? What exactly are Krishna's main teachings?

Re: What does Krishna teach?

Quote Originally Posted by WTyler View Post

Please read Bhagavad Gita. You will have all your questions answered.

I have been told that Krishna stands for totality, for total acceptance of life--I have even heard of him referred to as a party animal and it was his dancing and enjoyment of life that gives him his ecstatic state.

Namaste WTyler,

Such statements can be unfortunately misunderstood easily by the mundane mind on a material plane. As SOV has said, our first duty is to read and understand the Bhagavad Gita.

Please note these statements carefully :

1. The material world is an UPSIDE-DOWN, many times perverted, reflection of the spiritual world.

2. Never mistakenly think for even a second that "enjoyment" "partying" or "party-animal" of the material world have anything to do with Leelas of the Leela-Purushottam ParaBrahman Parameshwar Bhagvan Shri KrushNa.

3. NOTHING about KrushNa, His abode, pastimes, names, is like the dealings of this material world.

4. You can choose ONLY ONE:
    a) sense enjoyment, partying, beer (from your other thread)
    b) KrushNa
    Detachment from this world and its pleasures is the key to self-realization.
    Detachment from the world can advance attachment to KrushNa
    Attachment to KrushNa helps with detachment from the world.

4. Those who want to really understand KrushNa leela, should first understand KrushNa as pUrNa Purushottam - read Shrimad Bhagvatam serially from Canto 1, 2, 3, ... upto 12.

This is only one of the austierities one has to perform to understand and not misunderstand Shri KrushNa Leelas. In the gita KrushNa says anyone on the spiritual or self-realization path has to perform some 'tap' i.e. austierity. The bhakti marg is not devoid of austierities - they may take a different form. Yet, the path is joyous. Bhakti is to be joyfully performed - like sankirtan, and cherishing His Leelas in the heart.

5. Using words like "party-animal" will simply cause a disservice and confusion. One should not say such things casually about Bhagvan.

In the GopAl-tApani upanishad, it is mentioned that KrushNa is a bramhachAri (celibate) - and the Gopis told river Yamuna "If KrushNa is bramhachari, you will part waters and make way for us to cross" and immediately Yamuna waters parted, thus proving that KrushNa is bramhachari. Just because he appears to "dance with gopis" does not mean He has even a trace of material desire to dance with them. Neither do the gopis have any material desires of their own (He was 8,9,10). They only want to please KrushNa and He wants to fulfill their non-material esoteric desire by giving them His transcendental association.

The whole Leela is too esoteric to understand with a material mind and one should not even try to think of it on the mundane plane.

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ~
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

I think of Lord Krishna as being thoroughly spiritual. The thing is, his activity is mirrored in terms of materiality. So our freedom is His Freedom, but under a differing mode or aspect.

Taking a card from Western philosophy, Plotinus spoke of a "principle of plenitude" in which the ontological status of things, from the highest to the lowest, eventually bottoms out or reaches a peak. Such is the essence of the supreme plenitude and being of God: that he contains within Himself both being and nothingness, both existence and non-existence, spirit and matter. In his "three steps" he contains and upholds both extremes.

Namaste

Sri Krishna is above all the gunas. Therefore he is always situated in transcendental bliss regardless of appearances.
    If we want to attain to his level of joy we should follow the spiritual teachings that he gave us. So his life shows us
    what is possible but his teachings show us how to realize that possibility.

Aum Shanti

Last edited by R Gitananda; 24 September 2011 at 02:28 AM.
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Thread Information